Sponsored by:

my 997 value story

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 06:35 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Default my 997 value story

So what with the trend of 997 values increasing recently, I have had an opportunity to reflect on my car, and life/work in general as well. I bought my 06 C4S in September 2014, with about 62,000km on it at the time. My diary thread for the car is in my signature. It's now about 93,000km in mileage. Loved every minute of driving it. I paid about C$60k for it, perhaps slightly more than market at the time because it was from Weissach Performance in Vancouver, not a private sale. No worries, I was attracted to the car because of the colour (similar to my old Edwardian Grey Saab 900 Turbo SPG) and X51. I paid cash after selling my 2001 Honda S2000 in the spring of 2014, and then had cash on hand after settling a contingency file (I'm a lawyer, please don't hold it against me lol). Anyway, I've always felt that cars should be driven, and fully anticipated that I was buying an car that would depreciate in value, just like every other car I've owned. I follow Magnus Walker's ethos - 'get out and drive' - and no worries about rock chips or mileage.

Fast forward to spring 2019. I decided to leave my old firm, where I had practiced since I started as a student in 2003(!). Won't get into the details, but suffice to say that I felt distribution of monies my way was not sufficient per what had been promised and discussed. So a colleague and I decided to jump ship and do our own thing (best decision ever, by the way). However, for the sake of such a long relationship with the firm and the senior partner, after I told them I was leaving, I agreed to sit down and have a chat about seeing how we could figure things out, money wise. That didn't go anywhere. After that discussion, the senior partner's wife (also the office administrator) said to me "well, you basically bought an almost brand new car, you could have used the money another way" or words to that effect (referring to the contingency file that we had settled). Metaphorical eyebrow raised, as I bought the car when it was eight years old and less than half of MSRP. I told her I had no regrets buying it, and we all know how driving a 911 makes you feel. Senior partner drives a 986 Boxster S, as an aside.

So I have watched 997 values recently. The current market trend, and this story, has made me feel pretty good about myself actually. Not that I have any intention of selling it. Maybe in the future when we can no longer drive ICE cars, and they don't have manual transmissions anyway, maybe my 997 will be worth even more! Who knows, don't really care, just want to enjoy the drive!

Anyway, that's my story, hope you enjoyed reading it.

Last edited by Saaboteur; 07-30-2021 at 06:36 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Saaboteur:
911URGE (07-31-2021), IrishLegend (08-01-2021), Mitch911 (07-31-2021), Robocop305 (07-31-2021), Tj40 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 01:22 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I enjoyed your story! All the best with your new business.

My 997 club coupe is manual and has X51, so I know exactly what your driving pleasure is like. Happy motoring!
The following users liked this post:
Saaboteur (07-31-2021)

Quick Reply: my 997 value story