Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner question. Is this a PDK concern?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 02:26 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New owner question. Is this a PDK concern?

Just picked up my car yesterday and I noticed when I put it into reverse I feel like I have to depress the accelerator much more than I would in a typical car. I sense that it goes into reverse gear OK it’s just that to actually get it to reverse requires more pedal power than I would’ve expected. I only had it for a little while tomorrow so I’ll pay more attention today to give more details
Car is 2011 ‘GTS with 13K miles and good maintenance history with one Porsche dealer
Old 10-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts

I am trying to think back to my 997.2 C2S with PDK. I do think that I remember having to give it more gas, but I can't be sure. What I would mostly pay attention to is whether or not the clutch is slipping in any gear when accelerating.
The following users liked this post:
chekraze (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

If that is the only issue you're experiencing, it is doubtful that you have any problem with your PDK.

Has your car had the 6 yr / 60k mile PDK clutch fluid replacement service yet? If not, would be good to have that done.

chekraze (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. I have an officially added on the Fidelity warranty yet .

Another PDK question. In sport mode should I notice fairly quick downshifts when I give decent press to the pedal or is that only in sport plus?
I have more experience driving to PDK and a 991 and for sure I felt it had sharper reflexes
Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I had this discussion with my service dept long ago. You have a few things going on with a pdk. You have a hill hold /roll back feature, when you are on the brake and release it, it holds hard, incase you are on a hill. It doesnt know why you pushed the brake hard.
And you have a slow roll off feature, to proceed ahead in traffic. So you have to press gas harder to get it back under your commands.
Alot going on when you are stopped and try to go forward or reverse. Alot is fighting you
chekraze (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

There definitely should be a difference in the shifting in "Sport" mode. The car will learn or adapt to driver input. Could be your car was driven very conservatively by the previous owner.

Once your car is fully warmed up (oil temp over 170 or so), you should give it a good aggressive run.

With only 13k miles on that car over nearly 10 years, it's certainly spent quite a bit of time sitting still. Take it out and enjoy it!

chekraze (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 03:15 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Drive and enjoy. Reverse can be a bit awkward with pdk and all of the dual clutch transmissions. You should feel it in my wife’d Gallardo Spyder.
chekraze (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 05:13 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Your reverse sounds normal - mine does the exact same thing - more so when cold. Sport should hold the shift points higher (under light throttle), about 2200rpm vs about 1000-1200 in normal. Sport plus will hold the up shift until red line and keep all the shifts between (I forget exact numbers) about 6800-red line. See attached for more info
https://rtr-pca.org/index.php/menu-t...chrono-package
Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Normal on my 2012 GTS.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Just picked up my car yesterday and I noticed when I put it into reverse I feel like I have to depress the accelerator much more than I would in a typical car. I sense that it goes into reverse gear OK it’s just that to actually get it to reverse requires more pedal power than I would’ve expected. I only had it for a little while tomorrow so I’ll pay more attention today to give more details
Car is 2011 ‘GTS with 13K miles and good maintenance history with one Porsche dealer
I have the same car as yours but with many more miles (66,000). It does the same thing in reverse and sometimes in first too when cold so I wouldn't worry. Also as someone else said, check and see if the 6 year PDK service has been done. If not your car is obviously past due.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. I have an officially added on the Fidelity warranty yet .

Another PDK question. In sport mode should I notice fairly quick downshifts when I give decent press to the pedal or is that only in sport plus?
I have more experience driving to PDK and a 991 and for sure I felt it had sharper reflexes

At just 13K miles in almost 10 years it would be easy to assume that your car has lived a quiet and tranquil life with the previous owner and if that's the case that's what the car's memory has adjusted to. Don't be afraid to give it a good workout now and then once warmed up. Forget sport plus in auto mode for street driving but try it in manual mode and see how you like it. It's just like sport mode but quicker shifts and the "sharper reflexes" you long for when you want them.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 318 Posts

Can’t speak to your specific car, and as others have said perhaps it needs a service. In my car, Sport Mode is a great balance for Canyon Carving.

As regards the 991...

When Porsche first released the PDK with the 997.2, it was a revelation in terms of shift responsiveness and performance for the time.

However, Porsche has continued to develop the PDK and a common theme from reviewers is that it seems to continually get better with each new generation of car (991.x through 992). On the flip side, people more used to driving the latest generation PDK cars have commented that the 997 PDK (though still very good) isn’t quite as spritely as the newer stuff.

But that’s to be expected. Technology moves on. In fact if we didn’t see improvements over time, it means Porsche Development aren’t doing their jobs.

Of course this isn’t a zero sum game. The PDK in the 997 is still very good (IMO).

Karl.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Can’t speak to your specific car, and as others have said perhaps it needs a service. In my car, Sport Mode is a great balance for Canyon Carving.

As regards the 991...

When Porsche first released the PDK with the 997.2, it was a revelation in terms of shift responsiveness and performance for the time.

However, Porsche has continued to develop the PDK and a common theme from reviewers is that it seems to continually get better with each new generation of car (991.x through 992). On the flip side, people more used to driving the latest generation PDK cars have commented that the 997 PDK (though still very good) isn’t quite as spritely as the newer stuff.

But that’s to be expected. Technology moves on. In fact if we didn’t see improvements over time, it means Porsche Development aren’t doing their jobs.

Of course this isn’t a zero sum game. The PDK in the 997 is still very good (IMO).

Karl.
Yeah, totally. The new pdk in the 992 is just beyond comprehension good. The 997.2 pdk is first generation and much, much better than the earlier generation F1s, egears and etc. on the Italians and R8. The new pdk in the 992 is simply another level as is the entire car and performance level . . . even if you do not like its design . . .

Quick Reply: New owner question. Is this a PDK concern?