Sponsored by:

PCCM+ DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:43 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default PCCM+ DIY Guide

This thread is to serve as knowledge base for PCCM+ on 9x7.
PM me if you want anything added, lets not chat in this thread to keep it tidy
discussion thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18632370

DO NOT DM ME WITH QUESTIONS, USE THE FORUM DISCUSSION THREAD !!

Please note, I did not figure this out all by myself I will try to give props to those who help, but This is a dynamic page new things get added almost daily now and it is near impossible for me to thank everybody in detail.
Consider this article a collective effort by all.

And also note, I take no responsibility for any kind of mishap to your PCCM or Porsche if by chance anything goes wrong with custom hack wiring for functionality that Porsche did not intend nor document.
All information is provided, as is. No guarantees, use it at your own risk.

Step by Step Installation Guide below
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18600892

Reverse camera hack
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18628451

Trouble shooting and FAQ:

Q No FM
A either buggered up your antennas (but unlikely to have 2 broken ones)
orrrrrr, forgot to install the coupler in STEP 4

Q the CAR setion shows no trip data, or outside temperature
and the PCCM does not start with the ignition of the car
A Forgot to plug in the yellow green adapter cable

Q PCCM is hard to remove again
Several people reported issues with bent clamps on the PCCM frame

Originally Posted by maiko
When installing the brackets, make sure the top locking tabs are on the INSIDE of the stops on the unit. If they are on the OUTSIDE, the locking tabs cannot be pushed in for removal. The unit will still go into the dash, but it cannot come out without bending the stop (firm push with screwdriver). Learned this this hard way.

The alternative, what I did.. is to simply remove the top clamp/spring crap completely.
the console sides put pressure on the PCCM when installed and it really doesn't wiggle or move in my car

Q Daylight Running Lights function settings do not work
Nor does the door lock setting..
Good question, I have no idea, perhaps its a 997 only thingie.. or my car(987c) has an odd version of the control boxes
or its a bug in the PCCM+, no idea.
still looking for info on that, awaiting supplier for feedback
If anybody has this working on 987 (I already got confirmation it does seem to work on 997) do let me know

Q PCCM+ does not start or power off with the car key
That happens with the canbus connection.. you need both yellow and green connector to be installed
Quite often they are not seated properly and that causes the powerup/poweroff to not work properly

Q Can't get PCCM+ out again !!
A PCCM+ does not use the allen key locks but has 4 lock tabs
the top ones are hard to see , but obviously it won't come out unless you push all 4 of them
(I've been informed that there are screws you can screw in to push the detents instead, need to confirm that myself)

Q PCCM does not show the MP3 files in the right order, or plays albums mixed from various directories
A Make sure all your MP3 files have correct MP3 tags and album names filled in.
On Initial read , PCCM reads all the tags, and those tags are used to figure out which tunes need to be played.
It also displays the file names, and sorts em on the file name
So for ease of use:
1 Put all files from same album in same directory
2 Make sure each file in that directory, has the same album name filled in via the tag
I used this tool : https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html
3 Use decent filenames that make sense, since PCCM displays the filenames, not the mp3 tag (unfortunately)

good example
Johnnycash \001 Johnny Cash - Ring of fire.mp3
Johnnycash \002 Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues.mp3
80ies mix\001 Phil Collins - Into the Air.mp3
80ies mix\002 Queen - One vision.mp3
i used triple digits format because that allows me to put multiple albums from 1 artist, or a mix directory combined
1xx Off the Wall ...
2xx Thriller..
3xx Bad ...

Note, PCCM does not like changing tags after it has read the files already, it will not update properly
Solution : Change the volume name of the USB stick and then it will read it as a new USB stick and see all the updates.

Q PCCM shows no album art despite picture in the directory
A The album art is read from the MP3 file, its in the tags, use MP3tag to update the album art
It sets the tags and lets you put in the album art , in the file

Q I want a rear accessible USB port to keep my PCCM front clean
A (courtesy of dph928) Yes You can ! But only for USB charging or MP3, it does not work with Apple or Android phone apps.
Option 1 (expensive) Get the USB box for the 996 PCCM+ , note, only the "PHONE" port will work, and only for charging or MP3
Option 2 Get the Subaru USB cable (Brown plug) see Connection Diagram in post below
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18602773

Q I want to use a Backup Camera
A guide : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18628451

Q Some US states do not show up on the Built in Sat Nav
A No solution as of yet, suspected firmware problem, the issue has been sent to Porsche Classic, awaiting feedback

Q My USB stick is Not recognized
A I've experienced this myself, a working usb stick, after some experment with new cable , somehow got zapped.
it works in my pc
now it works everywhere except on the PCCM.
Formatting did not help
Only Solution so far is to get another , different, USB drive

Q When calling, the microphone level is low
A Courtesy of Steve W
For everyone complaining about the low microphone sensitivity of both the internal and external mics, the following is the fix to increase the sensitivity and output volume of both mics. Depending on where you set the values the mic output should increase by 100% to 300%, enough for the other party to hear you better. To do this you need to go into the Developer Menu and increase the mic settings under the menu item MicVolume. To enter the Developer Menu, go to CAR > SET > SYSTEM. Find 'Version Info' and press and hold down for 15-20 seconds, which will bring up the below menu:

Change values to this :

Last edited by svandamme; 05-18-2023 at 04:29 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by svandamme:
daddyscar (02-02-2023), dlascoskie (02-09-2023), MaxPoodling (02-09-2023), myw (01-31-2023), Robb M. (02-13-2023), Spastblast (01-31-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

The Installation Steps

Step 1 , get yourself a PCCM+ for 9x7,
99764259000 for Europe (DAB+)
99764259100 for USA (Sirius)

Step 2 , remove the old PCM 2.1

2.1 remove side covers
2.2 unscrew the screw on the right side of the console
2.3 twist 4 allens to reverse clockwise to the stop
2.4 pull PCM 2.1 forward while pushing the 2 lock tabs
Watch this video for details
2.5 unplug the cables from the old unit and put it away

Step 3 Assemble your PCCM+
3.1 put metal frame on

3.2 put the tray on the frame

3.3 put the MOST adapter box on the track with included double sided tape

3.4 Connect the Most adapter box to the PCCM+
Use this cable :

3.5 Attach the GPS Antenna : Just plop it down on the tray next to the MOST fiber adapter..
Tested this works just fine, the GPS finds initial signal even, 200 meters at most while driving, no sweat, no need to snake that wire through the dash or trim.. don't bother and don't risk snapping the connector while snaking..
Once initial fix is found it starts up instantly all the time
If it doesn't work in your region, or you want a faster signal aquisition : Either the A pillar or the area where the Interior air filter lives have been used.

3.6 Same for the Microphone cable.. snake it to the steering column and plug it into the PCCM+
You might just skip that microphone cable altogether, I find the internal mike built into the facia is pretty good on its own.
Some have replaced the old PCM2.1 microphone and glued the new external one inside the steering column..

3.7 At this point you can plug in the remaining cables and slide the PCCM+ back in its slot, don't go all the way so you can test it first.

Cables cannot really be inserted wrong but here's the back of my pccm for reference (PCM2.1 with ASK amplifier via MOST, Bose should look similar, CDR2.4 probably will not have the fiber optic)

At this point the PCCM should work, for Car interface MP3, BT, an Sat NAV (if you have a map SD card)

Step 4 Disconnect the FM convertor box, or whatever it does
typically not present on CDR24 cars, but must done on all cars that have the FM box
When in doubt, check in the foot well, if you have the box or not.

IF the box is there, the couple MUST be used to by pass it.

2 cables
couple them with the supplied adapter.

The box itself is located in the right side foot well, way behind the ABS yaw sensor under carpeting.
You cannot see it, you'll have to reach behind the carpetting on top of the tunnel

Bonus tip, disabling the ground wire on that yaw sensor is 100% fully disabled PSM

Last edited by svandamme; 08-08-2023 at 07:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
defunct_neurons (06-19-2023), Spastblast (01-31-2023), Woodsprite (02-11-2024)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:51 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Step 5 Remove the DVD Nav unit from the frunk
5.1 remove plastic frunk covering
5.2 gently pull DVD unit forward and remove the 3 cables
- Orange fiber cable
- power
- GPS antenna (blue)
Its figetty due to lack of space, Be very careful not to damage the fiber!!

5.3 Install the supplied MOST loop on the fiber optic cable (you can move it behind the sheet metal out of sight):

Step 6 Remove the A pillar coverings and install the FM signal amplifiers for EU only!!
Note, those Antenna attachments and cables are extremely fragile, be very careful when removing the trim

6.1 Remove A pillar trim, start at the back
Do NOT manhandle the trim near the window or you end up at best with just 1 working FM receiver , at worst with none.
Ask me how I know.
No tips from me, cause I screwed up.. you are warned. Thats all I can do

6.2 You need to remove the old box from each A pillar
Again the connectors are flimsy, pulling them off the old box is risky in itself

6.3 install the 2 new boxes with 1 screw, 1 antanna to windows and 1 to wire that leads to the PCCM
optional, new GPS antenna in this area.

6.4 reinstall trim.. Again no tips from me, cause I hate trim and i break trim

At this point your PCCM should work, and have FM reception

Alternative Step 6 for USA (courtesy offritzcurtis)
The US version of the PCCM is SiriusXM ready, and comes with the cable that connects from PCCM to the Sirius Tuner(not included)
Sirius XM SXV300V1 is the tuner+antenna, can be found on amazon for about 60 USD
The tray on the PCCM is a great place to locate the tuner, best location for the Sirius antenna is under the cowl, and must point upwards
Remember, there is NO buffering with this tuner so you need a strong signal location. (A pillar location is not strong enough)

6.1 For US only , Sirius XM
install the Sirius adapter cable (included) under the yellow/green canbus
Connect that one to the Sirius tuner (not included in the PCCM+ box)

Last edited by svandamme; 02-13-2023 at 10:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
defunct_neurons (06-19-2023), Spastblast (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:52 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Connections Diagram V2

Last edited by svandamme; 01-31-2023 at 04:28 AM.
myw (03-04-2023), Spastblast (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 04:27 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

A USB access in the rear can be had, without the Porsche PCCM996 box (expensive)
The PCCM 996 media box has 2 plugs, a Brown 4 pin and a white 10 pin
so does PCCM997 and it works, however, only the USB port marked "PHONE" will work, and only for charging or MP3.. No Android Auto or Apple Carplay!!

The same result can be achieved by splicing a USB cable with 4 pins, and then adding the 10 pin connector, its needed only for the +5V line.

1 find a USB accessory cable, looks like this cable for a Subaru radio (if you know what the official connector name is, please let me know)
This is the cable in question:
https://www.electroschematics.com/wp...size=500%2C328
(much cheaper than the PCCM996 USB box)

But the brown USB port on the rear of PCCM+ 997 lacks the +5 Volt power signal
And the Ground on the Subaru is on the wrong pin

2 The pin next to the Ground is not needed, switch the ground to that pin
3 Get a 10 pin connector , and take pin 4 from the white socket
splice that to the original ground on the Subaru connector

Original Subaru
1 4
2 3
1 Ground
2 Data+
3 Data -
4 unused
Change to
1 +5 spliced in from White connector pin 4
2 Data+
3 Data -
4 former #1 ground

Alternative to the Subaru, Aliexpress
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40010...yAdapt=glo2nld
No idea about the pinouts for this cable, it has not arrived yet. But should be similar wiring

The End result should be USB A :

B Swap or move the USB port in the front to the back, and the Limited USB only port can be moved to the front
Courtesy of Steve W, discussion here :
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18703863

Obviously this is might void warranty as it requires opening op PCCM

In the pictures below, the original black header cable is replaced with two new cables which pass through the existing hole at the rear of the unit. A female USB cable plugs into the header port of the main board, the one that CarPlay works through. The second USB port that comes out of the rear that we already know about that comes from Plug Connection C (aka Subaru/Nissan port), a cable plugs into that and brought to front panel USB plug. Both cables are zip tied to existing holes in the side of the case ruggedize/stabilize the cables and their connections.

Last edited by svandamme; 03-24-2023 at 06:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Aubergine 73 (01-12-2024)
Old 02-09-2023, 06:18 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 62 Posts

@svandamme Thank you for this write up! I just finished installing the unit in my GT3. Couldn't be happier with it and am glad I didn't have to pay the dealer to install it!
svandamme (02-09-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 07:08 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Rear view Camera instructions

With thanks to MYW and MAXW for tips and suggestions

This is to retro fit a reverse camera, you can find them on Amazon or Aliexpress in various forms.
I would recommend something like this, for ease and clean install

You then only need a small hole for the wire, to mount the camera on the ledge above your license plate.
and drill the hole in the horizontal upside down bit of your bumper, so it never becomes an eye sore if you ever decide to remove the camera.

RCA signal goes to the fakra connector
But you need a reversing signal to the PCCM so PCCM knows when you are in reverse and need the camera.

That one has to be installed on PIN 6 of the white 6 pin connector :

Green wire on the corner near the blue GPS antenna is the reverse trigger

Apply 12volt and presto PCCM turns on the reverse camera view.

Complete diagram:

Option 1 Splice Reversing light in the rear (typically black cable blue stripe)
use that to power the Camera with 12v and send trigger back over the RCA cable to pin 6

Option 2 Pin 8 can be used to power the camera
When 6 receives 12 volt, it will switch on 8 for the camera power

This requires splice the cable loom near the fuse panel in the front , drivers side footwell
and send power back from PCCM to the camera over the RCA cable

Originally Posted by myw
the RCA camera cable (specifically for parking cameras) already has a red trigger/power cable attached to it which can be used either to send reverse trigger OR power the camera - so you may not need to snake another cable.
the reverse could be sourced via The kick panel, beside the fuse box. The entire trunk of the cars wiring is all there.
There are 3 main branches of cables zipTied together - I remember the reverse cable being in the thickest branch that is most accessible.

To test
You have to perform the PCCM auto configure with camera powered and pin 6 triggered
During the autodetect, it will acknlowledge 'Rear view Camera detected" and after finishing the auto detect, from then on , each time 6 is triggered you get audible click as it switches over to the RCA feed
If no feed it displays an orange camera symbol, with trigger audio volume is also reduced when it switches over to the camera.

Wire snaking to the rear
Both 987 and 997:
go from back of pccm, snake via the center console to behind the front seats
In practice you might get this done without dismantling anything. the Center console verticable plastic bits overlap the carpet on the tunnel
But it is not bolton on in that area.. So you can pretty much stuff the cable up there as you go along.

997 and 987 differ for obvious reasons.
987 I suspect is the easier one of the because you can just go over the engine bay, inside the cabin.
Remove the 2 engine carpet covers, and you can snake it behind that, below the front engine lid, then over the top engine lid.
With a wire puller you can easily go around the shock tower and presto you are at the rear light.

I cannot comment for 997 not done it myself, but MYW has this thread to explain it :
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post17572285

Camera rear bumper install
997 report is you can install a camera without taking the bumper off
987 no such luck there is no access to rear of the bumper due to heatshields, it will have to be taken off to install the camera and wiring from the rear.
1 take off rear lights
2 remove rear spoiler
3 take off bumper

Last edited by svandamme; 02-17-2023 at 03:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by svandamme:
415CPA (02-13-2023), brudomen (02-13-2023), myw (02-15-2023), signde (02-14-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 04:05 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Please do not use this thread for discussions, Go here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18632370

This thread is just the knowledge base, I want to keep it tidy.

Last edited by svandamme; 02-23-2023 at 01:11 PM.
myw (02-15-2023), Summerjack (03-01-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 12:07 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FM and AM not working

So I have a 987.1 Cayman S 2007 with Bose and CDR-24 with external 6 disk CD changer. I am in the US.

I have installed following the instructions above all seems to work great but the FM and AM radio. All I get is static when going to known stations. If i reinstall the CDR-24 and go to the same radio station i get clear reception.

Please Note since I have the CDR-24 I don't think I need to bypass the FM converter box as described. After getting no reception I tried looking under the carpet and could not find the box either. Also it seems the antenna cable has two connectors coming off of it by my antenna only has one black connector but nothing to connect to the tan one.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does the 6 disk cd changer need to be removed and bypassed with the included fiber optic bypass? Am I missing something on my install or is there an issue with my unit?

Any help would be appreciappreciated thank you.

Last edited by Giantviper; 03-26-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:33 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Update....on another thread someone posted the antenna cable from the factory is backwards. I swapped the ends and now it works!

If anyone else runs into this swap the antenna connector ends and then you will be good.
jmanbball (11-05-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 04:12 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

If you can, put 997.1 in the title. Alot of 997 newb's wont know the difference. Wish I could get one for my 7.2, waiting patiently
Old 05-04-2023, 01:44 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the daytime running light functionality by PCM/PCCM+ requires the car to have the sport chrono option. That's just what Porsche requires via snooping with PIWIS. At least that is what I figured out when retrofitting a PCM into a 987. Seems like the PCCM+ automatically shows that option by default regardless of Chrono installed or not. Let me know.

EDIT: You can code your headlights to Canada and they will come on always. That is to satisfy the Canadian requirement of DRL but not forcing every Canadian car to come with PCM+Sport Chrono hardware (which is how you enable the option w PIWIS)

Last edited by b8_rdc; 05-04-2023 at 02:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by b8_rdc:
bxstrCA (05-04-2023), svandamme (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 02:27 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b8_rdc
I believe the daytime running light functionality by PCM/PCCM+ requires the car to have the sport chrono option. That's just what Porsche requires via snooping with PIWIS. At least that is what I figured out when retrofitting a PCM into a 987. Seems like the PCCM+ automatically shows that option by default regardless of Chrono installed or not. Let me know.

EDIT: You can code your headlights to Canada and they will come on always. That is to satisfy the Canadian requirement of DRL but not forcing every Canadian car to come with PCM+Sport Chrono hardware (which is how you enable the option w PIWIS)

that kinda makes sense, but FFS Porsche for not making the PCCM+ do whatever it is that PIWIS does to the modules.
Technically it should be possible. IF they did it properly

So from your info, am I correct to understand that applies to 987 only whereas on 997 DRL via PCCM does work as intended??
bxstrCA (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 03:23 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
that kinda makes sense, but FFS Porsche for not making the PCCM+ do whatever it is that PIWIS does to the modules.

So from your info, am I correct to understand that applies to 987 only whereas on 997 DRL via PCCM does work as intended??
My understanding is even on the 997 it just runs your normal lights all time. Not sure that’s ideal anyway.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:42 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme

If your vehicle does not have the Sports Chrono, is it possible to code it in with the PIWIS or would it just throw an error looking for the hardware?
Otherwise, it might be a worth trying.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ DIY Guide