Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking steering rack! New or remanufactured replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:04 PM
the_shansen
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaking steering rack! New or remanufactured replacement?

While replacing the IMS, RMS. clutch and AOS on a new to me 2005 C2 with 76k miles, the Indy told me that the steering rack is leaking fluid and that the underbody tray was covered in the stuff. Glorious.

He could source a new part from Germany only at a cost of ~$2,600 plus labor putting the total over $3k. I’ve been checking out remanufactured racks, though, and I’m curious what folks’ experience has been with 997s and remanufactured racks. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-10-2021, 09:39 AM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

My well respected Indy got me a remanufactured for about 700. It included new inner tie rods and boots. Never even offered new.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:43 AM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Had same issue. I bought a reman TRW rack from FCP Euro. So far close to a year and it has been good. FCP provides lifetime warranty, hence I went with reman. Seems like TRW reman rack is hard to find. Keep looking.

You can also get the rack rebuild locally. I found few shops can rebuild racks and provide lifetime warranty.

Last edited by laphan; 07-10-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:15 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 262 Posts

Steering racks are not special. They are all about the same except for fitment details. If you laid out steering racks for all the German car manufacturers side by side you would not be able to tell them apart. They are made by ZF. The parts that wear out are the O-rings and seals and eventually the inner tie rod ends. A local rebuilder is the best way to go as it saves shipping and time. No fancy expertise involved as they do these all the time. Having access to the correct O-rings and seals is the tricky part, otherwise you could do it yourself. Have it rebuilt and as noted above, replace the tie rod end. You will be good to go. Local rebuilding cost should be in the range of $300 to 400.

Quick Reply: Leaking steering rack! New or remanufactured replacement?