Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Driver Side Taillight issue (OEM)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 04:59 PM
PetrolNerd
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.1 Driver Side Taillight issue (OEM)

Hey all,

My 2006 4s with OEM taillights is having an issue where the driver side taillight will not light up with the lights on, the brake light, reverse lights, and turn signals work fine. I have swapped the assemblies, and the same result is given from the passenger assembly on the driver side. The passenger side is working as intended. I attempted to purchase another wiring assembly for the driver side but this did not solve the issue (It was worth a shot, oh well) I've also checked every fuse as well.

It seems I've narrowed this down to the Light switch in the cabin, as well as the rear taillight module under the seat. However, I am not sure from these symptoms which would be the appropriate fix. Additionally, I am having issues finding the taillight module part number to find a replacement should that be the case, if anyone has insights into this I would be greatly appreciative.

Last edited by PetrolNerd; 11-07-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:12 AM
alhutch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tested output on the car side of the tail light wiring plug? Is the parking light pin live or not? If not, I'd start tracing from there back into the car as my next troubleshooting step.

Last edited by alhutch; 11-08-2023 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PetrolNerd
Hey all,

My 2006 4s with OEM taillights is having an issue where the driver side taillight will not light up with the lights on, the brake light, reverse lights, and turn signals work fine. I have swapped the assemblies, and the same result is given from the passenger assembly on the driver side. The passenger side is working as intended. I attempted to purchase another wiring assembly for the driver side but this did not solve the issue (It was worth a shot, oh well) I've also checked every fuse as well.

It seems I've narrowed this down to the Light switch in the cabin, as well as the rear taillight module under the seat. However, I am not sure from these symptoms which would be the appropriate fix. Additionally, I am having issues finding the taillight module part number to find a replacement should that be the case, if anyone has insights into this I would be greatly appreciative.
@PetrolNerd this exact scenario happened to me on my 2009 997.2 S Cab. Turns out that the Rear Body Control Unit (under the driver's seat in the 997.2) had to be replaced. If the 997.1 is similar to the .2, you should be able to look it up in PET on the Control Unit pages under Main Group 9 - Electrics. For my 997.2, the Rear End Control Unit part number is 997-618-260-08. It's easily accessible once you remove the driver's seat. In my case, it appears that the control unit might have gotten damp as corrosion was found on some of the output pins. Why Porsche chose to put control units on the floor of a cabriolet is beyond me!

Quick Reply: 997.1 Driver Side Taillight issue (OEM)