Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone else have problems with TireRack warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:39 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 215 Posts
Default does anyone else have problems with TireRack warranty?

I buy all my tires at TireRack and had to use their warranty a couple times and it was always very easy and actually pleasant to deal with them.
This week i had a nail in the sidewall, the tire can't be repaired but is under warranty.
OK easy-peasey? Well, not anymore: TireRack has outsourced their Warranty
I opened a claim with them and they closed it as "reparable" ($25)
They don't have a phone number and all the e-mails I sent them were ignored.
Well let's all get out the popcorn and watch how customer loyalty will go in the crapper.
The following users liked this post:
PowderJunkie (11-02-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:48 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
I buy all my tires at TireRack and had to use their warranty a couple times and it was always very easy and actually pleasant to deal with them.
This week i had a nail in the sidewall, the tire can't be repaired but is under warranty.
Well let's all get out the popcorn and watch how customer loyalty will go in the crapper.
Sonsio? I had 2 claims in the last year. One for a replacement. One for a plug. The replacement took some paperwork but they paid out both times.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:36 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

No, the outsourced it to "Nation Safe Drivers"
https://trrclaims.nationsafedrivers.com
Old 10-16-2020, 08:58 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

No, the outsourced it to "Nation Safe Drivers"
https://trrclaims.nationsafedrivers.com
The goal of most claim administrators is to keep claim payouts low. Dont be discouraged and continue to puruse. And send TR corporate a few emails telling them how disappointed you are because of the hassle you are being put through. You will utlimately prevail.
VT Blue (11-02-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

They'll stall hoping you just give up. Emails won't do much good. Call TR and maybe they can get you a phone number to call and be a PITA with. Maybe if TR knew how things were going they'll eventually drop them for a different carrier.

VT Blue (11-02-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:13 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

The Tire Rack outsourced the warranty administration for two reasons:

1) Their desire to save money on warranty claims

2) They want to off load the hassles

If the Tire Rack is like most corporations, the decision to outsource was probably driven by their CFO.

Other executive leaders with TR need to know about the nonsense going on (OP's situation). That could lead to a change of direction on how they administer their warranty claims.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Hindsight2010 (10-16-2020), VT Blue (11-02-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

update: I followed your guys' advice and called the TireRack support hotline. They then transferred me over to "Nation Safe Drivers" and I could finally *talk* to someone and (hopefully) solve the problem.
Ironman88 (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

No reputable tire shop will repair sidewall damage. This is what I found looking into Tire Rack's warranty policy:

Manufacturer Road Hazard Coverage

While road hazard injuries (cuts, punctures, snags and bruises) or impact damage caused by potholes, curbs or other objects in the road are an undesirable part of driving, the tire damage they inflict is not within the control of the tire manufacturer and is not typically covered by their limited tire warranties. Regardless of its quality, no tire is indestructible.

Currently there are a limited number of tires that remain backed by a tire manufacturer road hazard coverage.

However, because many drivers desire the financial security that a road hazard program provides, Tire Rack includes its free Tire Road Hazard Protection with most tires. See all the details here.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=50
I guess this is the key sentence: "However, because many drivers desire the financial security that a road hazard program provides, Tire Rack includes its free Tire Road Hazard Protection with most tires." So has it been mentioned as an excuse that your particular tire does not include the free Tire Road Hazard Protection?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:57 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

I just put new tires on my S3 (Audi) in January and then COVID. Car sat (mostly) for about 5 months. Then I started driving again and in the 3 months picked up 1 flat that was a sidewall puncture, 2 tires that the sidewall was ripped due to bad potholes (thanks Gov. Newsome for not fixing our roads). TireRack's warranty program replaced all 3 tires for nothing. The paperwork was pretty simple and within 2 weeks I had checks for full replacement costs. The tires only had about 3K miles on them at the time of the incidents. Worse run of luck I have ever had with a set of tires and road hazards. I have since bought 2 more sets of tires from the TR for other cars and their service is outstanding.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:56 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Speak of the Devil and he shall appear. That's screw #3 in the last year. Tire Rack Road Hazzard insurance expired too. Life in the big city.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
Speak of the Devil and he shall appear. That's screw #3 in the last year. Tire Rack Road Hazzard insurance expired too. Life in the big city.

Rear tire would be my guess. I've had my share of nails and screws over the years and it's always been one of the rears. Never had a nail or a screw in a front tire. The theory given to me by the dealership and a tire shop I used before getting centerlocks is that you hit the nail/screw laying flat on the road with one of the front tires, sending it tumbling towards the rears. If the tumbling works out just right/wrong, the nail or screw ends up in front of one of the rears at just the right angle allowing it to penetrate.

Obviously nothing helpful about this post but I always wondered why it's always the rears.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I've had 4 screws/nails in tires since February. 2 of them were covered by TireRack (Sonsio) without any hassle. The other 2 tires were not purchased at TireRack. Oh yeah, I've also had to replace my winter tires for the Porsche and my all-weather tires for the Expedition this year. Michelin ought to give me some kind of frequent buyer award for this year.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:46 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Rear tire would be my guess. I've had my share of nails and screws over the years and it's always been one of the rears. Never had a nail or a screw in a front tire. The theory given to me by the dealership and a tire shop I used before getting centerlocks is that you hit the nail/screw laying flat on the road with one of the front tires, sending it tumbling towards the rears. If the tumbling works out just right/wrong, the nail or screw ends up in front of one of the rears at just the right angle allowing it to penetrate.

Obviously nothing helpful about this post but I always wondered why it's always the rears.
Yep. A PS4 305 rear this time. The other rear has a plug from last year and one of the fronts was replaced (yes they do pick up nails). I should take an ice pick to the other front just to get it out of the way.

Now if I can only get away with just replacing the one. I think Porsche allows 2/32" difference. If it's close I can always pay Tire Rack to shave it for me. I think it's $25.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:56 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
If it makes you feel any better, I've had 4 screws/nails in tires since February. 2 of them were covered by TireRack (Sonsio) without any hassle. The other 2 tires were not purchased at TireRack. Oh yeah, I've also had to replace my winter tires for the Porsche and my all-weather tires for the Expedition this year. Michelin ought to give me some kind of frequent buyer award for this year.
I just wish I could get those apes in hard hats to pay for it. Two big construction sites near my parking garage. The price of progress.

I'll be replacing my front winters this season too. At least I had the fun of wearing them out.

Quick Reply: does anyone else have problems with TireRack warranty?