Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for your reassurance.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:41 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Grade A Porsche Mechanics

GM. I just wanted to know out of all of the people on the threads are there any A Porsche mechanics on to give any input?
Old 04-30-2023, 01:31 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I feel bad that you need to continuously be so defensive. It's true that the PDK has yet to suffer a mechanical failure. And the rare distance sensor failure now has multiple options for repairs that are far less expensive than those reported for MTs (barely more than a clutch job). But really, we should focus on how lucky we are as a group to have the chance to drive these wonderful cars with the great array of options, even if you are in a sub group that has as much exposure to risk as the manual transmission creates!!!!!
Like usual Wayne, you've condensed much into just a few sentences (which for those of us that know you well, is saying something because when you speak your words, it is hard to stop you not because you can't stop, but because we can't stop listening!)

As you know, there are technically helpful, wise, witty, hilarious and creative types on RL that are additive to threads and then there are the flamethrowers of the world who add nothing to the conversation, which is seemingly what our cohort must like to do because it doesn't seem like he ever drives his silver cars as that, in my experience is challenging with the roads in NW WA (except for a very few special roads!) most of which must've been built by unimaginative road builders up on the far west side of the state, but I digress...

Back on topic and in the real world, PDK has truly allowed many more people (buyers) to step up and benefit from what is an awesome transmission (yes, maybe almost as awesome as the manual in my '10 4S! tongue firmly in cheek) and one that is damn fun whether it would be on the Sonoma coast or over Sonora Pass or out on CA 120 >> Benton or even on WA 821 (Yakima Canyon Rd) and down into NE OR where the roads better mirror many of the roads in CA that we get to practice on, enjoy and love!

Proper use, maintenance and care all go into a transmission's (or any mechanical / electronical system's) lifespan, so buy the owner applies here as well. And was mentioned earlier in this thread, take with a grain of salt advise from non-mechanics, of which as you know, I humbly hang my hat. You on the other are truly a Master Tech (+ much more!) and it has been an honor to watch you troubleshoot, identify and ideate solutions futzing with these incredibly special machines!

The following users liked this post:
ADias (05-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 07:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,454 Likes on 2,717 Posts

I feel bad that you need to continuously be so defensive. It's true that the PDK has yet to suffer a mechanical failure. And the rare distance sensor failure now has multiple options for repairs that are far less expensive than those reported for MTs (barely more than a clutch job). But really, we should focus on how lucky we are as a group to have the chance to drive these wonderful cars with the great array of options, even if you are in a sub group that has as much exposure to risk as the manual transmission creates!!!!!
Don't feel bad. Just joking around. I think you're being too sensitive.
With all due respect perhaps grow a sense of humor instead?

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-30-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:34 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Like usual Wayne, you've condensed much into just a few sentences (which for those of us that know you well, is saying something because when you speak your words, it is hard to stop you not because you can't stop, but because we can't stop listening!)
As you know, there are technically helpful, wise, witty, hilarious and creative types on RL that are additive to threads and then there are the flamethrowers of the world who add nothing to the conversation, which is seemingly what our cohort must like to do because it doesn't seem like he ever drives his silver cars as that, in my experience is challenging with the roads in NW WA (except for a very few special roads!) most of which must've been built by unimaginative road builders up on the far west side of the state, but I digress...
Back on topic and in the real world, PDK has truly allowed many more people (buyers) to step up and benefit from what is an awesome transmission (yes, maybe almost as awesome as the manual in my '10 4S! tongue firmly in cheek) and one that is damn fun whether it would be on the Sonoma coast or over Sonora Pass or out on CA 120 >> Benton or even on WA 821 (Yakima Canyon Rd) and down into NE OR where the roads better mirror many of the roads in CA that we get to practice on, enjoy and love!
Proper use, maintenance and care all go into a transmission's (or any mechanical / electronical system's) lifespan, so buy the owner applies here as well. And was mentioned earlier in this thread, take with a grain of salt advise from non-mechanics, of which as you know, I humbly hang my hat. You on the other are truly a Master Tech (+ much more!) and it has been an honor to watch you troubleshoot, identify and ideate solutions futzing with these incredibly special machines!
How dare you speak poorly of our PNW roads. I'm sending a letter to the Governor. They are nice roads and in the mountains windy and fun to drive like the roads in Marin/Sonoma area.
Of course more fun with Manual Transmission which allows much more interaction with the car/etc...But I digress.
...And I probably have many more miles in my silver Porsche's over the past 35 years than most on this Forum. Not that I keep count but it seems you do.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-30-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Rig.Stunts (05-05-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 09:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Don't feel bad. Just joking around. I think you're being too sensitive.
With all due respect perhaps grow a sense of humor instead?
Perhaps you mistake how you come across. On a Forum like this humor can come off as spewing acid. Especially when you feel a need to repeat things that are unsolicited.

I could almost let your comments go, but ...

It might be worth getting up to date as well. At least spew truths rather than denigrating our cars with false statements. I will quote PV997 in this regard ...

"Todd from ATL Speedworks has been very active over in the PDK repair sticky comments as has Frank from Beck's European in Arizona (the other shop they referred to). Both have been very helpful and have established they know what they are doing when it comes to the PDK. Good guys definitely.

As to the clutches they can be rebuilt now as Raybestos sells a friction ring replacement kit, a torque convertor shop can open it up and do the work. Aside from maybe not going nuts with launch control, I would not worry about the PDK or feel compelled to baby it. It's proven itself to be very robust and the days of any failure leading to a $20k replacement are long gone."

Parts are available for PDK repairs now. So repair costs are way down. In fact, given the ratio of MTs to PDKs and accounting for total miles driven, then referencing this to reports on this Forum over the last year you probably carry more financial risk with your MT than PDK owners do with their transmissions.

Fun may be another factor. But that's an individual choice for which you do not have dominion.

To the OP, sorry about hi hacking this thread. Now, back to our regular programming.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
ADias (05-01-2023), Rig.Stunts (05-05-2023), waterpanda (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 05:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
Mine does the same thing. If I hesitate briefly in neutral it slides right into second. I brought it to a dealer soon after I bought it
and they they said it's perfectly normal.
I have to disagree that this is "perfectly normal". My first 997, a manual 2006 C4S only had just over 2,000 miles on it when I bought it. Put almost 45,000 miles on it before trading to a 2009 C4S. Never....not once did I have this issue. In fact I think the 2006 997 manual was the best manual transmission I have ever driven. Even with a short shift kit installed. Smooth as glass and could be shifted with two finger tips, even from first to second.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:22 AM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Manual Transmission

I don’t know if I said that my car is manual Transmission. That is grinding from first to second when cold.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:58 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My car does that too. It balks when cold, on the 1-2 shift, and when going back into 1st. I find that if you take a second, and pause between 1st and second, it is fine. Your shifts basically just need to be slower when cold. When its warm, everything is fine and buttery smooth. FWIW, changing the transmission fluid with Mobil 1 PTX did help a little, but not eliminate the issue.
sbaro (05-08-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:23 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Perhaps you mistake how you come across. On a Forum like this humor can come off as spewing acid. Especially when you feel a need to repeat things that are unsolicited.
I could almost let your comments go, but ...
It might be worth getting up to date as well. At least spew truths rather than denigrating our cars with false statements. I will quote PV997 in this regard ...
"Todd from ATL Speedworks has been very active over in the PDK repair sticky comments as has Frank from Beck's European in Arizona (the other shop they referred to). Both have been very helpful and have established they know what they are doing when it comes to the PDK. Good guys definitely.
As to the clutches they can be rebuilt now as Raybestos sells a friction ring replacement kit, a torque convertor shop can open it up and do the work. Aside from maybe not going nuts with launch control, I would not worry about the PDK or feel compelled to baby it. It's proven itself to be very robust and the days of any failure leading to a $20k replacement are long gone."
Parts are available for PDK repairs now. So repair costs are way down. In fact, given the ratio of MTs to PDKs and accounting for total miles driven, then referencing this to reports on this Forum over the last year you probably carry more financial risk with your MT than PDK owners do with their transmissions.
Fun may be another factor. But that's an individual choice for which you do not have dominion.
To the OP, sorry about hi hacking this thread. Now, back to our regular programming.
Wayne I honestly mean no disrespect. This is a Manual Transmission Thread and I contributed to the Tread in explaining the replacement transmission in my 997 at 25K miles.
The PDK photo is meant as a joke between Manual Transmission owners. It is funny (I received several PM's to the point) and believe it or not I am being light hearted not as deep down serious as you take me to be.
With all the doomsday Bore Scoring and PDK issue threads I think it's important to keep things fun sometimes.
Sorry of you disagree.

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Rig.Stunts (05-05-2023), Wayne Smith (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:28 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RZau
I don’t know if I said that my car is manual Transmission. That is grinding from first to second when cold.
Yes we understand you have manual transmission - Older Ferrari's had a similar issue when cold. My 308 Ferrari was difficult to shift into 1st or 2nd gear unless warmed up.
Also one of my 997's had similar issue unless warmed up.

As others have suggested and as you have confirmed you are doing, best to do a complete transmission fluid flush/change and see if that helps.
It is very rare to hear of any 997 Manual Transmission issues but anything mechanical is prone to failure over time. *As I mentioned according to Carfax my 06 997 C4's transmission was replaced at 25K miles. I'm assuming it was due to similar issue with grinding.

BTW, Syncro problems were very common in the older aircooled Porsche's from 1973-1983 with the 915 transmission. Most all suffered from grinding going into 2nd gear and also downshifting and all needed rebuilds.

Good luck resolving the issue.

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-01-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by RZau
Seems like I had many 911s including 996TTs and 997TTs do this on the upshift to 2nd. A little annoying, but no big deal real. The time to worry if doing it in the downshift for synchro issues.

I mentioned something about synchro problems in another thread maybe 10 days and Groovezilla said he never heard of a 997 having synchro problems. Looks like 2 just in this thread have failed.

I have seen it throughout the years. Not common, but it does happen and may start happening more as they age.

pdk is certainly robust mechanically. Nice they can fix the software glitches cheaply now.

Last edited by Doug H; 05-01-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:34 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Not the Transmission

Hey people. My notchiness and light grinding is not the tranny but the shifter mechanism. Fluid was changed to a good one and only did this below 2000 RPM’s. While I’m at it I will be getting a short throw for my 2010 Carrera S Cabrio. That was second gear BTW.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:26 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

FWIW, there is an update kit that changes the linkage bushings at the transmission from plastic to aluminum. I put these onto a couple of friends' cars. They both reported smoother shifting. My main concern was reliability, not wanting to have to fix the dreaded transmission linkage failure on the side of the road. The smoother shifting was merely a bonus.

Also FWIW, I had previously installed short shifter kits on these cars as well. So two things were different.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:22 AM
Roskezy
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same issue getting into 2nd when the car is cold in my '08 C2S. Found that double clutching before going into 2nd until the car is at full op temp eliminates the resistance/grinding. Will try shifting slower to see if I get the same results.

Quick Reply: Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear