Sponsored by:

Build Thread: 997.2 C2S Sport Exhaust Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 05:29 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Build Thread: 997.2 C2S Sport Exhaust Conversion

After four months of loving my 997.2 C2S, the time has come to address the muted exhaust and unlock the genuine note of the 3.8. The car was ordered with nearly option out there, but the buyer failed to check the PSE box. As a big proponent of active tech in automotive, I’m building out a PSE retrofit with a modern twist. Now that these cars are reaching their teenage years, more of us will be looking to DIY vs. dropping the money at a dealer to install, so I thought I’d catalog the steps and costs of taking this on your own.

Goal: Improve exhaust note, maintain OEM aesthetic and active control.
Plan: OEM PSE mufflers/tips, Shark Werks crossover pipe, @SOARISTO PSE controller, OE dash switch.
Budget: <$4k all-in

Step 1: PSE Mufflers
I picked up a pair of PSE mufflers with tips off eBay for $1,600 shipped. They’re pulled from an ‘11 and were in decent shape aside from some scuffing on the bottom side of the tips. After checking the function of the pneumatic actuators, I disassembled everything in preparation for cleaning and ceramic coat. Along with the crossover, I plan to have everything done in Cerakote by Silicon Valley Cerakote. The initial quote was $500 for doing the mufflers and crossover in titanium, plus restoring the tips to their original two-tone color scheme.

Future updates:
  • Cerakote review.
  • Detailed breakdown and spreadsheet of all the tubes, fittings, and clips needed to install the pneumatic control assembly.
  • How to order the right dash switch panel based on your vehicle’s existing options.
  • Installation of @SOARISTO ‘s PSE controller.
  • Plans to incorporate a smart cloud-connected controller to automate exhaust, Sport, PASM settings based on GPS and other vehicle conditions.

Last edited by bajabluejay; 11-02-2023 at 05:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bajabluejay:
Lovejoy (11-19-2023), RABjr (11-20-2023), SOARISTO (11-06-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 06:07 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Sounds like a great project - looking forward to seeing your updates...
Old 11-03-2023, 02:56 AM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tj40
Sounds like a great project - looking forward to seeing your updates...
Appreciate it! Your spring rate spreadsheet has been a huge help while I debate keeping the PO's KW V3s or returning to SPASM...
The following users liked this post:
Tj40 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 08:34 AM
SOARISTO
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Hi @bajabluejay,

I support your plan and look forward to its completion.

I also got a set of PSE at an auction (ref. Post 1), but the dual tail pipes were damaged during shipping.

Therefore, I painted them in titanium gray and matte black with heat-resistant paint (ref. Post 2).

After that, I had a pro shop that specializes in exhaust systems fabricate a one-off straight X-pipe for my 997.2 (ref. Post 3).

About my PSE control kit is introduced here (ref. Post 4).

After this, I will send you a PM.

________
Weekdays a Businessman, Holidays a Mechanic, Sometimes a Poor Racing Driver.

Blog: www.soaristo.org/blog/
SOARER (LEXUS SC) + ARISTO (LEXUS GS) = SOARISTO
Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI quattro S-tronic MY2014

Last edited by SOARISTO; 11-06-2023 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SOARISTO:
997ajk (11-06-2023), Lovejoy (11-19-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 08:01 AM
SOARISTO
Intermediate

Hello @bajabluejay and 997 pilots!

Sorry for kept you waiting. The parcel for you is shipped.

Please look forward to the arrival of your parcel from Tokyo, Japan.

________

Old 11-11-2023, 12:25 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOARISTO
Hello @bajabluejay and 997 pilots!

Sorry for kept you waiting. The parcel for you is shipped.

Please look forward to the arrival of your parcel from Tokyo, Japan.
Thank you, Soaristo-san! I look forward to installing in December when all parts are ready.
SOARISTO (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 12:59 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Step 2: Selecting the Right Combined Switch to Add PSE
So, let's say you're building a PSE system and you need to decide which combined switch to order that will add the PSE button.

I've built this tool to decode the combined switch based on your existing options, then just add option 'I176' to find your new switch!

997-613-XXX-01-A05 Decoder

The result for me was 997-613-563-01-A05 - absolutely stacked on the button front.

SOARISTO (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 01:32 PM
pro1200
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Baja- A muted exhaust note is the only complaint I have with my new to me '12 Carrera GTS. I can't hear much difference in the sound with the PSE activated. I believe the valves are working as it's louder at an idle. I came from a '07 C2S with the M97 engine and it sounded more like a flat six should. I've thought about modifying the system but I wonder if the 9A1 engine can be adequately modified due to the architecture of the engine.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:38 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pro1200
Baja- A muted exhaust note is the only complaint I have with my new to me '12 Carrera GTS. I can't hear much difference in the sound with the PSE activated. I believe the valves are working as it's louder at an idle. I came from a '07 C2S with the M97 engine and it sounded more like a flat six should. I've thought about modifying the system but I wonder if the 9A1 engine can be adequately modified due to the architecture of the engine.
Good feedback! I'm hoping the PSE + Sharkwerks hits the right balance for me - that at least should be a big improvement over the standard exhaust I have now. Though I am sure some of the other aftermarket systems like Fabspeed could deliver more punch, an enhanced OE sound is my goal.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:53 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Coating update! Received these previews from Silicon Valley Cerakote.
Tips look great in satin mag and matte black.
The PSE mufflers and @sharkster crossover are finished in what Cerakote calls 'piston coat', named for it low thermal emissivity properties meant to keep heat in via the ceramic coating barrier. So while looking great, it's also helping to keep engine room temps down too.
The bronze-titanium color should play nicely poking out from the Atlas Grey. Picking up after the holiday and with all parts now in-hand, I should be getting to the install early December.

The following 3 users liked this post by bajabluejay:
Lovejoy (11-19-2023), pro1200 (11-19-2023), SOARISTO (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:12 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabluejay
Step 2: Selecting the Right Combined Switch to Add PSE
So, let's say you're building a PSE system and you need to decide which combined switch to order that will add the PSE button.

I've built this tool to decode the combined switch based on your existing options, then just add option 'I176' to find your new switch!

997-613-XXX-01-A05 Decoder

The result for me was 997-613-563-01-A05 - absolutely stacked on the button front.

How will you wire the switch? I have a switch plate for my car but could never find the tiny connectors needed to connect to the two pins on the back of the plate.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:50 AM
SOARISTO
Intermediate

Default PSE Connectors

Originally Posted by Chris M.
How will you wire the switch? I have a switch plate for my car but could never find the tiny connectors needed to connect to the two pins on the back of the plate.

Do you mean this red connector?

Or this black connector?

Nor these connector contact pins?

This is its circuit diagram.

________

Last edited by SOARISTO; 11-19-2023 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:13 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I have the black connector already but it only has wires for the options I currently have. I would need the correct connector pins to add to two more wires to my existing black connector to power the exhaust button on my new switch plate.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:14 AM
SOARISTO
Intermediate

Default Two Points to Note

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I have the black connector already but it only has wires for the options I currently have. I would need the correct connector pins to add to two more wires to my existing black connector to power the exhaust button on my new switch plate.
Before I tell you about the contact pins for the black connector, there are two points to note.

1) Point of the Power Capacity
  • The power line connected to the "Combined Switch Module (CSM)" is provided for operating small power signal lines such as various switches and illuminations.
  • While, the "Electro-Magnetic Valve (EMV)" requires a lot of power to operate. When the EMV is activated, 1A or more current flows momentarily (called Impulse Current).
  • The power signal lines connected to the CSM does not have enough power capacity to operate the EMV. And, not only does it not have enough power capacity, but it can also damage the circuits connected to other switches.
  • To get around this, the PSE Control Unit provides a other power supply from the battery, and it uses a Power MOSFET for operating the EMV.

2) Point of the Switch Operation
  • The switches embedded in the CSM are called "Momentary Switch". It is different from "Toggle Switch" that you generally imagine.
  • In a "Momentary Switch", it allows current to flow only the moment when the switch is pressed.
  • While, in a "Toggle Switch", when it is turned on, the current continues to flow, and when it is turned off, the current is cut off.
  • In order to operate a "Momentary Switch" like a "Toggle Switch" (press once to turn on, press again to turn off), an external control circuit is required. This is called "Alternate Switching Operation".
  • To achieve this, the PSE Control Unit uses a microcomputer to monitor the status of the momentary switch embedded in the CSM and to perform the alternate switching operation.
    (And it also has the Fail-Safe function for protecting your lovery car.)

To make the "Momentary Switch" work properly, a certain amount of electrical and electronic engineering knowledge is required. It's not a simple "Toggle Switch".

________

Last edited by SOARISTO; 11-21-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Chris M. (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SOARISTO
Before I tell you about the contact pins for the black connector, there are two points to note.

1) Point of the Power Capacity
  • The power line connected to the "Combined Switch Module (CSM)" is provided for operating small power signal lines such as various switches and illuminations.
  • While, the "electromagnetic valve (EV)" requires a lot of power to operate. When the EV is activated, 1A or more current flows momentarily (called impulse current).
  • The power signal lines connected to the CSM does not have enough power capacity to operate the EV. And, not only does it not have enough power capacity, but it can also damage the circuits connected to other switches.
  • To get around this, my PSE Control Unit provides a other power supply for the EV, and it uses a Power MOSFET for operating the EV.

2) Point of the Switch Operation
  • The switches embedded in the CSM are called "Momentary Switch". It is different from "Toggle Switch" that you generally imagine.
  • A "Momentary Switch" allows current to flow only the moment when the switch is pressed.
  • While, in a "Toggle Switch", when it is turned on, the current continues to flow, and when the it is turned off, the current is cut off.
  • In order to operate a "Momentary Switch" like a "Toggle Switch" (press once to turn on, press again to turn off), an external control circuit is required. This is called "Alternate Swiching Operation".
  • To achieve this, my PSE Control Unit uses a microcomputer to monitor the status of the momentary switch embedded in the CSM and to perform the alternate switching operation.
    (And it also has the Fail-Safe function for protecting your lovery car.)

To make the switch work properly, a certain amount of electrical and electronic engineering knowledge is required. It's not a simple "Toggle Switch".

________

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 997.2 C2S Sport Exhaust Conversion