Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 10:45 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

I think most of those saying pdk now would have one time sworn off automatics and would only drive manuals.

I am sure 20 years ago on here somewhere I said non manuals suck and are not real sports cars. True for the tiptronic, but not so true for modern dual clutches.

I was a manual guy through and through, at least I thought, until purchased my first pdk back in 2010ish. I always even felt like I had distinct advantages in certain older racer classes in part due to my ability to shift.

That was a new 997TT and the first time I had driven a non manual as my daily driver. I mean I SUVs to pull race cars/boats and etc., but always used a 911 turbo as a daily driver since 1989 and before that was an 1981 SC and a 1983 944 manual as a daily drive until I graduated college.

I still like manuals, but to me the paddle shifting is more race car like feel and more suiting for a more modern 911 with any performance. Rowing gears to me fits better in slower, lighter momentum type cars. High strung performance cars and exotics feel more exotic and just more right with paddle shifting.

I would still do a manual in an old 964/3.2/993 type or a momentum car like a Miata, but I actually really enjoy pdk, F1, e gear and etc. feel when in a high performance car. It just feels right and drove my dual clutches in manual mode 99.999% of the time so it’s not really an automatic technically.

I could take either and be happy, though I feel like the paddle shifting in manual mode creates a more race car, bad ****, super sports car type feel.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-13-2023 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ADias (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 03:21 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I still like manuals, but to me the paddle shifting is more race car like feel and more suiting for a more modern 911 with any performance. Rowing gears to me fits better in slower, lighter momentum type cars. High strung performance cars and exotics feel more exotic and just more right with paddle shifting.

I would still do a manual in an old 964/3.2/993 type or a momentum car like a Miata, but I actually really enjoy pdk, F1, e gear and etc. feel when in a high performance car. It just feels right
Completely agree.

Some people are whining about the lack of MT in the GT4RS. 500 hp and gearing that short? You'll be shifting (and losing time) constantly; no time to enjoy anything else about the car. And that's on street; it would be a serious nuisance on track...doesn't sound fun to me at all. But at the same time, they'll also whine about the tall gearing in the other GT cars. Can't rev it out in 2nd on the street...there's a reason for that.

You can just barely make a case for the MT in the <400 hp 981 GT4 and again, it has tall gearing. For a modern GT3/Turbo or even some of the newer turbo Carreras, I'd go PDK without a doubt. Performance envelope is far too large for the street anyhow, which means track time, which means you should have plenty of other things to do without necessarily finding "engagement" from the art of manual shifting. And I say this having driven MT continuously for 20 years; still love it in slower cars (like my BMW E46 330i and anything up through e.g. a 997 C2/C2S).
Old 04-14-2023, 04:41 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

Enjoy your floppy paddles, fellas.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 04-14-2023 at 10:21 PM.
Prairiedawg (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
PDK. Even though I am perfectly at ease with any manual stick shift transmission, I would not buy a modern 911 with one. PDK is just too good to pass up.
Well said. I feel the same way. And as I've said before, all things evolve and more often than not for the better. Who's using a typewriter anymore or a rotary dial phone?

Old 04-14-2023, 04:48 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
What a glorious sound!
Old 04-14-2023, 05:01 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

I’ve been a manual guy forever and all my cars are manual. I’ve recently gotten into sim racing and I have to admit the paddles are kinda fun (on track).

I still think that you’d just never be driving aggressively enough on the street to really utilize them.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
I’ve been a manual guy forever and all my cars are manual. I’ve recently gotten into sim racing and I have to admit the paddles are kinda fun (on track).

I still think that you’d just never be driving aggressively enough on the street to really utilize them.
As I see it, the PDK is not just about the paddles that so many focus on. It's how the transmission operates in manual mode. I hardly ever use the paddles since they're too sloppy for my likes. As I've said before, Porsche could learn a lesson from Benz on paddle feel.

Once oil is up to temperature I just move the gear lever to the left and push sport + mode. Not like a manual but your right hand is where it would be on a manual and you're moving it to shift when you want to shift. Not in an H pattern but forward and aft and no, you don't use your left leg. Not a big deal to me. The lack of "involvement" by not operating a manual that always enters these discussions is to me offset by the millisecond shifts in sport + manual. You don't have to be on a track or driving recklessly on the street to get a thrill out of this.
Liste-Renn (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 06:28 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

I dare you to watch either video and write that post again!

Are you really too occupied to shift with a clutch? Seriously. Turn off the autopilot and fly the plane, Jonas.

I jest.
Carry on.
Enjoy what you got and ignore the asshats who opine otherwise.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 04-15-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Manual for me but if was a daily driver that I’d have to commute in, I’d be ok with a PDK.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:25 PM
NC3Pedal
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends on where you live and where you drive. A few years back I commuted to a job in Miami so I bought an Audi S5 with the dual clutch transmission which I believe to be essentially the same box as PDK. Lightning fast shifts for sure and because of constant stop and go traffic a manual made no sense. But back here in NC with great back roads and mountains nearby, I drive a 2012 Carrera GTS with a manual. Yes PDK is faster, but negotiating twisty roads while heel and toeing and rowing up and down the gears (with one hand on the steering wheel!) really challenges me to be a better driver...and at age 72! So really depends on your circumstances. If I was back in FL with heavy traffic and no mountains, then PDK for sure. But as long as I am able, 3 pedals for me!
TxBob74 (04-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Which transmission?