Sponsored by:

PDK - gears not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 11:38 PM
David350
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PDK - gears not engaging

I was backing out of my garage this morning when I paused for a minute while I futzed with my phone. Car was in gear (reverse) and foot on the brake, maybe for 20 seconds. My driveway is short but has a nice slope to it. I took my foot of the brake and backed down the driveway. Turns out I was just coasting down because when I went to shift into drive, nothing engaged. I worked through the gears, nothing. No drive, no reverse basically stuck in neutral. The gear position dash indicator light would flash in each position. I shut the car off, start the car back up and I’m back in business. Shifts fine when driving. Someone point me in the right direction?
Old 09-15-2020, 01:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by David350
I was backing out of my garage this morning when I paused for a minute while I futzed with my phone. Car was in gear (reverse) and foot on the brake, maybe for 20 seconds. My driveway is short but has a nice slope to it. I took my foot of the brake and backed down the driveway. Turns out I was just coasting down because when I went to shift into drive, nothing engaged. I worked through the gears, nothing. No drive, no reverse basically stuck in neutral. The gear position dash indicator light would flash in each position. I shut the car off, start the car back up and I’m back in business. Shifts fine when driving. Someone point me in the right direction?
Identical to what I had on my -09 C4S. Shut the car down, started it back up and things were back to normal. Same exact thing happened again about a month later except this time things did not return to normal after shutting down 4 or 5 times and starting back up. Car would not move in any gear selected. So flatbed to the dealer. Was told the next day that the PDK had to be replaced at a cost of $14,000. I had an extended warranty so it only cost me the $250 deductible.

I should add that I had the " transmission emergency run" warning come on a couple of times a month or two before the events that led to the replacement. Noticed nothing out of order in terms of operation on either of the two times this warning came on. Shut the car down and started it back which got rid of the warning both times.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but like I said, your event was identical to mine which eventually led to the PDK replacement. Hopefully yours was nothing more than a one time glitch. Is your car under warranty?
Old 09-15-2020, 02:08 AM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Identical to what I had on my -09 C4S. Shut the car down, started it back up and things were back to normal. Same exact thing happened again about a month later except this time things did not return to normal after shutting down 4 or 5 times and starting back up. Car would not move in any gear selected. So flatbed to the dealer. Was told the next day that the PDK had to be replaced at a cost of $14,000. I had an extended warranty so it only cost me the $250 deductible.

I should add that I had the " transmission emergency run" warning come on a couple of times a month or two before the events that led to the replacement. Noticed nothing out of order in terms of operation on either of the two times this warning came on. Shut the car down and started it back which got rid of the warning both times.

I don't mean to be an alarmist but like I said, your event was identical to mine which eventually led to the PDK replacement. Hopefully yours was nothing more than a one time glitch. Is your car under warranty?
This is not what I wanted to hear. It’s a 2009 997.2S... no warranty. Ironically I was backing out to to take it in for service including the PDK. Were the gear position lights flashing when you shifted between gears? Feels like software to me but who knows.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

This is not what I wanted to hear. It’s a 2009 997.2S... no warranty. Ironically I was backing out to to take it in for service including the PDK. Were the gear position lights flashing when you shifted between gears? Feels like software to me but who knows.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but felt I had to share my experience with you since they were so similar. As for the gear position lights flashing or not, I can't remember . It's been more than 4 years since I went through that and that car was sold shortly thereafter. And I think your software assumption is spot on. The fault codes the dealership managed to pull all pointed to software/electronic issues causing the failure.

As you probably know though, the dealers are very limited in terms of what they're allowed to repair on the PDK units so anything that requires opening the transmission up is off limits and it's full replacement instead which is what happened to me. Like my service advisor said....."could be a $200 electronic component but we're not allowed to go there". Frustrating since the PDK was introduced some 12 years ago. You'd think the dealerships would have more latitude by now. Maybe they do but it's not something I've heard or read about.

Have you ever had the "Transmission Emergency Run" light come on?
Old 09-15-2020, 07:09 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Find the, Guide to respiring a PDK transmission. It's an active thread currently. Lots of great info there.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,204 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I wouldn't own a PDK car without an extended warranty and I never buy extended warranties. The potential for a PDK failure is what kept me from buying a Macan a couple years ago, and now the window has passed, as my wife is back to DDing her 997 since my daughter is now driving.

While it's still working, I'd sign up for an extended warranty.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:57 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

An extended warranty for a 997 can be very expensive, depending on age, coverage and mileage. Ideally, a drive train warranty would be all that is needed, as it is far cheaper. However, since almost all PDK issues are electronic failures, there has been some discussion about whether or not this would be covered by a drive train warranty.
Sam-g (06-02-2021)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 AM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
I wouldn't own a PDK car without an extended warranty and I never buy extended warranties. The potential for a PDK failure is what kept me from buying a Macan a couple years ago, and now the window has passed, as my wife is back to DDing her 997 since my daughter is now driving.

is there one you recommend?
Old 09-15-2020, 11:01 AM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Find the, Guide to respiring a PDK transmission. It's an active thread currently. Lots of great info there.
read through it last night, great write up. I’m relieved to see that PDK’s are rebuildable. Hopefully it won’t come to that.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:09 AM
David350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I know it's not what you wanted to hear but felt I had to share my experience with you since they were so similar. As for the gear position lights flashing or not, I can't remember . It's been more than 4 years since I went through that and that car was sold shortly thereafter. And I think your software assumption is spot on. The fault codes the dealership managed to pull all pointed to software/electronic issues causing the failure.

As you probably know though, the dealers are very limited in terms of what they're allowed to repair on the PDK units so anything that requires opening the transmission up is off limits and it's full replacement instead which is what happened to me. Like my service advisor said....."could be a $200 electronic component but we're not allowed to go there". Frustrating since the PDK was introduced some 12 years ago. You'd think the dealerships would have more latitude by now. Maybe they do but it's not something I've heard or read about.

Have you ever had the "Transmission Emergency Run" light come on?
No the only message I received was “service now”. No countdown, no warning. The car just passed 60k mi and is getting serviced now.

The whole thing is very fishy. Cold start, reverse works, stop on incline (~30 degrees) gear disengages and wont reengage. It’s as if a sensor tripped and shut it down. Maybe because of fluid level on the incline. I don’t have a good service history so who knows.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

is there one you recommend?
Fidelity Warranty Services. The Platinum coverage is the top level.

Many here have worked with:
Michael Jourdan, Mossy Motors - New Orleans LA.
mjourdan@mossymotors.com

The following 5 users liked this post by Ironman88:
chekraze (09-22-2020), David350 (09-15-2020), Doug H (09-15-2020), sandwedge (09-16-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:59 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Exactly why I waited for a .2 MT
Old 09-15-2020, 12:52 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

No the only message I received was “service now”. No countdown, no warning. The car just passed 60k mi and is getting serviced now.

The whole thing is very fishy. Cold start, reverse works, stop on incline (~30 degrees) gear disengages and wont reengage. It’s as if a sensor tripped and shut it down. Maybe because of fluid level on the incline. I don’t have a good service history so who knows.
The problem is the pdk is way past due on service. Needs to be serviced every 6 years regardless of miles.

You are now at 11 years, almost double the service interval. Unfortunately, many are not doing their pdk service at 6 years regardless of miles as many are doing service stuff themselves or using Indies, many of which do not do pdk services.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:21 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

David - Please get a code readout using a Durametric, PIWIS 2, or similar scan tool as there will be one stored from the service message (code should start with a "P"). It could be something as simple as a sensor malfunction at the gear shifter which is easy to access and relatively inexpensive to fix. It could also be a glitch in the CAN bus communication between the units. Last off (and hopefully not) it could be an intermittent fault with one of the sensors inside the PDK. These are rare and the PDK is very reliable, but they do happen.

Post the code once you get it as I've got all the factory diagnostic and t-shooting guides. Thanks for the kind comments on my PDK post, we are learning more and more about the PDK everyday and have a few success stories already with folks doing DIY repairs.
Kpadas (09-19-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Petza914

Same here for obvious reasons. And I thought the same thing about getting a policy while the PDK is still working. Going by the failure on my car, PDK failures can give advance warnings as I described with mine. Two "transmission emergency run" events prior to the failure, both which were easily cancelled out by turning the car off. In retrospect though I see those two events as a heads up that the transmission was not feeling well and that perhaps bigger issues could be ahead.

Quick Reply: PDK - gears not engaging