Sponsored by:

Nissan GT-R

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 08:36 AM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Nissan GT-R

Who here has driven or owned an R35 GT-R? I'm contemplating trading my '06 Carrera 6-spd and picking one up, specifically a 2012 or newer. I know it's a quick car, but how is the steering, is it fun to drive outside acceleration? Will I miss the feel of my 911? Should I hold out for a 991S or 997 Turbo? I just wanted to get your impressions, it's not like I can find one to test drive to see for myself.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:03 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

No, Yes and Yes.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:52 AM
desertgoon
Track Day

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I've driven one on the track in Vegas. It's very fast in a straight line but it's a heavy car and feels like a boat in turns compared to the 911. It's an altogether different driving experience - like a hockey player versus a figure skater.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:53 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBucks
[...] I'm contemplating trading my '06 Carrera 6-spd and picking one up, specifically a 2012 or newer.[...]
It's off topic and I don't care, but if you like martial design and don't appreciate the unmatched classic lines of a 911 but only compare technical values, the other brand doesn't matter anymore.

Remember:
"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming about somedy owning a Nissan or a Mitsubishi?".

Old 12-23-2021, 10:58 AM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I helped sell a 3000 mile 2019 for a friend...fast car, BUT you really had to be "into the pedal" to appreciate what the car can do....as a comment above - felt "heavy" until you were really pushing it...NO WAY would I go there if I could get a 911, I think you will regret it.....pound for pound and dollar for dollar the Porsche experience is special
The following 2 users liked this post by soundbehindyou:
8x57IRS (12-23-2021), ATX_Native (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:56 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I helped sell a 3000 mile 2019 for a friend...fast car, BUT you really had to be "into the pedal" to appreciate what the car can do....as a comment above - felt "heavy" until you were really pushing it...NO WAY would I go there if I could get a 911, I think you will regret it.....pound for pound and dollar for dollar the Porsche experience is special
^ It seems to enjoy the car you would have to risk your drivers license on the street to enjoy.

As others have said, its huge.

Pass.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:48 PM
Durling21
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Do some research on the transmission service for those cars. Pretty expensive as well.
Old 12-23-2021, 01:37 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think pads and rotors for that car is crazy expensive too. Something to consider if making a change
Old 12-23-2021, 02:04 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
Remember:
"Honestly now, did you spend your youth dreaming about somedy owning a Nissan or a Mitsubishi?".
Depending on your age and what you were into, you could’ve easily been into Evos, Skylines, RX-7s, Supras, NSXs, etc. growing up rather than German or Italian cars!
The following 2 users liked this post by JamesBaxter:
Saaboteur (12-23-2021), TerrestrialFlyte (12-24-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:26 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
No, Yes and Yes.
Short and sweet and to the point, fair enough.

Originally Posted by desertgoon
I've driven one on the track in Vegas. It's very fast in a straight line but it's a heavy car and feels like a boat in turns compared to the 911. It's an altogether different driving experience - like a hockey player versus a figure skater.
I'm not really looking for a sledge hammer

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
It's off topic and I don't care, but if you like martial design and don't appreciate the unmatched classic lines of a 911 but only compare technical values, the other brand doesn't matter anymore.

Remember:

There were 2 cars that stayed on my walls throughout my youth. The Countach, and a Guards Red 930.

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
I got rid of a car that was only fun when you pushed it for the 911. The 911 is actually fun to drive, a nice corner in the right gear is bliss. I just would like it to be a little more on edge. Basically I want GT3 but unfortunately can't justify spending more than a $100k on a toy.

Originally Posted by Durling21
Do some research on the transmission service for those cars. Pretty expensive as well.
You have to pay to play. 911 repairs aren't exactly cheap

Originally Posted by ajayabb
I think pads and rotors for that car is crazy expensive too. Something to consider if making a change
See above

The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 02:39 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,260 Posts

When it was introduced, it was introduced as a 911 killer. To me, it's just another car company's failed attempt at a 911 killer. There have been many such cars, and none of them ever really succeeded. It does not have the looks either, nothing iconic about it. If I were going for Japanese exotic, I'd get an old NSX and still keep the 911 for performance.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:17 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

The two cars are so different they almost cannot be compared.
There might be some argument between a 911 turbo and a GTR. ...especially the 991 and 992.
As far as my C2S and R35s I have gotten the chance to drive a few but have ridden in quite a bit in my friend's GTR.
The GTR is faster than a C2S in every way, especially if you are a bad driver. They make bad drivers look better at the track. You are sure they will go off and somehow the car doesn't want to go off, so it rights itself against your ham fisted wishes to go into the bushes. Another analogy is I drag raced my friend's GTR with my EVO VIII. My EVO VIII had 465 hp/tq from a built 2.3. Every part of the car was really well upgraded. When we launched, I wasn't done spinning first gear by the time the GTR had jumped 4 car lengths ahead of me. He beat me so bad, I do not have anything else to say. By the time I connected up in 2nd, he was a block away. I am not the best drag racer but dude...it was bad. All he did was floor it using launch control. He was basically playing an XBox. My EVOs were always as close to the VIIs as possible (i.e. the least tech wizardry possible and the most mechanical grip possible)...it was a slaughter. He was also getting better times at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs as well.
Here is another analogy, I have NEVER drag raced my 911. Why? It seems silly. If you lose to a V6 Camaro, you LOSE. If you win against a V6 Camaro, you LOSE. I feel like it misses the point of the car. I would never take it to a track to drag race the car. That is just me though. It almost seems like putting coke in a fine scotch. You can do it but it misses the point of appreciating the scotch. ...but you know, if you have the money and you want to mix a $1200 bottle of scotch with a 2 liter of coke, cool. Go for it.
Last, I rode in a GTR up Angeles Crest to the tunnels and to Newcomb's a few times as passenger. When the car isn't pushing, it is a Maxima. Basic Nissan build quality. Infinity at best. When the car is pushing, it is too big and too brutal to really enjoy what a canyon road offers. The car doesn't flow well with a normal mortal behind the wheel in the canyons or a tight track like STREETS at WSIR. It really seems to stress the brakes in tight cornering situations. It definitely does not FLOW. The 911 flows up and down the canyons. (side discussion: I felt the same way about the 997.2 GT3 when I drove it on ACH. In my not-very-capable-amateur-driver-hands, I felt like I either wasn't really pushing the car at all, or it felt similar to the GTR, like it was fighting at the reins.
On the other hand, I have had a bunch of cars in the time I have lived by ACH. The 997 C2S is the best car I have had for it because when the car isn't pushing, it is a 911, which is nicer than any other car I have ever sat in mixing sports and luxury. I have sat in sportier cars, and I have sat in more luxurious cars but no car matches driving slow in a 911. It is a joy to drive slow AND it is more of a joy to drive fast.
I got my 997 C2S in Jan 2018. I still feel like I am in the honeymoon. It is a perfect car to daily, to drive to my mom's 450 or so miles away, and to drive the canyons in. I also look at it more than any other car I have ever owned because the design is just beautiful. Don't tell the 993 guys this but I parked next to one recently and the 997 is just a better car in every way. In any case, is looks so much better than a 993 or 964 to me. The GTR only looks beautiful in its function over form mech warrior design. Otherwise, I think in 20 years (when it might still be in production), it will look much more dated than the classic lines of any 911 to the 992.
The end.
The following 8 users liked this post by jamesinger:
8x57IRS (12-24-2021), 997DROP (12-28-2021), DerGrowler (12-24-2021), Hootsama (12-24-2021), JRBucks (12-23-2021), Saaboteur (12-23-2021), soundbehindyou (12-24-2021), Spike Speakus (12-24-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2021, 10:31 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Originally Posted by jamesinger
The two cars are so different they almost cannot be compared.
There might be some argument between a 911 turbo and a GTR. ...especially the 991 and 992.
As far as my C2S and R35s I have gotten the chance to drive a few but have ridden in quite a bit in my friend's GTR.
The GTR is faster than a C2S in every way, especially if you are a bad driver. They make bad drivers look better at the track. You are sure they will go off and somehow the car doesn't want to go off, so it rights itself against your ham fisted wishes to go into the bushes. Another analogy is I drag raced my friend's GTR with my EVO VIII. My EVO VIII had 465 hp/tq from a built 2.3. Every part of the car was really well upgraded. When we launched, I wasn't done spinning first gear by the time the GTR had jumped 4 car lengths ahead of me. He beat me so bad, I do not have anything else to say. By the time I connected up in 2nd, he was a block away. I am not the best drag racer but dude...it was bad. All he did was floor it using launch control. He was basically playing an XBox. My EVOs were always as close to the VIIs as possible (i.e. the least tech wizardry possible and the most mechanical grip possible)...it was a slaughter. He was also getting better times at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs as well.
Here is another analogy, I have NEVER drag raced my 911. Why? It seems silly. If you lose to a V6 Camaro, you LOSE. If you win against a V6 Camaro, you LOSE. I feel like it misses the point of the car. I would never take it to a track to drag race the car. That is just me though. It almost seems like putting coke in a fine scotch. You can do it but it misses the point of appreciating the scotch. ...but you know, if you have the money and you want to mix a $1200 bottle of scotch with a 2 liter of coke, cool. Go for it.
Last, I rode in a GTR up Angeles Crest to the tunnels and to Newcomb's a few times as passenger. When the car isn't pushing, it is a Maxima. Basic Nissan build quality. Infinity at best. When the car is pushing, it is too big and too brutal to really enjoy what a canyon road offers. The car doesn't flow well with a normal mortal behind the wheel in the canyons or a tight track like STREETS at WSIR. It really seems to stress the brakes in tight cornering situations. It definitely does not FLOW. The 911 flows up and down the canyons. (side discussion: I felt the same way about the 997.2 GT3 when I drove it on ACH. In my not-very-capable-amateur-driver-hands, I felt like I either wasn't really pushing the car at all, or it felt similar to the GTR, like it was fighting at the reins.
On the other hand, I have had a bunch of cars in the time I have lived by ACH. The 997 C2S is the best car I have had for it because when the car isn't pushing, it is a 911, which is nicer than any other car I have ever sat in mixing sports and luxury. I have sat in sportier cars, and I have sat in more luxurious cars but no car matches driving slow in a 911. It is a joy to drive slow AND it is more of a joy to drive fast.
I got my 997 C2S in Jan 2018. I still feel like I am in the honeymoon. It is a perfect car to daily, to drive to my mom's 450 or so miles away, and to drive the canyons in. I also look at it more than any other car I have ever owned because the design is just beautiful. Don't tell the 993 guys this but I parked next to one recently and the 997 is just a better car in every way. In any case, is looks so much better than a 993 or 964 to me. The GTR only looks beautiful in its function over form mech warrior design. Otherwise, I think in 20 years (when it might still be in production), it will look much more dated than the classic lines of any 911 to the 992.
The end.
Excellent post. I just took my car out for a few hours with the wife after not driving it for 3 weeks and fell in love again. It's almost perfect, or should I say it does everything very good. I owned or driven faster cars, better handling cars, more analog cars, better riding cars but never one as completely rounded as my 997. I guess I'm stuck with you guys for a little while longer.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRBucks:
997DROP (12-28-2021), jamesinger (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 10:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

I thought about a GT-R since they came out well before I could afford one. I dreamed of an R34 as a kid. I especially used to dream of the Nismo Z Tune. ...but look at it...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/12/..._nismo_z_tune/
It is just a brutal weapon. In that sense it has it's own beauty like an EVO or an STi or something like that. ...but it is not beautiful in and of itself.
Also, I have never seen any GTR interior on any R32-R35 that was "nice."
How much would a Z Tune be? I think maybe 911R expensive. Maybe closing in on CGT territory? I am not sure...but this is the interior:

lol.
I have been in R34s. The interior is a little nicer than my B13 SE-R I had as a teenager but as mentioned before, nice like an infinity at best.
I know I am missing the point of a GT-R but maybe I have outgrown the point of a GT-R.
In any case, it touches a nerve after spending a lot of time in a B13 SE-R, then modded Civics and EVOs. Once I could easily afford a GTR, I got a 997...lol. One of my friends is still mad at me for that too.

Last edited by jamesinger; 12-23-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:56 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

one more:
Nismo R34 Omori Factory Clubman.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/07/...g-car-r33-gtr/
I think this is the nicest GTR I have ever seen.
Just for argument's sake.

Last edited by jamesinger; 12-23-2021 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R