2006 997 4S starting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 997 4S starting trouble

Hi guys,

I recently had an issue starting my car in the morning. The battery is 3 years old but doesn’t seem to be the problem (see the video). To narrate, I am able to unlock the car with the remote and electrical system seems to work fine, the radio turns on, the light comes on etc. but when I put the key in the ignition and turn it struggles to start and then the electric system goes out. Completely dead I mean no light no radio. The frunk doesn’t open until I connect to another car’s battery. What’s more amusing is when I finagle with the positive end of the battery the electric system seems to come on and I can turn the radio on etc. is this just a loose battery cable? If so, why does the electric system seem to work fine until I put the key in the ignition and turn to start? Appreciate any help. Thanks

Last edited by Gurbinder; 09-08-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:47 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

Here are the videos
Old 09-08-2021, 02:08 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Sounds like you have a connection issue and when you put a good load on the system from attempting to start the car the connection craps out or your battery may be toast ....

How do you know your battery is good ?? 3yrs means nothing... and have you had it properly tested.

Also have a look at this for starters... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...esolved-2.html

I would start with the battery first ...
Old 09-08-2021, 02:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Gurbinder
...I recently had an issue starting my car in the morning. The battery is 3 years old but doesn’t seem to be the problem (see the video).
As mentioned earlier in the thread, since you can get the frunk open, why not pull the battery and have it tested.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,206 Likes on 3,959 Posts

Battery is no good or possibly your ground wire connection at the battery is no good. It's just a short wire that goes from the negative terminal to the chassis a few inches away. See if that fastener or connection is corroded or loose.

Battery could also be done where it has no capacity and only holds a surface charge on the plates so it looks filly charged to the cars charging system or Battery Tender but has no capacity and as soon as it has a load on it, it's discharged. Have you had any PSM failure messages lately - that's usually the first one that pops up when the battery is weak.
The following users liked this post:
YtseFrobozz (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 02:31 PM
YtseFrobozz
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Battery is no good or possibly your ground wire connection at the battery is no good. It's just a short wire that goes from the negative terminal to the chassis a few inches away. See if that fastener or connection is corroded or loose.

Battery could also be done where it has no capacity and only holds a surface charge on the plates so it looks filly charged to the cars charging system or Battery Tender but has no capacity and as soon as it has a load on it, it's discharged. Have you had any PSM failure messages lately - that's usually the first one that pops up when the battery is weak.
I had a similar problem in my 955 Cayenne, which I posted about. My issue was very obviously related to unreasonable amounts of water in the bottom of the vehicle, but over time, maybe it's just loose, or just loose enough that moisture got in there and now there's oxidation or whatever. I would definitely try unbolting the ground cable and giving all surfaces a good exfoliating scrub before cranking it back down again.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

I just got the battery tested and it’s 100% charged. Somehow when I go to start the ignition all the electrical is dying while the battery still remains charged.

[ QUOTE=Petza914;17657161]Battery is no good or possibly your ground wire connection at the battery is no good. It's just a short wire that goes from the negative terminal to the chassis a few inches away. See if that fastener or connection is corroded or loose.

Battery could also be done where it has no capacity and only holds a surface charge on the plates so it looks filly charged to the cars charging system or Battery Tender but has no capacity and as soon as it has a load on it, it's discharged. Have you had any PSM failure messages lately - that's usually the first one that pops up when the battery is weak.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2021, 01:58 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you polished your headlights lately? I use a microfiber with mothers metal polish to get the haze off the lens from time to time. I need to remove one battery cable before polisihing because the microfiber develops a static charge. Don't know how or why but in the past it locks up the car to where it it is dead. Also, look at the power plug just left of the battery tray. It is red. You'll need to release a plastic tab to get it off. See if any water is in there. Also add some dielectric grease to the plug and reinstall it. If that isn't it you may want to look at the cable that from the ground strap and connects to the battery along with the starter. That cable goes bad and miles have nothing to do with it.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:14 PM
Gurbinder
AutoX

I have determined that the problem is at battery to power distributor. When I shake the + cable near this connection the car starts right up. I want to disconnect the battery + cable from the power distributor bolt and remove and oxidation. Hoping this would be enough to fix the issue. I am not technically gifted so to remove the bolt and install a new one would mean a trip to my Indy

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Have you polished your headlights lately? I use a microfiber with mothers metal polish to get the haze off the lens from time to time. I need to remove one battery cable before polisihing because the microfiber develops a static charge. Don't know how or why but in the past it locks up the car to where it it is dead. Also, look at the power plug just left of the battery tray. It is red. You'll need to release a plastic tab to get it off. See if any water is in there. Also add some dielectric grease to the plug and reinstall it. If that isn't it you may want to look at the cable that from the ground strap and connects to the battery along with the starter. That cable goes bad and miles have nothing to do with it.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:40 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 216 Posts

I think this is a common issue? The battery/starting/alternator cable. Take a read here, may have some useful tidbits http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...ery-cable.html

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Quick Reply: 2006 997 4S starting trouble