Sponsored by:

911 going electric?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 08:45 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
The car market is global and we aren’t the only pushing towards EVs.

IMO EVs have their place for some folks and once range and charging networks mature I am looking forward to replacing our daily driven vehicles with them.

The Germans have a very robust charging network, pretty jealous of them in that regard.

On the other point, this is a car forum, not Facebook.

Saw one at the Porsche Experience in LA inside back in August, it was wild.

Thanks for the heads up...I didn't realize it!
Old 10-03-2023, 08:56 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 296 Posts

going electric.. hmmm just ask any woman if she prefers a vibrator or a real thing. 911 better stay ICE or Porsche should just end it with a BANG, ultimate 911 that won't be limited production, but available to anyone willing to buy one at MSRP
The following 3 users liked this post by markmark26:
DesmoSD (10-04-2023), Graufuchs (10-04-2023), TommyV44 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 09:54 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

Electrics have phenomenal acceleration, but lack soul. They have their use case (local commuter), but are not ready for mainstream. Infrastructure not there, recharge time is terrible, and if you think electricity is expensive now, wait until the demand spikes and we all pay more per kWh.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
anewman (10-04-2023), TommyV44 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:29 AM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 428 Likes on 173 Posts

Is there an industry that after everyone kept moving forward with technology that the analog version was able to hang on or is better?

I love records. But man listening to music with good headphones on something I can take anywhere beats lugging records, cassettes, or cds around.

Working in film, I remember when there was so much push back going from film stock to digital and for a long time it was founded because digital looked terrible and film looked amazing. And film still looks amazing. But 99.99% of regulate people don't care that John Wick, Gravity, or The Revenant was shot digitally (those are all beautiful movies as well).

There will always be a place for the ICE cars because they are the originals and are unique. But the future can also be fun and interesting. I'll be excited to have both and drive both.
The following 3 users liked this post by misterdega:
Fined (10-07-2023), Ja-Nein-Eleven (10-05-2023), ManoTexas (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 04:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Not me....hate the idea and I hate electric cars...just stupid....makes no sense.....Porsche has already gone down many roads I don't like so if they do this...I won't be surprised but I will be disappointed! And where the power is made and how it's made is the only point!

To each his own????
Don't know about Naples Tom but here in Sarasota not far from you it seems I see more Teslas and electric BMW's every day I get on the road. No appeal to me, especially the "sportier" models if you can even refer to any of them as sporty. First off the Teslas are ugly as sin to me and who wants a sporty like car that sounds like the wife's sewing machine or even quieter? But there may come a day where we have no choice. I expect that to be far out in the future where I'll be long gone so it's not something I'm losing sleep over.
The following users liked this post:
TommyV44 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:02 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Not me....hate the idea and I hate electric cars...just stupid....makes no sense.....Porsche has already gone down many roads I don't like so if they do this...I won't be surprised but I will be disappointed! And where the power is made and how it's made is the only point!

To each his own????
Interesting view.
I love electric cars, for they are everything the uninterested driver deserves.
Easy to use, quiet, presumably safer motoring by the strength of development in active safety systems.
Our cars, however, will become more desirable, more interesting, more beautiful and more valuable, as the rest of the driving world beiges out in a fleet of utilitarian road appliances.
TommyV44 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 07:53 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Don't know about Naples Tom but here in Sarasota not far from you it seems I see more Teslas and electric BMW's every day I get on the road. No appeal to me, especially the "sportier" models if you can even refer to any of them as sporty. First off the Teslas are ugly as sin to me and who wants a sporty like car that sounds like the wife's sewing machine or even quieter? But there may come a day where we have no choice. I expect that to be far out in the future where I'll be long gone so it's not something I'm losing sleep over.
There you go Jonas....I'm not worried either...I just consider myself so lucky when I walk into the garage and see a car I never thought I'd own! It just surprises me how many I see on the road...who TF is drivng these....I'd rather drive my old MG or Triumph that never started but when they did what fun, Anyway...old dogs and new tricks I guess...someone else can have mine! LOL! What I've found over the last few years is that there is no shortage of sheep but I'll stick with the tried and true!
Old 10-04-2023, 07:55 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLU997
Interesting view.
Easy to use, quiet, presumably safer motoring by the strength of development in active safety systems.
Our cars, however, will become more desirable, more interesting, more beautiful and more valuable, as the rest of the driving world beiges out in a fleet of utilitarian road appliances.
Made me smile! Mine seems more beautiful each time I look at her!
Old 10-04-2023, 10:52 AM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

There was an article back in July '23 but has been discussed for several years already. As long as the right people are in place at Porsche, the 911 will remain the last I.C.E Porsche.

I get the push for electric vehicles but process to mine lithium batteries is so rhetorical if you believe the "climate change" agenda. I've watched some EV cards on Good Wood and as awesome as they looked, they had 0 soul.

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/07/porsche-911-will-be-the-only-ice-powered-model-in-an-ev-focused-lineup/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/porsche-911-will-have-a-combustion-engine-for-as-long-as-possible

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/p...me-141556.html

Last edited by DesmoSD; 10-04-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:57 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

An all-electric 911 would have significantly reduced handling qualities as a result of the significantly increased weight. A hybrid 911 is a probability.
DesmoSD (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 04:52 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 296 Posts

some cars should never be electric. 911 is one of them. they should end 911 line instead.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:03 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Interesting view.
The Lucid Air Sapphire looks a bit fun… can do power slides for days.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

There you go Jonas....I'm not worried either...I just consider myself so lucky when I walk into the garage and see a car I never thought I'd own! It just surprises me how many I see on the road...who TF is drivng these....I'd rather drive my old MG or Triumph that never started but when they did what fun, Anyway...old dogs and new tricks I guess...someone else can have mine! LOL! What I've found over the last few years is that there is no shortage of sheep but I'll stick with the tried and true!
Same here. Looking at my GTS in the parking lot coming out of the grocery store or whatever never gets old and I consider myself lucky to own it. Didn't land in my lap though. Worked hard my whole life so I earned it the old fashioned way. Sounds like you earned yours the same way. Off topic, maybe you told me but I forgot you had an MG and a Triumph. Me too. Had a 1969 MGB convertible and a white Triumph TR6. Convertible too of course since that's the only way they were made.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:32 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Same here. Looking at my GTS in the parking lot coming out of the grocery store or whatever never gets old and I consider myself lucky to own it. Didn't land in my lap though. Worked hard my whole life so I earned it the old fashioned way. Sounds like you earned yours the same way. Off topic, maybe you told me but I forgot you had an MG and a Triumph. Me too. Had a 1969 MGB convertible and a white Triumph TR6. Convertible too of course since that's the only way they were made.
YUP! !974 TR-6...chocolate brown...loved that car and after that needed a valve job after 12,000 mile I traded her for a brand new 1975 MG Midget...a bright orange one! Those were the days!
I remember the MG never started in the deep winter so so many times I'd ask my stepfather to give me a push down the hill where we lived so I could pop the clutch...he'd be in his T-shirt pushing me and I'd have the door half open and yell...faster Eddie...c'mon...faster. Funny as **** as I remember! I didn't know how lucky I was but I know now!

Love me Porsche...we own the Porsche sweet spot Jonas!

Tom
Old 10-05-2023, 08:23 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't understand this massive push from the government and automakers for all electric. There is zero infrastructure to support this. Example I live in Miami there are tons of old condos and apartments with parking garages. You would have to to retrofit so many charge stations, I think it would be impossible.

Electric vehicles work when u own a home and have your own charger. Until a gas/Electric station can come up with a way to charge in let's say 2 minutes I don't see how this will ever work. Maybe in ground up apartments they are build a large number of chargeports. Leave me with my diesel truck and gas porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by ljpviper:
8x57IRS (10-06-2023), Graufuchs (10-05-2023)