PDK advanced advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 06:56 PM
Testastretta
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK advanced advice needed

Hello,
one car reach me not able to crank because somebody tried PDK adaptation by Launch diagnostic which failed and the PDK unit shows "not programmed" failure. So we order new PDK unit and the car started and was able to move but won't shift from 2nd gear. So I run adaptation wia piwis3 clone and it happened the same. Car won't cranc and PDK seems to be again completely erased

​​​​​​I Attached some pictures, any idea?

Last edited by Testastretta; 03-23-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:56 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 182 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to do software changes from a non capable source and it's either not completing the task or corrupting it. Can a dealer help?
Old 03-24-2023, 04:18 AM
Testastretta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Sounds like you are trying to do software changes from a non capable source and it's either not completing the task or corrupting it. Can a dealer help?
Hello, it corrupted by PDK calibration. Two PDK units corrupted by two different diagnostic (launch, piwis3)

Owner said dealer tried to fix it too with the same problem and finally they have to put the PDK unit to second car to be able to program it and calibrate it. But I am not able to verify if it's true... Because o found post here where similar problem was solved by dealer

Link to similar topic

Last edited by Testastretta; 03-24-2023 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Testastretta
Hello, it corrupted by PDK calibration. Two PDK units corrupted by two different diagnostic (launch, piwis3)

Owner said dealer tried to fix it too with the same problem and finally they have to put the PDK unit to second car to be able to program it and calibrate it. But I am not able to verify if it's true... Because o found post here where similar problem was solved by dealer

Link to similar topic

I know this won't be any help to you and I'm sorry about that but it may be to others. The PDK is an amazing transmission but it's also temperamental and when something goes wrong it's typically not something you can fix in the garage or most often than not even have fixed at the dealership. I say this after two PDK failures, both of which required full replacements. The dealers are very limited as to what they can do with failed PDK's so in both my failure cases the entire units were shipped to Germany and I got rebuilt units with a 2 year warranty.

Both covered by my Fidelity extended warranty with a $500 deductible. Some are making progress with PDK repairs outside of the dealerships but the biggest hurdle seems to be sourcing parts. Porsche last I heard won't sell internal PDK parts since nobody including Porsche dealerships are supposed to open up the PDK's so therefore they're basically saying....".what do you need parts for. We open up and repair PDK's, not you". Some exceptions to this to which I don't have the details.

The distance sensor was the cause of both my failures and based on other stories here account for most of the failures. I think there was a thread here about distance sensors being produced by someone but I'm not sure about the quality or the functionality of them.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:21 AM
Testastretta
Intermediate

Hello you speak probably about the PDK itself but o have problem with PDK unit. More probably SW problem rather then PDK hw problem.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:18 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Hello you speak probably about the PDK itself but o have problem with PDK unit. More probably SW problem rather then PDK hw problem.
What he said....

Some years ago I had to have my PDK transmission replaced (long story) and the dealer also insisted on changing the TCS which is the the computer located under the right rear seat.

Prior to the PDK swap I purchased a new TCS from Sunset Porsche hoping to solve the problem as economically as possible. However, I finally had to bite the bullet and get a "new" transmission and and new TCS. I told the dealer that I had a new TCS purchased from a Porsche authorized dealer but they insisted that they would not use it because they would not guarantee the transmission if they also didn't include the new TCS purchased and installed by them.

Hence and for anyone interested, I have two TCS's available for purchase. A new one that was never installed and the original that came with the car which I have no doubt is OK since the problem was with the PDK itself. Please PM me if interested.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:00 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 124 Posts

I wonder how many of these programming routines have to be authenticated by Porsche AG before they will run. For instance, maybe the calibration routine will erase the TCU in preparation for programming but the auth fails and so it stays erased. That would be an evil way to code the routine, but if you are a dealer it won't happen to you. It would be beneficial if we could get the default programming and at least load that so we could limp to a dealer.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:52 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
What he said....

Some years ago I had to have my PDK transmission replaced (long story) and the dealer also insisted on changing the TCS which is the the computer located under the right rear seat.

Prior to the PDK swap I purchased a new TCS from Sunset Porsche hoping to solve the problem as economically as possible. However, I finally had to bite the bullet and get a "new" transmission and and new TCS. I told the dealer that I had a new TCS purchased from a Porsche authorized dealer but they insisted that they would not use it because they would not guarantee the transmission if they also didn't include the new TCS purchased and installed by them.

Hence and for anyone interested, I have two TCS's available for purchase. A new one that was never installed and the original that came with the car which I have no doubt is OK since the problem was with the PDK itself. Please PM me if interested.

What a crap attitude from that dealer. If it's a new part, sold to you from Porsche and there is a problem with it, they should be able to warranty it. Or at least be able to swap it out and ding you for the labor.

Gotta love their our way or the highway attitude.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:09 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
What a crap attitude from that dealer. If it's a new part, sold to you from Porsche and there is a problem with it, they should be able to warranty it. Or at least be able to swap it out and ding you for the labor.

Gotta love their our way or the highway attitude.
Unfortunately there's only one Porsche dealer on the island and any/all complaints to Porsche NA basically go unheard. Such is life!
Old 03-25-2023, 10:14 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 531 Posts

Ahh, yeah like having to buy the $27 bad sandwich from the airport kiosk. Bummer.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:38 AM
rnlst_log
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Hello,
one car reach me not able to crank because somebody tried PDK adaptation by Launch diagnostic which failed and the PDK unit shows "not programmed" failure. So we order new PDK unit and the car started and was able to move but won't shift from 2nd gear. So I run adaptation wia piwis3 clone and it happened the same. Car won't cranc and PDK seems to be again completely erased

​​​​​​I Attached some pictures, any idea?

You Failed PDK calibration, flash software erased and blanked.
PM if you haven't solve this and need help.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:23 PM
cipsaz
Cruisin'

Deleted

Last edited by cipsaz; 02-21-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:07 PM
JERZ911
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK DISPLACEMENT SENSOR

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I know this won't be any help to you and I'm sorry about that but it may be to others. The PDK is an amazing transmission but it's also temperamental and when something goes wrong it's typically not something you can fix in the garage or most often than not even have fixed at the dealership. I say this after two PDK failures, both of which required full replacements. The dealers are very limited as to what they can do with failed PDK's so in both my failure cases the entire units were shipped to Germany and I got rebuilt units with a 2 year warranty.

Both covered by my Fidelity extended warranty with a $500 deductible. Some are making progress with PDK repairs outside of the dealerships but the biggest hurdle seems to be sourcing parts. Porsche last I heard won't sell internal PDK parts since nobody including Porsche dealerships are supposed to open up the PDK's so therefore they're basically saying....".what do you need parts for. We open up and repair PDK's, not you". Some exceptions to this to which I don't have the details.

The distance sensor was the cause of both my failures and based on other stories here account for most of the failures. I think there was a thread here about distance sensors being produced by someone but I'm not sure about the quality or the functionality of them.
My 2015 911 is in the shop right now with this problem. My mechanic is telling me the same, that PORSCHE does not sell a replacement sensor for this. He thinks we may need to replace the transmission which will cost a fortune. Does anyone have any suggestions on a solve for this? My car only has 55,000 miles, is not a daily driver and is pretty much babied. I am in shock that I'm having to deal with this. Appreciate anyone's input.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:55 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JERZ911
My 2015 911 is in the shop right now with this problem. My mechanic is telling me the same, that PORSCHE does not sell a replacement sensor for this. He thinks we may need to replace the transmission which will cost a fortune. Does anyone have any suggestions on a solve for this? My car only has 55,000 miles, is not a daily driver and is pretty much babied. I am in shock that I'm having to deal with this. Appreciate anyone's input.
Are you saying that they have identified the distance sense as the issue? What are the codes / behavior? There are several aftermarket options for the distance (and speed) sensors and you can probably source a used OEM sensor too. Replacing these sensors is pretty straightforward.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:28 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

i had the dealer reflash the pdk software i n my unit when it was fairly new... it took a bit of preparation with coordination with porsche region head.. i faintly remember that it took a bit of time... like any proprietary software maybe there are codes that need to used to properly do this job.. just thinking out loud

Quick Reply: PDK advanced advice needed