Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fab Speed Tune? - New Headers + CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:20 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Those SoCal spacers might work - might be worth a try. I took a chance with mine and got lucky.
On tuning, I had researched it - only a bit - and I think it was softronic that said they could essentially suppress the reporting of the code to the dash panel, but that the code would still be present in the car's computer, and would still show up on an OBD2 emissions check. If people are expecting a tune to 'eliminate' the codes, make sure to ask for details.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:32 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack667
Those SoCal spacers might work - might be worth a try. I took a chance with mine and got lucky.
On tuning, I had researched it - only a bit - and I think it was softronic that said they could essentially suppress the reporting of the code to the dash panel, but that the code would still be present in the car's computer, and would still show up on an OBD2 emissions check. If people are expecting a tune to 'eliminate' the codes, make sure to ask for details.
Good advice. I am going to go with the Softronic tune. Established supplier and proven company. I will let you know how it works out!
Old 03-27-2022, 07:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 383 Posts

I went the spacer route before getting a tune. The spacers did not help but no CELs since my GIAC tune. YMMV.

The following users liked this post:
RABjr (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 08:26 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RABjr
That is helpful! I am curious as to why the spacers make a difference.
I'm not sure about 'spacers' and I don't know much about all this - other than those things pictured worked for me. Those that I bought are called "mini-cats" and my understanding was that the O2 sensor grabs a tiny sample of exhaust, analyses it, and determines if there's a problem. There' a reading pre- and post-cat and the cat should remove the CO2 or to perform whatever emissions duty it's supposed to do. So these mini cats sit between the small sampler 'bung' and the O2 sensor. They only need to perform cat converter duty on the sample of exhaust gas - and they do - so that when the sample gets to the O2 sensor, it's 'clean'. It's possible that spacers also have some way to produce the same effect - to clean up the sample. ?? Not sure if that helps...
Old 03-27-2022, 09:20 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 131 Posts

The spacers move the O2 just far enough to bring it back in range so it won't throw a code.

Update - John from Fab Speed messaged me and reported that the Fab Speed Tune will NOT clear those codes.
No one will clear those codes or alter anything that involves emissions. In the last year the EPA has been hammering tuning shops. Look up Lund Racing. They came in guns drawn and raided the place in an overwhelming show of force. The worst part was Lund wasn't even in violation of any laws but because they are one of the big guys they got raided.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:28 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

From their website... https://socalraceparts.com/products/...gine-light-fix

WHY ARE THESE NEEDED?
Normally the secondary oxygen sensors are the ones that cause the check engine light to come on. These are positioned after the catalytic converters and read the exhaust gas after it is filtered and heat is reduced through the catalytic converters

When making modifications (for off-road vehicles) usually the catalytic converters are removed. In some vehicles, This is the primary reason the check engine light comes on. This happens due to the fact that the secondary oxygen sensors are placed in the direct path of the exhaust gas providing a higher heat reading. Running a vehicle while Leaving the light on will cause the computer to constantly try to make fuel adjustments in turn making the vehicle run rough and waste a huge amount of fuel.

These spacers remove the oxygen sensors from the direct path and replicate the conditions they would normally face when the catalytic converter was in place fixing the issue and getting a smooth ride.

Last edited by FlatSix911; 03-27-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:23 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Good advice. I am going to go with the Softronic tune. Established supplier and proven company. I will let you know how it works out!
997.2 here with 200 cell cats and the Softronic tune got rid of my CEL.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:39 PM
RABjr
Instructor

I'm not sure about 'spacers' and I don't know much about all this - other than those things pictured worked for me. Those that I bought are called "mini-cats" and my understanding was that the O2 sensor grabs a tiny sample of exhaust, analyses it, and determines if there's a problem. There' a reading pre- and post-cat and the cat should remove the CO2 or to perform whatever emissions duty it's supposed to do. So these mini cats sit between the small sampler 'bung' and the O2 sensor. They only need to perform cat converter duty on the sample of exhaust gas - and they do - so that when the sample gets to the O2 sensor, it's 'clean'. It's possible that spacers also have some way to produce the same effect - to clean up the sample. ?? Not sure if that helps...
That is very interesting - I wonder who the first person was that figured that out!
Jack667 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:40 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
From their website... https://socalraceparts.com/products/...gine-light-fix

WHY ARE THESE NEEDED?
Normally the secondary oxygen sensors are the ones that cause the check engine light to come on. These are positioned after the catalytic converters and read the exhaust gas after it is filtered and heat is reduced through the catalytic converters

When making modifications (for off-road vehicles) usually the catalytic converters are removed. In some vehicles, This is the primary reason the check engine light comes on. This happens due to the fact that the secondary oxygen sensors are placed in the direct path of the exhaust gas providing a higher heat reading. Running a vehicle while Leaving the light on will cause the computer to constantly try to make fuel adjustments in turn making the vehicle run rough and waste a huge amount of fuel.

These spacers remove the oxygen sensors from the direct path and replicate the conditions they would normally face when the catalytic converter was in place fixing the issue and getting a smooth ride.
thanks for info!
Old 03-28-2022, 04:41 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
997.2 here with 200 cell cats and the Softronic tune got rid of my CEL.
That is my setup and I bought the Softronic yesterday! I will keep you posted!
Old 03-28-2022, 04:44 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,220 Likes on 3,967 Posts

O2 spacers pull the sensor sniffer a bit out of the stream making it less sensitive.
RABjr (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:56 PM
RABjr
Instructor

I just bought the socal spacers.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Have fabspeed catted headers and had a cell. The spacers worked for me.

I have since gone with a tune and eliminated the secondary O2 and some other things. If I replace the fabspeed headers at some point, will be going catless.

Emissions are only relevant for a street car. Keep that in mind as your talking to your tuners. They don't know if you have a daily driver or a dedicated track car. Your options open up if you have a "track car". Obviously your mileage will vary depending on your local inspection process.

Last edited by platinum997; 03-28-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:53 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Originally Posted by platinum997
Have fabspeed catted headers and had a cell. The spacers worked for me.

I have since gone with a tune and eliminated the secondary O2 and some other things. If I replace the fabspeed headers at some point, will be going catless.

Emissions are only relevant for a street car. Keep that in mind as your talking to your tuners. They don't know if you have a daily driver or a dedicated track car. Your options open up if you have a "track car". Obviously your mileage will vary depending on your local inspection process.
Good comments. Let me ask you - are you getting your car tuned in Ohio?
Old 03-29-2022, 05:36 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

sent you a pm. Yes, I am in Columbus.

Quick Reply: Fab Speed Tune? - New Headers + CEL