Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spring rates are you running with your coilovers on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Hans2016
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no helpers and the ride is still on the harsh side, that’s why I asked about the TPS. I like to lower the tire pressure, but I like to keep the TPS too.
I drove EVO’s with the Oehlins and they were much more compliant.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans2016
I have no helpers and the ride is still on the harsh side, that’s why I asked about the TPS. I like to lower the tire pressure, but I like to keep the TPS too.
I drove EVO’s with the Oehlins and they were much more compliant.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'll probably go with 250/500. It's fairly similar to what you went with, and it's within the 25% spring rate allowance Ohlins says you can go without a re-valve. And at the same time, sadly, I will be swapping my new Tarett monoball camber plates out for the OEM rubber mounts due to the annoying noise that one of them is making.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,206 Likes on 3,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'll probably go with 250/500. It's fairly similar to what you went with, and it's within the 25% spring rate allowance Ohlins says you can go without a re-valve. And at the same time, sadly, I will be swapping my new Tarett monoball camber plates out for the OEM rubber mounts due to the annoying noise that one of them is making.
Why is only one of them making a noise? If the other is quiet, seems like you should also be able to quiet down the other one, no?
Old 10-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
Why is only one of them making a noise? If the other is quiet, seems like you should also be able to quiet down the other one, no?
It's a question that has me scratching my head as well. I assembled them the same on each side. The only thing I didn't check was the factory assembly of the camber plates (AKA I didn't check tightness of the allen screws that hold the cap that captures the monoball bearings in the plate). Could be a manufacturing defect or a bad monoball in there (though it's brand new).

I used chassis ears to determine it was the right camber plate that is making the noise. Of course, with chassis ears you never know 100%..... but I'm 90% certain since the loudest sound heard was when I had the clamp on the camber plate itself and another on the unibody that the camber plate bolts to. Strut bearings are brand new OEM.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,206 Likes on 3,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
It's a question that has me scratching my head as well. I assembled them the same on each side. The only thing I didn't check was the factory assembly of the camber plates (AKA I didn't check tightness of the allen screws that hold the cap that captures the monoball bearings in the plate). Could be a manufacturing defect or a bad monoball in there (though it's brand new).

I used chassis ears to determine it was the right camber plate that is making the noise. Of course, with chassis ears you never know 100%..... but I'm 90% certain since the loudest sound heard was when I had the clamp on the camber plate itself and another on the unibody that the camber plate bolts to. Strut bearings are brand new OEM.
I found that when I installed mine, if I tried to tighten the nuts on the top side without also holding the bolt heads on the bottom side that it would unscrew the bolts slightly. Before scrapping them, maybe double-check that the bolts underneath are still tight, then hold those and retorque the top nuts.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:57 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
I found that when I installed mine, if I tried to tighten the nuts on the top side without also holding the bolt heads on the bottom side that it would unscrew the bolts slightly. Before scrapping them, maybe double-check that the bolts underneath are still tight, then hold those and retorque the top nuts.
Thanks I will give that a shot just to double check, though I used blue locktite on the bolts when I threaded them into the camber plates and torqued them down quite well. I really doubt they moved but it IS possible and it's also easy to check so I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:16 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 05:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
My friend if you've not already happened upon the following, it may be of interest. Hope you get everything sorted to your satisfaction.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...unt-noise.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...g-wheel-3.html
Thanks for that.... I had actually found that first link some time ago while googling for my issue, but this is the first time I have seen the second link. I really think it makes sense to just go back to the OEM upper mounts and be totally done with it... Doing just a few HPDE days a year, I'm not going to notice the difference, especially since I have GT3 LCAs which I can use to get as much camber as I will ever need.

Quick Reply: What spring rates are you running with your coilovers on the street?