997 winter setup - Michelin PA4 vs. DWS/PS4 Allseason

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 06:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 997 winter setup - Michelin PA4 vs. DWS/PS4 Allseason

Hi all,

I've had an 18" set of winter wheels for my 997 C4S for years now, with Michelin PA3 Winter tires on them in 235/40R18 & 265/40R18 sizes.

The PA3 tires are waaayyy too old now to use this season, so replacing them... BUT, I am unable to find PA3, and even PA4 is only available at very few places for my sizes (nothing at Tire Rack), and prices are high. So, I thought, should I just get an all-season instead?

I work from home and live in Vancouver, so it mostly rains and I don't really plan to drive in snow as we have an SUV, but it's always good to have one just in case I have to drive in snow. Getting an all-season would save me $400+... so, is it worth getting the PA4 winters (last remaining stocks)? or shall I just get an all-season and be done with it.

Thanks!

Last edited by alexb76; 11-13-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:45 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hi all,

I've had an 18" set of winter wheels for my 997 C4S for years now, with Michelin PA3 Winter tires on them in 235/40R18 & 265/40R18 sizes.

The PA3 tires are waaayyy too old now to use this season, so replacing them... BUT, I am unable to find PA3, and even PA4 is only available at very few places for my sizes (nothing at Tire Rack), and prices are high. So, I thought, should I just get an all-season instead?

I work from home and live in Vancouver, so it mostly rains and I don't really plan to drive in snow as we have an SUV, but it's always good to have one just in case I have to drive in snow. Getting an all-season would save me $400+... so, is it worth getting the PA4 winters (last remaining stocks)? or shall I just get an all-season and be done with it.

Thanks!
Hi. I'm in a similar situation. I don't drive my C4S in the snow, but want to be able to drive it in the cold. We have a Macan (with all season tires) for snow days. I had Sottozero on my 911 the last 6 years, so it was time to swap them out (due to age, not mileage). I just mounted Toyo Proxes all-seasons this weekend because I feel that snows are overkill for my situation and Toyo was the only A/S option for my sizes. I feel bad driving on snows when I get an unseasonably warm day in the winter, so all-seasons would let me drive all winter. I think A/S should be fine for just cold weather driving, but this winter will be my first test! By the way, I couldn't find the all seasons in my sizes on Tire Rack, but found some on Discount Tire Direct, so that's another place you could check. There are more tire options in 18" I think. Mine are 19" and the selection is very limited. My husband put the 20" Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons on his 718 GTS 4.0 last winter and likes those tires. I wanted those but since they weren't available for my sizes, I went with the Toyo.

The following users liked this post:
alexb76 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 07:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
Hi. I'm in a similar situation. I don't drive my C4S in the snow, but want to be able to drive it in the cold. We have a Macan (with all season tires) for snow days. I had Sottozero on my 911 the last 6 years, so it was time to swap them out (due to age, not mileage). I just mounted Toyo Proxes all-seasons this weekend because I feel that snows are overkill for my situation and Toyo was the only A/S option for my sizes. I feel bad driving on snows when I get an unseasonably warm day in the winter, so all-seasons would let me drive all winter. I think A/S should be fine for just cold weather driving, but this winter will be my first test! By the way, I couldn't find the all seasons in my sizes on Tire Rack, but found some on Discount Tire Direct, so that's another place you could check. There are more tire options in 18" I think. Mine are 19" and the selection is very limited. My husband put the 20" Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons on his 718 GTS 4.0 last winter and likes those tires. I wanted those but since they weren't available for my sizes, I went with the Toyo.
Thanks, the PA4 was at Discount Tire, and a cpl of other places, but Tire Rack has All season options for me. I might go that route, as you said, I will lose snow traction which maybe 2-3 days, while gaining all around performance for the rest of the season.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:49 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 917 Posts

I’m about to install Michelin A/S4 for fall/winter driving on my TTS but to be honest it’s all I need
my 996 uses continental DWS and I drive that until about 3in of snowfall lots of fun
and then my 4Runner with blizzaks takes over and conquers all
Old 11-14-2023, 07:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

The DWS06+ is superb for an all season tire but it's really designed to be installed before winter when the tread depth is deep and all three letters D W S are visible in the tread. Once the S is worn away, they're only supposed to be used is the Dry and Wet. Once the Wins worn away they should only be used in the Dry.

Depending on how many winter miles you drive, you may wear rheiuh the S in one season, but then you'd put your summer wheels with summer performance tires back on and not sure what you'd do with the rest of the tread in the DWS tires as they wint be great for another winter.

If you have dedicated winter and summer wheels, best performance in both seasons is achieved by using dedicated snows in the winter and extreme summer performance tires in the summer.

With a single set of wheels used year round, the DWS is a great choice when mounted just before the cold weather arrives and used for the next year.

I have DWS06+ tires on my daughter's Audi Q5, my Mom's Infiniti FX45, and had them on my daughter's previous BMW X5 that the Audi replaced. They're my favorite all season tire for peace of mind in whatever weather conditions get thrown at you.

Old 11-14-2023, 12:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
The DWS06+ is superb for an all season tire but it's really designed to be installed before winter when the tread depth is deep and all three letters D W S are visible in the tread. Once the S is worn away, they're only supposed to be used is the Dry and Wet. Once the Wins worn away they should only be used in the Dry.

Depending on how many winter miles you drive, you may wear rheiuh the S in one season, but then you'd put your summer wheels with summer performance tires back on and not sure what you'd do with the rest of the tread in the DWS tires as they wint be great for another winter.

If you have dedicated winter and summer wheels, best performance in both seasons is achieved by using dedicated snows in the winter and extreme summer performance tires in the summer.

With a single set of wheels used year round, the DWS is a great choice when mounted just before the cold weather arrives and used for the next year.

I have DWS06+ tires on my daughter's Audi Q5, my Mom's Infiniti FX45, and had them on my daughter's previous BMW X5 that the Audi replaced. They're my favorite all season tire for peace of mind in whatever weather conditions get thrown at you.
Thanks. It would very low miles. In total I do 5K a year, winter probably 2K.

My summer tires are on a different set of wheels.

Last edited by alexb76; 11-14-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:05 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

I think an all season would work well in the lower mainland. Min requirements are 'M+S' rating to travel outside the area . . .

Would I do the Connector on all seasons, probably not.

Check out having them installed in Bellingham, I would've saved 30% after exchange!
alexb76 (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:32 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I recently switched from Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 and I’m extremely pleased with the results. I don’t feel as if I’ve lost anything in the handling department, and I can now enjoy my 997.2 an additional three or four months a year. If it snows, I’ve got an SUV. Mike
EVOMMM (11-15-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 05:31 PM
NoWANG
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Thanks!
Im in the PNW as well. Im on DWS06 currently install on my 4s last month and have a set of Sottozero as a back up plan incase the snow hits. I'll keep you posted on how it goes..

Quick Reply: 997 winter setup - Michelin PA4 vs. DWS/PS4 Allseason