Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 05:11 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Can you explain the real life difference between a unit that taps the MOST and one that uses aux in? Honestly just want to understand the difference. Thank you!
Perhaps one of the vendors can pipe in but I'll take a crack at this. The source material is digital but somewhere along the way it has to get converted to analog for audio amplification. So that D/A conversion takes place within the Carplay unit in the "Aux in" box units whereas it takes place within your head unit (using your existing D/A circuitry) in the "MOST" box units.

In theory you want to do that D/A conversion as late as possible, right before audio amplification, as digital is much less susceptible to noise and distortion as it travels along the signal path. So that would make the MOST units seem like the better choice since it's not passing analog signals between boxes. However, there's some inherent assumptions such as the head unit's D/A's are of comparable quality to that used in the "Aux in" units. Plus there is almost certainly some reformatting of the digital signal within the "MOST" units to convert it to a comparable format used in MOST. Again, we are assuming this was done competently and didn't cut corners.

So yes, I would agree that the MOST boxes do seem to be a technically superior approach but the devil is in the details on this stuff. Just claiming the MOST boxes are digital and therefore better isn't the full picture. That being said, I'm leaning towards the MOST box myself as the things I mention above aren't rocket science.

I appreciate Roman's comments here and would much rather deal with US support than some guy in China running emails through google translate. But the name "Mr 12 Volt" is kind of silly sounding and IMO trivializes what looks like a great product.

Last edited by PV997; 05-25-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:19 PM
johnf997
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious if anyone has gone the Becker route? My head unit died, and I have not seen a decent deal pop-up on a used one. I am sending it back to Becker for refurbishment.

Becker offers a Carplay upgrade when they do the refurbishment for $700. I am curious how it compares to the units. mentioned here.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

I am leaning towards the Mr. 12V/Rennkit setup for my soon-to-be delivered 2009 997.2 Cab. The challenge I am working through is whether the video board will "fit" inside the PCM chassis if there is a factory SiriusXM unit installed. If it is a matter of simply adding support post extenders, that is not really an issue. If however, adding post extension to properly clear the XM unit but then creating ribbon clearance issues that becomes problematic.

I've asked Dave, and he noted that some customers have in fact done exactly what I am proposing to do. I just don't have an answer to the extension/clearance question. Can anyone offer experienced input here? Really appreciate it.

Toby
Old 09-07-2023, 01:57 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
I am leaning towards the Mr. 12V/Rennkit setup for my soon-to-be delivered 2009 997.2 Cab. The challenge I am working through is whether the video board will "fit" inside the PCM chassis if there is a factory SiriusXM unit installed. If it is a matter of simply adding support post extenders, that is not really an issue. If however, adding post extension to properly clear the XM unit but then creating ribbon clearance issues that becomes problematic.

I've asked Dave, and he noted that some customers have in fact done exactly what I am proposing to do. I just don't have an answer to the extension/clearance question. Can anyone offer experienced input here? Really appreciate it.

Toby
I've installed plenty of Mr12Volt units on the shop. They do fit, you just need the correct offsets. If local I can do your install.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP

Last edited by Roman ACS; 09-07-2023 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Pennycuff (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:37 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Toby
Yes it will fit. I have XM and installed this circuit board in the PCM of my 2009. It is tight, but it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by doclouie:
Roman ACS (09-07-2023), Toby Pennycuff (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
I've installed plenty of Mr12Volt units on the shop. They do fit, you just need the correct offsets. If local I can do your install.
Thank you Roman. I'm in Texas, so...... If you know the size of the extension, I can probably get some off of Amazon or somewhere (too bad Fry's disappeared). Thank you for the information. It's very helpful.

Toby
Old 09-07-2023, 02:51 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Yes it will fit. I have XM and installed this circuit board in the PCM of my 2009. It is tight, but it works.

Thank you sir!
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 03:33 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a new Joye Auto PCM 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay / Android Audio unit for sale in the Marketplace

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1357781

Old 09-08-2023, 08:25 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Roman. I'm in Texas, so...... If you know the size of the extension, I can probably get some off of Amazon or somewhere (too bad Fry's disappeared). Thank you for the information. It's very helpful.

Toby
I bought this assortment and ended up using 35 mm (20 mm and 15 mm stacked). Make sure you get 2.5 mm for the threaded portion.

Amazon Amazon

It is really tight with the ribbon cables, particularly if you have a PCM 3.0 with multidisc changer. If you just have a single disc player (like I do), there's a huge amount of empty space in the top half. There's a thin metal piece snapped into the top half that separates it from the bottom half. I just left it out and it opens up plenty of room available for the ribbon cables. No problems whatsoever so far from leaving it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
RennKit-Dave (09-08-2023), Toby Pennycuff (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:40 AM
signde
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

or just buy your mr12volt directly from roman and he includes the standoffs you need. that's what i did.
The following 2 users liked this post by signde:
myltz400 (12-20-2023), Toby Pennycuff (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 09:55 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
I bought this assortment and ended up using 35 mm (20 mm and 15 mm stacked). Make sure you get 2.5 mm for the threaded portion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMV5RMG...roduct_details

It is really tight with the ribbon cables, particularly if you have a PCM 3.0 with multidisc changer. If you just have a single disc player (like I do), there's a huge amount of empty space in the top half. There's a thin metal piece snapped into the top half that separates it from the bottom half. I just left it out and it opens up plenty of room available for the ribbon cables. No problems whatsoever so far from leaving it out.
@PV997 Thanks!!! This is the detail I was looking for. Really appreciate the info.

Toby
Old 09-10-2023, 12:06 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by signde
or just buy your mr12volt directly from roman and he includes the standoffs you need. that's what i did.
Well since I bought the Isudar that is $250 cheaper than Mr 12 Volt I didn't mind spending $11.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:25 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

@Roman ACS Good morning Roman,

I did receive my Mr. 12Volt unit for my 997.2 PDK. I'm planning to install it in the coming days and wanted to confirm a few things prior to attempting installation.
  1. I've seen plenty of posts in various threads on this 997 Forum regarding backup camera issues. I have the Natika backup camera from Amazon (
    Amazon.com: NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) : Everything Else Amazon.com: NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black) : Everything Else
    ) This camera's resolution is 950x576 but I cannot find any frame rate information. Is this camera a supported option? Assuming so, what configuration options are suggested in the Mr. 12Voly unit to properly accommodate this camera?
  2. For the DIP switches on the Mr. 12Volt, switch 5 is configured ON, but all others are OFF. I have seen posts that indicate the switch 1 must also be in the ON position for a PDK car. Is this setting (switches 1 and 5 ON) correct only for the most recent version of the firmware? Or does this setting also apply to earlier versions of the firmware?
  3. Is there a way to determine the version of firmware installed on the box prior to installation? I waited for the device to ship at the end of September assuming it would receive the latest version. Is there any way to confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Toby
Old 10-19-2023, 12:10 PM
Sunpoint
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for posting this. I've been looking for something like this. I have an 09 997.2 with PCM3 without the USB/Audio/IPOD input kit and playing music through a radio tuner interface.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:27 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

The P2000 supports up to AHD720 type camera. Many work but we don't have an approved model.

The DIP 1 for PDK option was added in the recent MCU update. Make sure your unit has the update. Below is a link to the update page.

https://www.mr12volt.com/pages/p2000...ftware-updates

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Integrated Wireless CarPlay/ Android Auto