997.1 Piston Slap and the heartbreaking decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 04:12 PM
Jsol
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997.1 Piston Slap and the heartbreaking decision

Hello!
I'm just picking up my jaw off the floor after my 997.1 C4S with 52k miles got diagnosed with bore scoring. I'm weighing all the pros and cons of keeping, rebuilding, selling, trading etc.
1. What are some of the factors everyone considered when making your decision?
2. Hartech, Slakker seem like high-quality shops, anyone else I'm missing that doesn't have a year backlog?

Thanks for any words of encouragement!

The following users liked this post:
SlakkerRacingDev (12-01-2023)

Popular Reply

12-03-2023, 01:47 PM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

I am 75 and very retired. Building these 997.1 engines has become my hobby. I do eventually sell some of them. I'm not really trying to make a profit.
I have a 40 by 60 heated barn with a lift and all tools required up here in Maine. I have quite a group of Porsche owners and currently we have a 2006 Cayman with a spun bearing all apart and a 1977 ROW Carrera 3.0 completely torn down.
Living my dream.
I'm not interested in taking on a rebuild for a customer, I much prefer having the owners do the work with me coaching and assisting.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:45 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 351 Likes on 232 Posts

Was the diagnosis done with a scope? If so post pics and more symptoms. If minor may be able to change oils and monitor with oil analysis. If severe, aka per groovzilla looks like a one lane street with a sidewalk, may be time to look into replacement.

No input on replacement as outside my area.

Best of luck.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:50 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 105 Posts

What other symptoms do you have? Did it spend its whole life in the northeast and was driven in the winter time?
Would you consider rebuilding the engine yourself?
Old 12-01-2023, 09:07 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

Hm, you gotta wrench, don't you?
Old 12-01-2023, 10:40 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

First, I would look into a 4.0 build and see if I have the stomach for the wait for a good one and the cost.
Second, I would consider if I were in this situation is an Audi 2.7 swap (https://www.renn27.com/).
I would then put the motor on a stand and either rebuild it, or just look at it until I figured out exactly what I wanted to do.
At this point, people have done K turbo swaps to LS swaps. I love the idea of the 2.7 but I would also consider weirdo stuff like if I could get my hands on the 718 4cyl. turbo motor, which would rip.
I would also consider an EV conversion if I could get a motor with an acceptable range but IDK. My wife has an EV and it is decent to drive around but they do not excite me in any way.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:36 AM
digs
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

So the scoring has been identified . What other symptoms are present ? Possibly just run it and be aware of any changes ? May not be the end of anything , other than a little compression ?
Too bad to have to deal with it .
Old 12-02-2023, 09:14 AM
spessx
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsol
Hello!
I'm just picking up my jaw off the floor after my 997.1 C4S with 52k miles got diagnosed with bore scoring. I'm weighing all the pros and cons of keeping, rebuilding, selling, trading etc.
2. Hartech, Slakker seem like high-quality shops, anyone else I'm missing that doesn't have a year backlog?

What are the symptoms and how bad are they? Is the piston actively clacking and making sounds when the engine is running? If so, probably time for a rebuild.

I wouldn’t hesitate to call Brandon at Slakker. I talked with him multiple times during my search for a 997. He provided feedback on borescopes for cars that I was evaluating and his general philosophy on scoring and rebuilds. He’s not sales-y and if the symptoms aren’t bad (light scoring, no noises or oil consumption) might just council you to switch oils, change thermostat, check for vacuum leaks and clean the injectors - and keep driving until the car needs a rebuild.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:40 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 284 Posts

How long have you owned the car and how much do you have into it at this point ,and, is it a manual?. A reputable rebuild to 4.0 could make sense as you may get your money back in a number of years as these 997 cars , I believe, will hold their value given the current state of affairs in terms of EV's, analogness, etc,
Slakker definitely sounds like a good choice; you could also look into Deman racing in NY which may not be far from you.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

2009 C2S 193K miles

Bummer... as you already know, there are tons of digital ink spilled on this issue here... ya gotta dig around. I suspect you are pretty bummed right now.

I had two engines fail in my 2000 Boxster S, the first was replaced under warranty, the other killed the car as I thought the economics were out of wack and didn't justify the spend. If it were me, I would make the decision you face primarily a financial one first, then temper it with convenience. The latter first: If you rebuild/repair/replace the engine, you will be without a sports car for that time period... does this matter to you? For me, it would and I would look at ditching the car quickly (ethically).

For the former, to me, it is simple math. What can I get for it as a roller (I got about $3,300 IIRC for my dead Boxster with 197K miles on the chassis)? Cost to replace the engine at that time was around $23K-$25K for either a Porsche replacement or a Jake Raby rebuild. Then I compared that to buying both the same Boxster with low mileage and a new used other type of car. Well, there was no way I was going to buy another car with that same engine architecture unless all issues were remedied such as with a Raby rebuild.

I found my 2009 C2S with circa 25K miles on it for $53K at the time. For me, a no brainer... I dumped the carcass and purchased a newer car that would last me another 10-20 years. I use my cars and keep them a long time so future utility is important to me. Did I want an old car with a new engine out into the long-future, or a newer car out into the long-future? Keep in mind the economics of this was a long time ago so all numbers require updating.

Notice I used a disparaging word to describe my damaged car... a carcass. Yes, I had to look at it with a cold-steely eye. Emotions make for bad decisions.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-02-2023 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kechu (12-06-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:55 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 641 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
... an Audi 2.7 swap (https://www.renn27.com/).
I may be biased, but it would be an absolute cold day in Hell before I put any Audi engine in my Porsche. My experience with Audi has been more like a 3 than a 10.
The following 2 users liked this post by yelcab:
Kineticdg (12-03-2023), sierra73 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 01:12 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,129 Likes on 429 Posts

I would contact Slakker/Hartech and see what your options are. Get some pricing and make a decision.

If you are already experiencing piston slap, its at the end of the road, don't drive the car until repairs are done. If you do not yet have piston slap, FR50 Driven oil with shorter change intervals (3K miles).

If you do decide to sell, shoot me a PM, I may be interested.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 12-02-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsol
Hello!

If you are in CT, I would give Speedsport in Danbury or EPS in Watertown a call. I just had an engine rebuilt by EPS and the experience and quality was great.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
BillB128 (12-02-2023), Graufuchs (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 06:12 PM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

I would be interested in your car if you decide to sell it. I have been to Jake's class and have built 3 engines doing the nickies liners, Mahle pistons,Hoffman heads, IMS Solution etc.
I am planning to be in CT next weekend.
Please contact me at: stuhpps@hotmail.com
Old 12-02-2023, 06:27 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,454 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Whats the going rate for a roller? I figured 13K?

Old 12-03-2023, 09:56 AM
stunistu
Rennlist Member

$13K would be a very good deal. I would go to $17K for an "S" ( I want the bigger intake and exhaust). At that price it would need to be a coupe, manual, no Winters, and decent condition. I just finished a 4.0 conversion, unbelieveable.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Piston Slap and the heartbreaking decision