Sponsored by:

Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 10:27 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,454 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Floyd540
Congrats on reading my mind on my use of the word "unique" in the above post. Yes, stirring around with the long stick to find a gear, any gear is the unique part of shifting, brought over from the VW box. At least it was not "notchy" or hard to do given the leverage provided by super long stick. Shift throws were a bit longer than today, but still less than 3 feet. This is the box where reverse lived in an apartment all his own. Once you got used to the stirring around in the dark, it was quite satisfying, not fast but a joy to shift. Early 911's (pre 915) also had a non guided bit of stirring around until you learned how to play it. What I do not like is cars that have hard guides to direct your movements via hard gate plates. You know who that is. Too industrial feeling.
Back to my original statement somewhere, Given a trained left foot, right foot, brain, feel, timing and a right hand, shifting Porsche transmissions are a joy.
Riding the clutch with the left foot or keeping you hand on the shift lever or trying to get it to go with brute force just destroys the equipment.
Sounds like you would never own a manual transmission Porsche. The same religion I follow.
I get you on the gate thing. Now I'm missing another car.
Had a 1979 Ferrari 308 in hard to find Black leather interior I bought down in SF. Gated Transmission takes some of the fun out of it. Like having strict parents.
Had 12K miles and owned by Japanese businessman. Great specimen.
Not a good Seattle car unless you like acid poured on it or door kicked in.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Well said Sandwedge---> I have Function First short shift kit in my car. Also had short shift kit in a few of my past 997's but again whether short shift kit installed or not, tranny always shifted smooth.
FYI as aircooled 911 owners are aware the 915 transmission found in 1974-1983 911's had poor syncros resulting in grinding and almost every tranny needed rebuild. Back then in my 911sc's the cost was about $1500-$2000 for the rebuild.
These days the parts alone cost $2500-$4000 (If you need some gears which many do from the grinding) and labor is another $2500 making the 915 tranny rebuild in the $5-$7000 range.
I miss the old days
So earlier aircooled 911's like my 1971 911 T had better transmissions than later aircooled ones? As I said, I had absolutely no transmission issues with the 1971 911T.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:49 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Sounds like you would never own a manual transmission Porsche. The same religion I follow.
I get you on the gate thing. Now I'm missing another car.
Had a 1979 Ferrari 308 in hard to find Black leather interior I bought down in SF. Gated Transmission takes some of the fun out of it. Like having strict parents.
Had 12K miles and owned by Japanese businessman. Great specimen.
Not a good Seattle car unless you like acid poured on it or door kicked in.

Are people really that pathetic in the US now.

I am hearing stories and what little bit I read seems to reflect a very large number of people have lost their minds.

Messing with someone’s car is just plain, well dumb but maybe not too surprising in a place like Seattle.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:52 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
Are people really that pathetic in the US now.
I am hearing stories and what little bit I read seems to reflect a very large number of people have lost their minds.
Messing with someone’s car is just plain, well dumb but maybe not too surprising in a place like Seattle.
Unfortunately in Seattle and Portland there are groups of pathetic underachieving cowards that think it's fun destroying people's property.
Landrovers & high end sports cars are targets.
My wife's Mercedes sedan gets it's front license plate twisted/deformed every so often.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
So earlier aircooled 911's like my 1971 911 T had better transmissions than later aircooled ones? As I said, I had absolutely no transmission issues with the 1971 911T.
915 bad syncro transmission was in the 1972-1986 911's.
I thought the cutoff and introduction of the better G50 Transmission was 1984 but forgot it started in 1987 and why the 87/88/89 911 Carrera was a great example to own.

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-07-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 262 Posts

Small correction to the reply above. It should read "sounds like you would ONLY own a manual transmission Porsche." Yes that is true. In fact I have only owned one auto transmission car which was a '57 Ford convertible that I converted over to a stick when I was 17. We are a dedicated 3 pedal family..
Also great looking '53 pre A.
To clarify the clarifications; My findings and opinions are that all Porsches are easy to shift and given that they are rear engine rear drive, it is a miracle of engineering. (Unless there is actually something wrong with the car.) The Porsche patent balk ring synchro was used from its inception in 1948 up until 1987 when they finally caved to using the Borg Warner cone brake style that dates back to the thirties. My '32 and '40 Fords have Borg Warner brass cone style synchros. Why the change at Porsche away from their own patent style snychro? The balk ring was smoother than the B W style, but more delicate. As power goes up being delicate and robust becomes a challenge. Thus the change in 1987 and for the modern world the same deal as seen in the 997's and the Asian gearbox. The synchro is a friction brake and more power requires bigger brakes.
In all my Porsche years I have never heard a discussion or complaint about Porsche shifting until the 997 era and it is always from new to them owners. In all or most cases this goes away with time-practice. The new series of transmissions are certainly rugged in order to carry the power (torque load) which is 5 to almost 10 times what we started with and to make it worse the world wants short shift throws which reduces the leverage Given all that, the 997's shift great and I have no complaints.
To star a t potentially new controversial discussion, I wonder how many of the newer Porsche car owners started their driving careers on stick shift cars and have only driven stick cars? If you started out on stick cars you have learned over the years that they all have differences but you learned to operate them effectively. Like playing guitar, it takes a lot longer than you realize.
A couple of fun pics to get back on topic (sorta)

Here is the simple 519 gearbox used in the pre-A. Simple with Porsche synchros. VW with reverse outside in the nosecone. Like always, parts were had to find. You had to know Chuck Stoddard.

Both of these cars shifted great even though one was a jalopy at the time I took this picture.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

^^When I bought my 1953 Pre-A it came with a spare 519 Transmission on a crate.
Miss the 356 days! My 1959 Super Sunroof was a great find. I restored it in Ukiah California - Only needed paint and I flew down to put it back together.
Some photos after paint and then next trip down to get it ready for drive home.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:33 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks great! The A was the last of the good looking 356 series in my opinion. Porsche was having to deal even then with modernizing their cars and still keep with an iconic image. Fortunately they had enough money and threw in the towel and voila the 901! The 997 is kinda the 356A of the modern series.
Great coupe and modern convivences like windows and they even roll up.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (05-07-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 04:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

915 bad syncro transmission was in the 1972-1986 911's.
I thought the cutoff and introduction of the better G50 Transmission was 1984 but forgot it started in 1987 and why the 87/88/89 911 Carrera was a great example to own.
Guess I just made the cut then with the 1971
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (05-08-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 10:03 AM
RZau
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mobilube PTX

Hello all. My second gear is still driving me crazy when gear oil is cold. Once warmed up all ok. Has the Mobilube PTX really helped? I’m bringing my car back to the shop. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Rob
Old 01-08-2024, 04:05 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default Grind Into Second Gear

Just when I thought I got it down. My 2010 Carrera S sat for a while and it’s been in the 30’s. As soon as I tried to shift to second it grinded. Again if I pause no problems. Once the car’s temperature is up then all is smooth. Frustrating
Old 01-08-2024, 04:11 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you replace with mobilelube? It absolutely helped.. but still notchy if the cars been sitting for a while
Old 01-08-2024, 05:48 PM
RZau
Intermediate

Default PTX

Yes, I did change to mobilube PTX. Still have to pause for a sec before going into second gear when the car is cold only. I have been told by 3 mechanics that my car is normal. IDoNo. Lol
Old 01-08-2024, 06:20 PM
BillB128
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I think you can chalk a lot of your issues up to your driving environment. Most, if not all, of the people saying they have never experienced an issue
selecting second gear when both the weather and vehicle are cold, live in warmer climes. If you're out and it's in the 30's I think you just have
to be ready to really take your time selecting 2nd gear or reverse for the first few miles of operation.

I've owned and driven manual transmission cars for my entire life and have owned my current 997 for over eleven years. I have experienced the second gear crunch if I'm not super
patient on a chilly morning (sub 50's). I've double clutched and also selected another gear before selecting reverse. All these operations will help, but I think the common denominator is taking a
few beats before you select second or reverse. And by a few beats, I mean like a Two Mississippi count .
I look at it as an inherent trait of the car.

On the bright side, you're out enjoying your car in weather that many owners won't brave, so hold your head high

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 01-08-2024, 06:20 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RZau
Yes, I did change to mobilube PTX. Still have to pause for a sec before going into second gear when the car is cold only. I have been told by 3 mechanics that my car is normal. IDoNo. Lol
im in the same boat. I feel like if you pump the clutch a few times it actually helps?

Quick Reply: Grinding and Notchy when Shifting into Second Gear