Sponsored by:

Rear driver side squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:31 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Rear driver side squeak

OK... I haven't operated on the rear suspension yet but I hoped to get just an idea of what it could be.... there is a squeak the comes from the driver's side rear suspension... it not a bang or thump... it's a squeak when the wheel goes up and down with the road...... I tried pushing down on the side that makes noise but could not get it to move... leaning towards the stabilizer links.... any ideas... what is the usual weak spot of our rear suspension that squeaks... the sound is always there when the car is moving on the road.... I hope those who have experienced the same symptom can share an idea or two...
Old 10-01-2023, 12:40 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 104 Posts

Try a little water or on the stabilizer bar bushings in the very bottom and go for a ride. Hopefully its that simple
Old 10-01-2023, 08:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 867 Posts

2009 C2S 192K miles

Yea, try lubricating stuff before you start removing things. Start with some spray silicone... it won't last long but it will help you ID the offender. Do one thing at a time. First, start with the sway links and the brackets that hold the bar to the chassis. I suspect this is what it is... but you never know. Spray a ton of that crap in there... you won't hurt anything... both sides. Then go for a ride immediately. If it works, you will know pretty quickly.

If not that, then go to the top spring mounts... shoot that crap in there around the foam surrounds and such. Then start hitting the control arm mounts.

Once you find the offender, you can try using a better grease. Wait until the squeak returns... then use something that starts out as a solvent, penetrates, then set up as a sticky, high temp lubricant. I like Winzer Polylube 250... this is a miracle product. Just the best of all time. Once it sets up, it is thick and you probably will never have to reapply. Not for bearings and such due to its stickiness and thickness... but perfect for squeaks, hinges, door locks etc. The best lube I have every found... BMW and Porsche shops I frequented use it like it is holy water.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:36 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

anewman! Bruce! wise advice indeed. never heard of Winzer Polylube 250... but would thick sticky products attract dust and cause problems moving forward? one by one it is....
Old 10-01-2023, 10:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,430 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
anewman! Bruce! wise advice indeed. never heard of Winzer Polylube 250... but would thick sticky products attract dust and cause problems moving forward? one by one it is....
I did it.... no explosions... yet. If Winzer becomes a dust goo ball, I am unaware of it. It is not like regular grease it is a PTFE gell. It may, but again, it is not like regular grease. Buy a can... it has a ton of uses...then shoot some on a plate of metal and see for yourself. It works on anything... the dog, the wife, Frisbees, and yard sticks... also a breakfast syrup for the holidays.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-01-2023 at 10:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jumppiii (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:42 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

I believe you brother!! Looking already but so difficult to find... I might just by the wurth hhm2000 adhesive lubricant which I think is the same??? It's more readily available where I am...
Old 10-02-2023, 04:26 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Seems like I have found where the possible causes of the squeak ...I sprayed dishwashing solution first, to the stabilizer bushings... no change, stab link, no change. I decided to remove the rear driver wheel, sprayed solution on the bottom shock bush... no change, then finally I sprayed on the spring perches; bottom and upper! Whalah!!! Squeak disappeared... I removed the wheel again cleaned the perches with pressure washer and sprayed Gummi phlege on the upper rubber bush... and some silicone on the lower spring perch.... tested again, no more squeak... will wait for it to come back and see if it's really the spring perches.... thanks brothers!!
Old 11-24-2023, 06:48 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

just wanted to update this one... the squeaking noise was not coming from the spring perches but instead was coming from the rear shock mount... i am guessing the foam in the rear shock mounts are made of polyurethane... this material is know to squeak... I removed the rear subwoofer and when i spryed the top with some silicone squeak disappeared! It did not last though so i used the adhesive spray Bruce recommended. i used the wurth 2000 adhesive spray... No more squeaks... used the car quite a number of miles already with spirited driving every now and then... beautiful music!!
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 12:16 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
just wanted to update this one... the squeaking noise was not coming from the spring perches but instead was coming from the rear shock mount... i am guessing the foam in the rear shock mounts are made of polyurethane... this material is know to squeak... I removed the rear subwoofer and when i spryed the top with some silicone squeak disappeared! It did not last though so i used the adhesive spray Bruce recommended. i used the wurth 2000 adhesive spray... No more squeaks... used the car quite a number of miles already with spirited driving every now and then... beautiful music!!
Bruce FTW!

Quick Reply: Rear driver side squeak