Advice on potential purchase - 2006 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 11:55 AM
reichertje
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on potential purchase - 2006 997 S

Hi all!

First time poster. I’ve spent hours on here doing research for my first Porsche purchase. What I’ve noticed is everyone’s experience and opinions are unique, and the best way to get advice is to post exactly what I’m looking at. So, here it is: 2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, manual transmission with 62k miles- asking $43k. I don’t have a set budget, but would like to stay close to this number.

I have the Carfax which is clean and only 2 owners. It’s only ever been a California car. I’ll post the link to dealer page Here. The dealer page notes some of the upgrades and options.

the Carfax report is here

I also have exchanged some emails with the sales guy and he mentioned the following:

I took this vehicle in on trade so I know the previous owner took care of the car. I included the link to the carfax at the bottom as well. I will say, there were plenty of over revs over the years but it hasn't been done in a very long time. We actually spent $8,000 to get this vehicle CPO ready, which essentially would have passed to become a certified preowned. Unfortunately, because of the year, we can't certify the vehicle. Major service, seat belts were 17 years old so they had to be replaced, spark plugs, brake flush, 2 tires, and a new windshield since there were some chips on it.
the Carfax shows a consistent history of service and some (notable) repairs, specifically at around 55k miles (~7k ago).
  • Clutch replaced
  • Coolant reservoir replaced
  • Cooling system bled
  • Clutch slave cylinder replaced
  • Water pump replaced
  • Water pump gasket replaced

and at an early stage in its life (15k miles) the following was done:
  • A/C compressor replaced
  • Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced
  • Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
  • Cooling system bled
  • Alternator replaced
  • PCV valve replaced

So, with that, I am curious to get everyone’s opinion and advice on this vehicle?

I have requested a DME report
Report is attached. I plan to have a third party PPI done if I decide to proceed.

Thanks in advance! Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20230317141055632.pdf (141.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by reichertje; 03-23-2023 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Provided DME report
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:38 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

All sounds like routine stuff to me. Agree with PPI and DME.

Says it has a sports exhaust but there is no button to turn it off and on.

I personally prefer full leather but to each their own.

Sounds like a good price too!
Old 03-23-2023, 02:04 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by reichertje
Hi all!

First time poster. I’ve spent hours on here doing research for my first Porsche purchase. What I’ve noticed is everyone’s experience and opinions are unique, and the best way to get advice is to post exactly what I’m looking at. So, here it is: 2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet, manual transmission with 62k miles- asking $43k. I don’t have a set budget, but would like to stay close to this number.

I have the Carfax which is clean and only 2 owners. It’s only ever been a California car. I’ll post the link to dealer page Here. The dealer page notes some of the upgrades and options.

the Carfax report is here

I also have exchanged some emails with the sales guy and he mentioned the following:

the Carfax shows a consistent history of service and some (notable) repairs, specifically at around 55k miles (~7k ago).
  • Clutch replaced
  • Coolant reservoir replaced
  • Cooling system bled
  • Clutch slave cylinder replaced
  • Water pump replaced
  • Water pump gasket replaced

and at an early stage in its life (15k miles) the following was done:
  • A/C compressor replaced
  • Intake manifold gasket(s) replaced
  • Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
  • Cooling system bled
  • Alternator replaced
  • PCV valve replaced

So, with that, I am curious to get everyone’s opinion and advice on this vehicle?

I have requested a DME report and will ask to have a third party PPI done if I decide to proceed.

Thanks in advance! Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.
Looks great, nice price as well. Get a PPI and enjoy.
reichertje (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,457 Likes on 2,718 Posts

I would certainly get a Bore Scope Inspection as part of the PPI especially since it is the "S" engine which tends to be more prone to scoring.
I've owned a 997 Cabriolet couple of years ago. Nice car if u have the year round weather for it.
Having the optional wind deflector is a plus for highway driving

The following 4 users liked this post by groovzilla:
8KaboveMSL (03-24-2023), JAAM (03-24-2023), reichertje (03-23-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:51 PM
reichertje
Track Day

Thanks Kellen. I see you're in Seattle - that's my hometown (Well, Tacoma). I've uploaded the DME report (image of the rev ranges and full report if it's of interest). If you have any experience interpreting the report, that would be great.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:02 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 98 Posts

DME looks fine, the short range 4 overrev was over 200hrs ago. Others can chime in.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:30 PM
reichertje
Track Day

Default Full DME report

Not sure if the full report from the dealer was attached in original update, but here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20230317141055632.pdf (141.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:24 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

PPI, borescope and buy it!
Old 03-24-2023, 08:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,193 Likes on 3,949 Posts

All looks fine, including the price. Tell them if they'll throw in a coil packs and spark plug replacement (it's at that mileage) that you'll take it (after clean PPI and scope).
Old 03-24-2023, 10:47 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 179 Posts

After everything I’ve read here about 997 windshield replacements, I’d want to know that it was replaced with an OEM windshield rather than an aftermarket one and that the work was done properly. Apparently something that is easy to screw up. A good PPI will probably flag this.

Do the PPI and make sure they do a bore scope as part of the PPI process. Use anything that comes up to negotiate!
Old 03-24-2023, 05:03 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

The PSE would not come with an exhaust button for the 2006 from my understanding. It is actuated in sport mode and just by ECU mapping. You can easily defeat it to be valves open at all times if you want.

Depending on where in LA you are, we can recommend shops to get a PPI. NORTH = Scientific for me (I am in Pasadena), NW = TLG for me and my family who owns Porsches (They are in NW LA).

I have the 2006 C2S. I got mine 1/2018. I did the PPI and then had the shop that did the PPI do the recommended work + service after negotiating a deal with the seller based off the PPI. I have been using the car as a daily since and it is the best all around car I have ever had. Good Luck!!

Oh, BTW, my car said something wild like 5 owners on CarFax. I looked closer and 3 of the owners were dealers (including the original dealer listed x2 for the first sale + the CPO sale). None of the dealers put miles on the car. It was just some CarFax BS/mistake. My only point is, cross reference what you see on CarFax.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesinger
The PSE would not come with an exhaust button for the 2006 from my understanding. It is actuated in sport mode and just by ECU mapping. You can easily defeat it to be valves open at all times if you want.
Depends...if the car has sport Chrono, then you're correct, there's only a sport button and not a PSE button. If the car doesn't have SC, then you get the PSE button for independent control of the valves just like you have for the PASM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
jamesinger (03-24-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:44 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Depends...if the car has sport Chrono, then you're correct, there's only a sport button and not a PSE button. If the car doesn't have SC, then you get the PSE button for independent control of the valves just like you have for the PASM.
First part sounds right. My 06 has SC and PSE with no button specifically for PSE. I have no experience in the other case, but that would make sense.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
First part sounds right. My 06 has SC and PSE with no button specifically for PSE. I have no experience in the other case, but that would make sense.
I have the other combo. PSE without SC and have the button.
TerrestrialFlyte (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 09:40 PM
reichertje
Track Day

Thanks for the information everyone. I am planning to test drive tomorrow morning and have PPI done. Still waiting to see if they will allow bore scope to performed or not. The car has been getting a lot of attention. I missed out on it, or thought so, as the sales person texted me to let me know that it was sold the night before and they were waiting for the customers trade in approval. Apparently, he backed out because he wasn't getting what he wanted for his trade - so I am next up, unless of course someone walks in and buys it off the lot.

Any thoughts on what to do if the dealer decides to not allow the bore scope? Should purchase on contingency of a clear PPI and scope be something they will consider?

Quick Reply: Advice on potential purchase - 2006 997 S