ambient lighting on 997 - yay or nay

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 01:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

Originally Posted by jalvani
Surprisingly hot take, @slicky rick, but I think it'd look great. There's research that shows that a low-brightness colored - specifically red or red-orange - ambient light does make nighttime driving easier and less straining on the eyes. That's one of the reasons it's been included by more modern cars over the past ~15 years or so. If I'm remembering the papers I read, blue and white instrument cluster lights are most strenuous on the eyes, red and orange are least. I believe this carries over to ambient lighting as well, but it's been about a decade since I read about it.

If you go for it, I definitely want to see the results of your labor.
I actually noticed how nice the cockpit in my daughter's Audi Q5 is to drive at night with the Red lighting. Might play around with that in some of the other cars when I have the PODs out.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I would keep it simple. No need to change them out, needlessly. I recently drove a rather bizarre BMW and they seem to love blue..

BMW I8
Old 10-07-2023, 07:56 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is totally reversible mod... haven't really driven at night... at dawn and dusk it's barely noticeable.... the pics make the light seem bright but really is not.... it's very very dim... really don't know why the phone cam made it look so blue!

Last edited by slicky rick; 10-07-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:58 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Another take....it's also dimmable and can be turned off if desired. my interior is sea blue.... it only works when it's getting dark outside and the the ignition is on... I installed a light sensitive switch that turns it off automatically when it's bright outside... no danger of leaving it on and discharging the battery.... there is actually only 3 leds per corner ...

Last edited by slicky rick; 10-07-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:17 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 314 Posts

My DD 2015 Lexus has ambient lighting in it. It certainly classes up the interior and is hardly a distraction. It’s subtly integrated into the door panels….and other places. Don’t drive much at night and it really subtle so I’m not sure where else. If there was an inexpensive and non-invasive way to add it to my 997, I’d consider it. But again, I don’t do much night driving, so then again it might not be worth it.Foot wells wouldn’t be too hard but if you wanted to get fancy and add it into the door panels or the cubby and where ever else, might be a bit of a stretch. Also, I would absolutely NOT do blue. For some reason my eyes just can’t stand blue lights. I can’t see it clearly. My mom have a blue lit clock on here microwave and unless I’m 2 feet an away I cannot read the time on it.

My DD looks something like this (just a quick screen grab from the interwebz):

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 10-07-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: ambient lighting on 997 - yay or nay