Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My PDK just died again

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 07:36 PM
Goose 993
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts

At least look at the cost to fix it, and then decide if you want to sell.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:54 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 156 Posts

Blood is in the water

The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (08-23-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 11:55 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Broken clock can be right twice a day... They are right in this - temperature errors are secondary. And 0730 points to a failed speed sensor. By not gettin the right shaft speed values on two sides of a drivetrain - car thinks that ratio is wrong, throws 0730 and goes into limp mode to protect the PDK.

Those particular sensors are not available from Porsche, and dealers will not do the repairs. But we manufacture this sensor and we can recommend the PDK repair shops if you contact us directly.
Respect your opinion Vlad as I know you have done a lot of work on this. Completely agree the ratio fault would normally indicate a speed sensor failure (and I noted this above) but I cannot wrap my head around the three overtemp faults. Why would a speed senor failure cause this? That's why I was thinking a clutch failure. Perhaps the speed sensor is fine and there really is a speed mismatch from the clutch slipping. That would heat up the clutch fluid quickly.

Regardless, speed sensor, temp sensor, or clutch it's all fixable. And fixable at far less than the hit Larry would take selling it as a roller.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:59 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep any and all of those repairs would be FAR less than replacement. Waiting to hear back from Larry - would love to help him get back on the road and be happy with his whip. 50+ years of PCA is no small feat.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

The following 2 users liked this post by toddlamb:
DesmoSD (08-23-2023), RABjr (08-27-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:19 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Respect your opinion Vlad as I know you have done a lot of work on this. Completely agree the ratio fault would normally indicate a speed sensor failure (and I noted this above) but I cannot wrap my head around the three overtemp faults. Why would a speed senor failure cause this? That's why I was thinking a clutch failure. Perhaps the speed sensor is fine and there really is a speed mismatch from the clutch slipping. That would heat up the clutch fluid quickly.

Regardless, speed sensor, temp sensor, or clutch it's all fixable. And fixable at far less than the hit Larry would take selling it as a roller.
I agree that the temp and speed sensor faults are just symptoms of the actual issue. To me it looks like a problem with the clutch or the systems ability to control it. I had very similar symptoms and codes on a 987 which was corrected by replacing the valve body (my next step would have been to replace the clutch). I'd think it would be easy to confirm reasonable readings from both the temp and speed sensors using PIWIS to rule those out. Anyway, here's the troubleshooting diagram for the P0730 code.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:49 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

The knowledge displayed on this thread is just another reminder of why this forum is so good. Probably the best on the web.

OP, hope this works out for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patrick E:
Graufuchs (07-19-2023), sandwedge (07-21-2023), tegraphile (08-23-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:53 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I appreciate all the suggestions I have received from you all.
As I have said I’m getting too old to fight.
14 years of joy and all the extras I personally put into this car allow me to look back on it with joy.
But. For me, the time has passed.
of course I welcome any bids, however, I am no longer interested in repair.
thanks again.
larry T

Last edited by larrytrk; 07-19-2023 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:41 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
The knowledge displayed on this thread is just another reminder of why this forum is so good. Probably the best on the web.

OP, hope this works out for you.
This!!!!! One hundred times this 😀
Old 07-19-2023, 11:42 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
14 years of joy and all the extras I personally put into this car allow me to look back on it with joy.
thanks again.
larry T
It saddens me to read this, but in my many years of experience I understand when a phase in life comes to an end. Good luck as you move forward wherever your road leads you.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:52 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
It saddens me to read this, but in my many years of experience I understand when a phase in life comes to an end. Good luck as you move forward wherever your road leads you.
thanks for the message, I have appreciated all the interactions I’ve had over all these years and I will miss it!
Old 07-19-2023, 02:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

thanks for the message, I have appreciated all the interactions I’ve had over all these years and I will miss it!
Where will you go from here? If not another Porsche which other brand/model?
Old 07-19-2023, 03:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,716 Posts

thanks again.
larry T
Sorry to hear the news. The PDK does present some huge costly repairs as well as Bore Scoring but still the % is low.
I'm sorry you had to deal with this and hope you shop for a 997 soon!

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-19-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:59 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997

The question to ask here is "did the overtemp errors happened at the same time as 0730?". On paper it all looks like it's a log of things happened at the same time, but in reality those errors in PIWIS can be half a year apart
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 07-20-2023, 10:36 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,468 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
The question to ask here is "did the overtemp errors happened at the same time as 0730?". On paper it all looks like it's a log of things happened at the same time, but in reality those errors in PIWIS can be half a year apart
Good point. As was noted above, using the PIWIS to read the real-time speed sensor and temp sensor data could probably sort this out pretty quickly. Dealers won't do it though despite the fact the capability is built right into the tools they have.
Old 07-21-2023, 04:54 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This!!!!! One hundred times this 😀
Yes!!

Quick Reply: My PDK just died again