Sponsored by:

Original tires -- tell me I'm stupid

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 01:52 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cbredesen
You've already got the right answer but I'm genuinely curious if they are showing any signs of dry rot at all. You should still replace them.
Visually perfect, tons of tread. The only thing is there's a bit of "sheen" on the tread that I'm betting I could smoke off in a big parking lot. I think the key is that if I'm going to play with them I should do so somewhere where I can't hit anything. Traction will surely be worse than my already weak DWS06s I'm running on my 18s
Old 05-11-2023, 04:36 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 550 Posts

It's a long drive for you from Bellevue (!), but the big turnout on the Angeles Crest Highway is a scenic spot to scrub off some rubber.
I was there very late on a Friday night a few years ago and it was crazy with about a hundred cars and a series of idiots drifting in big circles of smoke.
Ton of fun to watch, though.

Downtown LA and the Pacific Ocean are visible in the distance.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 05-11-2023 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:33 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
It's a long drive for you from Bellevue (!), but the big turnout on the Angeles Crest Highway is a scenic spot to scrub off some rubber.
I was there very late on a Friday night a few years ago and it was crazy with about a hundred cars and a series of idiots drifting in big circles of smoke.

I took my kids up to the Mount Wilson Observatory in November for a family outing in our SUV. We're in Palos Verdes and it's a good two hour drive up there. I saw the tread marks in the turnouts and thought, "who in the world drives all the way up here just to do burn outs?" Now I know.

Amazing view from up there. I've got an infrared zoom camera and could see San Nicolas Island about a hundred miles away. The observatory is worth a visit too.

Edit: BTW, that's the Palos Verdes hills in the distance behind the downtown LA skyline. We're on the far side towards the ocean and Catalina. You can just see Catalina another 25 miles past Palos Verdes in the haze.

Last edited by PV997; 05-11-2023 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 08:35 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
https://www.thedrive.com/article/518...rs-fatal-crash

Get rid of the tires. My tires have 7 years on the fronts but plenty of tread. I just drove it this past Sunday for the first time this year and could feel the lack of grip. New PS4S go on it Friday.

Roger was a close friend of mine and I spent many years racing with him. I said this many times back when it happened, but many including a few on this specific forum had their own agendas or prejudices. On here over the years I said Roger was a great driver and pretty conservative. Guys at our level just don’t lose it unless their is an equipment failure.

Be difficult not to jump in a new used CGT to stretch its legs that arrived with old tires, but I am sure those tires would have been replaced had that wreck not happened. I am sure many have jumped in hyper cars with old tires throughout the years and gotten away with it. Roger and Paul didn’t.

It is honestly just plain dumb to intentionally drive a car like a 911 on old, crappy tires. It’s not much smarter to drives in mismatched front and rears. These cars are really only as good as the tires.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:39 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry!

Last edited by larrytrk; 05-12-2023 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong thread
Old 05-12-2023, 08:44 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

SORRY WRONG THREAD, COULD’NT ERASE IT!
Old 05-12-2023, 12:00 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

For street use no problem just keep in mind not to push them to the limits of adhesion or to warp speeds ... Besides if like me you will most likely get a nail in them before they ever pop or wear out.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 05-12-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:06 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

I am headed to Long Beach for the whole summer and having my car shipped. Can’t wait to hit the Angeles Crest and Topanga Canyons!

Also having 8 of my Austin friends fly out in August for the Porsche Experience and Canyon runs in Turo cars!

Quick Reply: Original tires -- tell me I'm stupid