Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best options for Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 02:28 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

I encouraged using a bus analysis to, as you say, sniff out the model and auto configure. But, unless you were the original engineer designing the CANBUS, I can see how that might be viewed as a risky endeavor!!!

Then again, if there was anyone I would trust to break the code, you would be amongst those on a very (VERY) short list 😀

Edit: I did not have a backup camera, so mine is an after-market. I also did not have satellite radio. Anthony added that, which did require coding (registration) via PIWIS.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 07-13-2023 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:06 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

I found the instruction manual on the El Cheapo $235 version and the link is below. Looks like the developer is a Chinese company called Isudar though it's marketed under multiple names. Isudar has a firmware/software update section but I don't see anything for this particular unit (though I didn't look very hard).

https://xyingly.com/u_file/2301/18/f...cm305-4931.pdf

According to the instructions which are actually surprisingly good, the back-up camera connectivity is different depending on configuration:
  • Factory camera - Don't need to do anything, the camera is connected through the factory harness and is pre-configured
  • Aftermarket camera with AT - Connect camera signal/power to the RCA connector and power lines, activated via Canbus, setting menu needs to be configured
  • Aftermarket camera with MT - Connect camera signal/power to the RCA connector and power lines, activated via reverse light trigger line, setting menu needs to be configured
Guessing here but since the great majority of 9x7.2s are AT they probably just hard-coded it for that rather than having to stock different variations. Looks like Mr 12 Volt does the same thing. No info on if the dynamic guide lines are active (i.e. curve with turning) but we'll see when I get the unit. Dynamic steering should be able to work with any version as steering angle is on the Canbus.

Hoping this works out as it would be nice to have a reliable, inexpensive alternative that most people can DIY.
The following users liked this post:
sabotaged (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:14 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

I ended up buying the El Cheapo model directly from Isudar's website though it cost me $20 more (promo code Sum2023). I did this because it's pretty clear they are the developers and know this model best based on their documentation and the others are middlemen/resellers. Plus shipping was faster and I was able to pay using Paypal for some added protection.

Funny thing is they really must think we gweilos are stupid as they required me to send a picture of my HU to make sure I wasn't buying the wrong one. They also asked about Sirius/XM radio (which I have) and pointed out I would need longer stand-offs so the board could sit above the satellite module. I already knew this but appreciated they took the time to make sure I was aware.

I'll post the installation details and a product review once it's in place along with a back-up camera. I have high hopes for this as I'm really tired of seeing people shelling out big bucks if there's a simple $250 DIY solution.

Edit: Adding that correspondence with Isudar so far has been great, they seem to know English better than some recent high school graduates I know. Also, I understand why they would want confirmation the buyer actually is selecting the right model with the time/cost involved in shipping and returns.

Last edited by PV997; 07-14-2023 at 11:26 AM.
Jaws1 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 01:24 PM
fourplates
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing I did with my 997.1 in 2014 was to upgrade to a head unit with carplay. I bought a pioneer unit + the MOST bose adapters and had an installer put it in. The upgrade in audio quality was so huge that it was worth it for that alone (music sounds truly awful out of the 997.1 stock head unit.. particularly bad given how great the speaks *can* sound). Last year, I added a "Carlinkit 4.0 Wireless CarPlay" adapter (can find it on amazon) and that has also been a big upgrade. You guys can probably try adding that wireless adapter to these newer systems.. good chance it works!
Old 07-14-2023, 01:45 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
I ended up buying the El Cheapo model directly from Isudar's website though it cost me $20 more (promo code Sum2023). I did this because it's pretty clear they are the developers and know this model best based on their documentation and the others are middlemen/resellers. Plus shipping was faster and I was able to pay using Paypal for some added protection.

Funny thing is they really must think we gweilos are stupid as they required me to send a picture of my HU to make sure I wasn't buying the wrong one. They also asked about Sirius/XM radio (which I have) and pointed out I would need longer stand-offs so the board could sit above the satellite module. I already knew this but appreciated they took the time to make sure I was aware.

I'll post the installation details and a product review once it's in place along with a back-up camera. I have high hopes for this as I'm really tired of seeing people shelling out big bucks if there's a simple $250 DIY solution.

Edit: Adding that correspondence with Isudar so far has been great, they seem to know English better than some recent high school graduates I know. Also, I understand why they would want confirmation the buyer actually is selecting the right model with the time/cost involved in shipping and returns.
Thanks, just bought one myself.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:56 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jaws1
Thanks, just bought one myself.
Wow, be nice to have two data points. AT? I'd be a little concerned about an MT based on some comments I've seen but I bet someone determined could get it to work.

If you look at the install instructions for the PCM 3.1 version they use the original case rather than the replacement top half (thus keeping the locking mechanisms). They are able to snake the cables through a relatively small hole by bending the wires over the connector sideways and feeding the connector through long ways. I think this is how I'm going to do it, probably need about a half-inch diameter hole, maybe a little bigger. After the cables are through then slide the connectors through a large grommet one by one, then slide the grommet down the cables to the hole.

I've got an XM radio antenna connector at the hole they are using but the idea is the same, will need to drill a new one somewhere. Could be on either the top or bottom.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:51 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Pretty good video on an installed Isudar PCM 3.1 version in a Panamera. I have not found much on the PCM 3.0 version as it looks like it was released relatively recently. Lots of good feedback on the 3.1 version though, the consensus is that it's more responsive and less buggy than Joyeauto.

From reviewing the spec the 3.0 version should be basically identical to the 3.1 version except with reduced screen resolution (due to the HU having a lower res screen). That's a limit for any of these boxes in a PCM 3.0.

Looking forward to getting this unit in and writing up a review as it would mean Carplay with front and back cameras for under $300. Can't beat that.

Last edited by PV997; 07-15-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:37 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Wow, be nice to have two data points. AT? I'd be a little concerned about an MT based on some comments I've seen but I bet someone determined could get it to work.
Mine’s a MT, but it doesn’t have Bose, XM or nav and at this point im not planning on adding a camera so it should be as easy a job as it can be.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:55 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Got the Isudar unit installed along with front/back cameras all for about $290. Seems to work flawlessly for the things I've tested. I cannot speak for everyone's specific application but for my case this thing has to be considered a bargain.

https://www.isudar.com/collections/w...40253447405650

(Price fluctuates, I paid $260 shipped. I bought two decent quality AHD cameras on Amazon for $13 each)

What I've tried:
  • Connectivity - Works fine but follow the instructions closely to set up a reliable connection (wired first, then wireless on first connection)
  • Apple Carplay - seems to work great, no issues so far
  • Back-up camera - automatically switches with dynamic guidelines (i.e. curve with steering), worked fine right off the bat
  • Screen mirroring - wired only, but seems to work fine
  • DVR - works but seems limited, see below
  • Bluetooth calling - works fine after running echo cancellation routine (included)
  • Sound quality - generally good but you need to set the treble and bass on the PCMs Aux screen to -6 then compensate with the Isudar's equalizer (this fixes the PCM's lousy Aux port audio characteristics). Credit to someone over on the Macan forum who figured this out.
  • Responsiveness - very fast, no lag at all except it needs about five seconds after initial power up to boot

What I have not tried:
  • Android Auto - no Android phone
  • Steering wheel controls - don't have them
  • USB audio or video
  • 360 cameras - Isudar has provisions for it, but I'm only using front/back

Issues/Details:
  • Touchscreen is slightly off position wise (about 1/8" low), could not find a calibration routine so I emailed Isudar yesterday. Have not heard back yet
  • DVR seems very limited in it's configuration abilities and is manually activated. I'd like it to run automatically on a loop but cannot figure out how to set this.
  • If you have Sirius XM (like I do) you'll need to buy standoffs exactly 35 mm in height (I used a 20 mm + 15 mm) to fit above the XM module but below the fan's metal shroud
  • Having both XM and a multidisc changer will be very tight with the ribbon cables, single disc changer (what I have) has plenty of room
  • Video quality is so-so, but that's from the PCM screen not the Isudar. Same thing with touchscreen responsiveness
  • Mine is a PDK but Isudar says an MT may have problems and doesn't recommend it. Not sure what to think there.

I'll probably write something up after I've had it for a while with some pictures. If you are looking for Carplay/cameras on the cheap though (particularly with a PDK), this cannot beat for the price. Seriously, under $300 to add these conveniences to the PCM is a no-brainer. Since I have a cab the back-up camera is a must have. If I can get the front camera DVR running on loop I'll be thrilled.

Last edited by PV997; 08-13-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Rig.Stunts (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

I suspect the manual transmission has a problem getting CANBus info for the backup camera. Well done on the rest!!!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:30 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I suspect the manual transmission has a problem getting CANBus info for the backup camera. Well done on the rest!!!
Thanks Wayne. It does seem to be related to the Canbus but it must cause some other quirks. Isudar's website says this:

Please note that the PCM3.0 CarPlay box is only suitable for automatic transmission.
If your car is an manual transmission cars, installing the box may lead to the following issues:
1) The touch area of Android Auto may be misaligned;
2) The rearview camera needs to be manually connected;

3) CarPlay and Android Auto may not switch correctly after the car ignition.

Hopefully Jaws1 will post how his installation went.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:22 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Wayne. It does seem to be related to the Canbus but it must cause some other quirks. Isudar's website says this:

Please note that the PCM3.0 CarPlay box is only suitable for automatic transmission.
If your car is an manual transmission cars, installing the box may lead to the following issues:
1) The touch area of Android Auto may be misaligned;
2) The rearview camera needs to be manually connected;

3) CarPlay and Android Auto may not switch correctly after the car ignition.

Hopefully Jaws1 will post how his installation went.
I actually canceled my order because the manufacturer said that it "might not" work with manual cars. They couldn't provide any details as to whether or not it was related to a CANBUS issue.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Anyone recognize this aftermarket head unit? Car is a 997.2.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:45 AM
Kodos9865
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

How hard is it to install a rear camera? I have a 997.2 (2009), manual. I’m leaning towards the NM unit.

Quick Reply: Best options for Carplay