Sponsored by:

Tesla Truck beats a Porsche 911 while towing a 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 03:58 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by digs
How's the classic collector market looking for Tesla ? Are the cars holding value well as they age ?
My guess is electric cars holding their values about as well as an iPhone or Samsung galaxy does. Anyone want to buy an old x486 computer? Same thing….
The following 2 users liked this post by dixonk:
DesmoSD (12-15-2023), Fined (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 04:02 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 761 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
My guess is electric cars holding their values about as well as an iPhone or Samsung galaxy does. Anyone want to buy an old x486 computer? Same thing….
Luxury sedans always take a beating.

2012 Tesla Model S models are still fetching $20k-$30k in my area.

2012 BMW 750Li’s are fetching $9k-$18k

2012 Mercedes E500’s are fetching $12k-$18k.
The following users liked this post:
Tuttebenne (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 07:46 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wait until that battery is 5 years old, the range has dropped by 30%, and they need to be replaced to the tune of what the whole car is worth, making it essentially disposable.
True that. Panamera hybrid owners finding that out. Battery replacement after 7-9 yrs appears to be 15-20k. I’m still interested in Lucid, supposedly P interior quality with true long range miles charge. Any Lucid owners here?
Old 12-15-2023, 08:12 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Doesn't surprise me, because Ford dealers were marking them up like crazy.
regarding the F150 Lightning (EV F150 pickup truck ), another thing Ford forgot to mention was that they raised the base price from $40,000 to $50,000.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

If the Tesla was pushing the 911, then at least one 911 would have come in first.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:22 AM
Tuttebenne
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the partisanship and all the panties getting twisted up. But I also understand that 125 years ago there was a lot of opposition to gas powered vehicles. People complained of noise, smoke, availability of gas, and (for those who think batteries are expensive) the cost of finding someone who could actually fix a gas engine at the time. We can stand in the road or we can embrace change. Its a choice. But holding on to the notion that someone will be around in 30 years to repair the engine management computers in your ST or Sport Classic is probably an indication you are breathing too much exhaust.

Last edited by Tuttebenne; 12-16-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:52 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuttebenne
I understand the partisanship and all the panties getting twisted up. But I also understand that 125 years ago there was a lot of opposition to gas powered vehicles. People complained of noise, smoke, availability of gas, and (for those who think batteries are expensive) the cost of finding someone who could actually fix a gas engine at the time. We can stand in the road or we can embrace change. Its a choice. But holding on to the notion that someone will be around in 30 years to repair the engine management computers in your ST or Sport Classic is probably an indication you are breathing too much exhaust.
That's why there is Porsche classic services. That's why companies exist that repair electrical components for classic cars (Everything from AMPs to DMEs).

If there is a demand for repairs, there will be services offered. Every single 911 generation has support, factory and aftermarket.

Hydrogen technology paired with synthetic fuels will keep ICE cars on the road for the long-term without the environmental impacts that E/Vs cause.

E/Vs are not the answer (With current infrastructure & technology), govt subsidies for technology NOT up to par is not the answer. Unfortunately this is a partisan topic due to Govt involvement.

Since this isnt the Off Topic section we skirt around "political aspect of this topic". Lets try and keep it that way here.

Change is not always necessarily good or for the benefit of general mankind.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
That's why there is Porsche classic services. That's why companies exist that repair electrical components for classic cars (Everything from AMPs to DMEs).

If there is a demand for repairs, there will be services offered. Every single 911 generation has support, factory and aftermarket.

Hydrogen technology paired with synthetic fuels will keep ICE cars on the road for the long-term without the environmental impacts that E/Vs cause.

E/Vs are not the answer (With current infrastructure & technology), govt subsidies for technology NOT up to par is not the answer. Unfortunately this is a partisan topic due to Govt involvement.

Since this isnt the Off Topic section we skirt around "political aspect of this topic". Lets try and keep it that way here.

Change is not always necessarily good or for the benefit of general mankind.
Well, it has to start somewhere and I do not expect any transition, be it electric or alternative fuel, to be seamless.

I am not about to give up my GT car for an EV, but today's Tycan is still an impressive car, despite its so called limitations. That's not a bad start for any revolution in the transportation industry. I could easily do 99.9% of my driving needs with something like that and overnight charging in my garage.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,188 Likes on 3,945 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Well, it has to start somewhere and I do not expect any transition, be it electric or alternative fuel, to be seamless.

I am not about to give up my GT car for an EV, but today's Tycan is still an impressive car, despite its so called limitations. That's not a bad start for any revolution in the transportation industry. I could easily do 99.9% of my driving needs with something like that and overnight charging in my garage.
If you're allowed to charge it overnight in your garage. CA has already had charging hour restrictions that occured at night, and this is with maybe 10% of the cars being EVs, if that.

How do you get to work when you only own an EV and can't charge it at night? Then the argument is that you increase and improve the power grid to create enough electricity to support all the EV charging - what t technology is used to quintuple the available electricity that's available now - not going to be done by wind or solar....so is it nuclear, coal, hydrogen, ans what environmental effect does that have in order fornisnto be able to transition to electric cars?

It's a forced transition that doesn't need to occur based on how clean burning new ICE are and how many untapped petroleum resources there are.
​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
ADias (12-18-2023), Graufuchs (12-16-2023), Sporty (12-16-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 04:08 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 426 Posts

California:

#1 in E/V Purchases: https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/5...les-1188694/5/

4% of vehicles on the road are E/Vs - https://evstatistics.com/2022/09/4-o...ornia-are-evs/

2nd most expensive state per kw hour - https://www.chooseenergy.com/electri...ates-by-state/

Highest number of Electrical Outages - https://paylesspower.com/blog/the-mo...power-outages/

Just the facts.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
ADias (12-18-2023), Petza914 (12-18-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 05:35 PM
Tuttebenne
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charging and the infrastructure are two big issues for EVs whether sedan or cybertruck. But we fail to acknowledge that over three short years, a huge percentage of the workforce has migrated to working from home at least one day a week. I know that my former employer, a dyed in the wool Japanese autocracy would never allow people to work from home. Now, post Covid, everyone there but VPs work from home three days a week and they are considering five days a week. The concept of "commuting" is changing. It will never go away but commuting five days a week as we have known it, is, for a lot of people, history.

As for the Cybertruck/Porsche race, would you say they ran an 1/8th mile?
Old 12-18-2023, 11:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuttebenne
Charging and the infrastructure are two big issues for EVs whether sedan or cybertruck. But we fail to acknowledge that over three short years, a huge percentage of the workforce has migrated to working from home at least one day a week. I know that my former employer, a dyed in the wool Japanese autocracy would never allow people to work from home. Now, post Covid, everyone there but VPs work from home three days a week and they are considering five days a week. The concept of "commuting" is changing. It will never go away but commuting five days a week as we have known it, is, for a lot of people, history.

As for the Cybertruck/Porsche race, would you say they ran an 1/8th mile?
Maybe the one benefit from Covid was how accepted Teams & Zoom meetings have now become. As someone who travelled for work the 20 years prior, being able to cut that in half or better since covid with virtual meetings has been fanstastic.

But some employers aren't fully embracing the "work from home" or flexible work schedule programs - amazon being one of them - https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/17/amaz...ays%20a%20week.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:49 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

That was about 1/8th mile. The reason is that a 1/4 mile run would show the 911 catching up and passing the truck. In general, EVs can be very quick at 0-60 but then then the power falls off as the revs of the electric motor increase e.g. highway speeds. The Taycan and Audi e-tron GT both have 2 peed transmissions ( very unusual in EVs) to improve highway performance at the expense of some efficiency.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:28 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Pete, I agree somewhat. Spent 25 yrs on road 42+ weeks/yr. Now remote 99%. Agree it’s fantastic but couple downsides. Wife doesn’t like me being home. I don’t get the 46 miles each way to airport in car with top down. Drive maybe once a week and spend most of my 911 time gazing and telling her how much I love her.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Pete, I agree somewhat. Spent 25 yrs on road 42+ weeks/yr. Now remote 99%. Agree it’s fantastic but couple downsides. Wife doesn’t like me being home. I don’t get the 46 miles each way to airport in car with top down. Drive maybe once a week and spend most of my 911 time gazing and telling her how much I love her.
LOL

With the exhaust you have, once a week is unacceptable.... you're depriving the world of glorious sound.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (12-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Tesla Truck beats a Porsche 911 while towing a 911