Sponsored by:

Repair 997.2 LED Tail Light Assemblies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 09:42 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Repair 997.2 LED Tail Light Assemblies?

Anyone familiar or aware of a shop that will repair 997.2 LED taillight assemblies? I just drove my wife's new (to her) 997.2 S Cab home to Fort Worth from Mesa, AZ and realized during the nighttime portion of the drive that the right rear taillight is not working properly. Backup light, stop light and blinker all work just fine. It is simply the taillight that does not work. Checked fuses just in case and all good on that end. There's no reason for there to be a wire short, so I'm wondering if the taillight portion of the assembly has had an unusual failure. With new parts running upwards of $2,500+, I would really rather NOT spend that kind of money. I may be forced to buy a Uro replacement to get the car inspected and licensed for Texas, but I would like to be able to repair the taillight if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Toby
Old 10-02-2023, 09:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 868 Posts

2009 C2S 192K miles

I had a partial tail light failure.... I just unplugged the cable and shot some contact cleaner in there... and pressed the plug on real tight. For some reason, something was out of spec in the plug and I had to press it together with force.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 10-02-2023, 10:24 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 192K miles

I had a partial tail light failure.... I just unplugged the cable and shot some contact cleaner in there... and pressed the plug on real tight. For some reason, something was out of spec in the plug and I had to press it together with force.

Peace
Thanks Bruce! I can only hope that is the issue. I would hate to have to buy a new one just to pass inspection. OTOH, this *IS* my wife's weekend ride, so I do want it to be a safe and noticeable car! Thanks again.

Toby
Old 10-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Thanks Bruce! I can only hope that is the issue. I would hate to have to buy a new one just to pass inspection. OTOH, this *IS* my wife's weekend ride, so I do want it to be a safe and noticeable car! Thanks again.

Toby
BTW, all the lights are LEDs with a circuit board. The white reverse light is an old fashion bulb... It is a pain to get to that bulb so try reseating the plug first with force, then with the unit out, test it. If all works and no reverse.....

Peace
The following users liked this post:
Toby Pennycuff (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:03 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 920 Posts

I ordered a driver’s rear ULO taillight but found a set locally so I have sell ll this one $475 shipped cost me $545

Old 10-02-2023, 02:23 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

The clear lens separates from the red lens. Water gets in. Porsche designed the vent hole to be at the top of the assembly. So the entire taillight gets flooded before any water escapes. I drained over a quart of water out of mine. Then I cleaned the contacts before reseating the plugs (there's no such thing as a good connection ... unplug and plug in many many times).

I also drilled weep holes in the bottom of the cover piece.

My result? It worked for a couple months before I had to attack the connector again. It worked a while longer and then fully failed.

Nite ... Same failure as yours ... parking light wouldn't light.

I hit up Ebay and bought a new assembly from Latvia.

Lesson ... Proactively drill weep holes at the assembly bottom and add clear PPF to keep water out even after the lenses separate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
EVOMMM (10-02-2023), VT Blue (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EVOMMM
I ordered a driver’s rear ULO taillight but found a set locally so I have sell ll this one $475 shipped cost me $545

@EVOMMM Thanks for the offer. Is that the driver's side? If so, that won't work for me as I need a passenger side (right side) light. Thank you for your kind offer though!

Toby
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:48 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The clear lens separates from the red lens. Water gets in. Porsche designed the vent hole to be at the top of the assembly. So the entire taillight gets flooded before any water escapes. I drained over a quart of water out of mine. Then I cleaned the contacts before reseating the plugs (there's no such thing as a good connection ... unplug and plug in many many times).

I also drilled weep holes in the bottom of the cover piece.

My result? It worked for a couple months before I had to attack the connector again. It worked a while longer and then fully failed.

Nite ... Same failure as yours ... parking light wouldn't light.

I hit up Ebay and bought a new assembly from Latvia.

Lesson ... Proactively drill weep holes at the assembly bottom and add clear PPF to keep water out even after the lenses separate.

@Wayne Smith That's a good idea. I'll look into that once I get the car back. I'm hoping (for now anyways) that a simple unplug/connector fluid spray/re-plug will get it going so I can get a valid state inspection. Then I can deal with it in a more leisurely fashion!

Toby

Quick Reply: Repair 997.2 LED Tail Light Assemblies?