Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PDK just died again

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 08:46 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It’s not the temperature sensor that failed, they allege, but, other problems, leading to high temperatures. Non specific!
any suggestions as to who I can donate the car to if I can’t sell it? At least get a write off.

Last edited by larrytrk; 07-18-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 867 Posts

2009 C2S 191K

What did Atlanta Speedwerks say about that diagnosis?

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 07-18-2023, 11:30 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

As I understand it ...

The overheating is a report from the temp sensor. The temp sensor is internal. There were problems with how some of these were connected. Dealers are allowed to change it one time. They have specific instructions on how to do this. It is a difficult process requiring skill. After it is changed the wires are now too short to have it replaced a second time. But if it wasn't done right it can fail again.

Whatever the case. I think you are giving up too easily. If you can afford to donate the car it seems you can afford to investigate a repair for a bit longer. Just my two cents.

Meanwhile, an earworm ... 1 800 cars 4 kids.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:52 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
As I understand it ...

The overheating is a report from the temp sensor. The temp sensor is internal. There were problems with how some of these were connected. Dealers are allowed to change it one time. They have specific instructions on how to do this. It is a difficult process requiring skill. After it is changed the wires are now too short to have it replaced a second time. But if it wasn't done right it can fail again.

Whatever the case. I think you are giving up too easily. If you can afford to donate the car it seems you can afford to investigate a repair for a bit longer. Just my two cents.

Meanwhile, an earworm ... 1 800 cars 4 kids.
I agree. And although it's not authorized by Porsche (that is the dealer won't do it for you) those temp sensor wires can be spliced to be extended. Plus the connection can be soldered rather than crimped to ensure a robust and reliable connection. I've seen it done and it worked fine, Porsche's restrictions are overly conservative.

As Bruce mentioned, check with Todd at ATL Speedworks (Atlanta) or Frank at Beck's European (Phoenix). These guys know PDKs and will give you it too you straight. Personally I'd probably DIY the temp sensor (assuming warranty won't cover it) as it's cheap to do and might fix the whole thing. Low risk, high reward. Depends on your skill level though.

Maybe it's getting lost in translation but it sounds like the dealer is saying they don't know the cause but they know it's not the temp sensor. I'd push back on that as it doesn't pass the sniff test IMO. As to "other problems" they mentioned, the only thing I can think of is clutch failure as I mentioned above. Even if that's the case though, the clutches can now be opened up and relined with new friction rings from Raybestos.

https://www.raybestospowertrain.com/...acks/rcp96-391

Of course, the dealer won't do any of this stuff but will insist the PDK is shot and you need a new one. It's not true, but you'll need to take matters into your own hands to get this resolved.
The following users liked this post:
toddlamb (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
... it sounds like the dealer is saying they don't know the cause but they know it's not the temp sensor. ...
This!

Old 07-18-2023, 02:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
This!
Not surprised and this is not a knock on the dealer. I think it is, frankly, wrong to criticize a dealer on their lack of knowledge. Porsche simply does not allow them to become knowledgeable. Porsche "demands" that the transmission be replaced and has declared it a non-serviceable item.

Anger? Direct it at Porsche HQ.

Peace
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
Floyd540 (07-18-2023), Larson E. Rapp (07-19-2023), TommyV44 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:47 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a 14 year old car, as much as I have pampered and tended to it the idea of spending a large sum to repair it is getting old.
repairing the PDK or replacing doesn’t guarantee that something else may not go.
I am cutting my losses and hoping to get $12,500-$15,000 and end this……
regrettably, this may be the end of my 53 years in PCA and my interactions with all you Rennlister’s!
we shall see!!
thanks for all the input!
Old 07-18-2023, 02:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
This is a 14 year old car, as much as I have pampered and tended to it the idea of spending a large sum to repair it is getting old.
repairing the PDK or replacing doesn’t guarantee that something else may not go.
regrettably, this may be the end of my 53 years in PCA and my interactions with all you Rennlister’s!
we shall see!!
Hang on a minute there...
Don't give up on Porsche just because of this. Porsches certainly have some issues - but it's what they return to the owner that makes it 100% worth it. Nothing else even remotely comes close.

Your car is 14 years old. It's a teenager!

My car is 35 now, and the value it continues to return is to me, priceless.

Pick up the pieces after this experience you're having and jump back in. Don't give up on Porsche.

The following 5 users liked this post by Ironman88:
BillB128 (07-18-2023), DesmoSD (08-23-2023), Kodos9865 (07-18-2023), preelude (07-19-2023), TommyV44 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:06 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Not surprised and this is not a knock on the dealer. I think it is, frankly, wrong to criticize a dealer on their lack of knowledge. Porsche simply does not allow them to become knowledgeable. Porsche "demands" that the transmission be replaced and has declared it a non-serviceable item.

Anger? Direct it at Porsche HQ.

Peace
True. But an honest dealer would say something like, "We're only allowed to replace the transmission per Porsche policy. However, there are less costly methods to repair the transmission that you may want to consider before making this decision. These are not authorized by Porsche but they do exist. Look into it and let us know what you'd like to do."

Yet this is never said as far as I can tell, it's always, "The transmission cannot be repaired only replaced".

I'm done with giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. Plus they already sent the OP a suggested service recommendation with a $26k price (LOL) and lied to him saying the PDK was VIN-matched to car. What does it take for people to admit these are not good-faith exchanges?

Edit: And the VIN matching lie was significant as the inference is that the PDK can't be replaced with a used transmission. Completely false.

Edit 2: People have been repairing these transmission going on four years now, I find it impossible to believe the dealers don't know this. Just google "PDK repair". The first link is to the Rennlist post. After that are videos discussing it. After that are apparently sponsored posts from numerous companies offering the service including ATL Speedworks. Same with Duck Duck Go. As H.L. Mencken said, "It Is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it".

https://www.google.com/search?q=PDK+repair

Last edited by PV997; 07-18-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Larson E. Rapp (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:18 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

we shall see!!
Larry you should do what you think is best, but I can tell you that you are making this decision based on incomplete and/or false information. That's up to you as I get it that sometimes people don't want to deal with stuff anymore. Just make sure you are doing it with your eyes wide open.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
True. But an honest dealer would say something like, "We're only allowed to replace the transmission per Porsche policy. However, there are less costly methods to repair the transmission that you may want to consider before making this decision. These are not authorized by Porsche but they do exist. Look into it and let us know what you'd like to do."

Yet this is never said as far as I can tell, it's always, "The transmission cannot be repaired only replaced".

I'm done with giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. Plus they already sent the OP a suggested service recommendation with a $26k price (LOL) and lied to him saying the PDK was VIN-matched to car. What does it take for people to admit these are not good-faith exchanges?

Edit: And the VIN matching lie was significant as the inference is that the PDK can't be replaced with a used transmission. Completely false.
Yea, you are probably right.

I think Porsche and its dealerships are suffering from "successitis". GM went through this in the 60's and in the 70's we saw crap. I got stories from back then... too many to go into. My buddy has purchased six Audi A8s over many years and really hated his latest and the dealership. He said the dealership just became really greedy and rotten and car quality deteriorated. He just purchased a Tesla. I think Porsche is starting to do this... maybe VW directives? Ford did this with Nasser who shortly after his appointment, ripped out QA in the factories and ordered engineering to design to warrenty... so said my buddy who was there most his career.

Why do they do it? Here is what they do... money comes pouring in and the brand is like a heavy train with big inertia... the senior folks see an opportunity to squeeze more and more. However, they start f'n with the brand... they don't care because they land massive bonuses and it takes about seven years to start killing the luster... no issues... they retire and their children's children are taken care of. Kill the goose laying the golden eggs then run. Been done... will cycle.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-18-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:23 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

It’s not the temperature sensor that failed, they allege, but, other problems, leading to high temperatures. Non specific!
any suggestions as to who I can donate the car to if I can’t sell it? At least get a write off.
Broken clock can be right twice a day... They are right in this - temperature errors are secondary. And 0730 points to a failed speed sensor. By not gettin the right shaft speed values on two sides of a drivetrain - car thinks that ratio is wrong, throws 0730 and goes into limp mode to protect the PDK.

Those particular sensors are not available from Porsche, and dealers will not do the repairs. But we manufacture this sensor and we can recommend the PDK repair shops if you contact us directly.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 07-18-2023 at 04:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by t-design:
booch (07-19-2023), toddlamb (07-18-2023), TommyV44 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 04:28 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

We would certainly be happy to help. We have repaired much more complicated issues and still saved over a new PDK.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

jbkusa (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 06:15 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 191K miles

BTW, the video Todd has in his post above mine... that is the seminar they presented where I attened. In the video, they go through various failure modes and such... I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to understand these issues. Thanx Todd. Great seminar.

Peace

The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
DesmoSD (08-23-2023), RABjr (08-27-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 07:17 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry this happened to you Larry. I am in agreement with most others on this thread. Step back and take a breath. This experience with the dealer sucks but it is fixable and it won’t cost a fortune. Fix the PDK through one of the reputable shops here on Rennlist and get back to enjoying the fantastic 997 experience.

In the case that you do decide to sell anyway, send me a PM with details on your car. I know a few folks in the market that may buy it even with the PDK problem. I am sure others in this thread would also be interested.

Jeff

Quick Reply: My PDK just died again