Sponsored by:

997.1 C2 - let's talk exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 12:21 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 997.1 C2 - let's talk exhausts

Apologies in advance as I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but I'm new to the Porsche world and their exhausts are nothing like the front engine cars I've had until now, and I haven't found any thread specific to my case.

This week I've watched tons of exhaust videos, checked a lot of fabricators and I am still undecided. I understand that YT videos don't do these exhausts justice, but it's the closest thing I've got. I also live in Europe, so getting some brands shipped here (such as Fabspeed) is really expensive.

I have a 997.1 Carrera (no PSE) with a rusty stock exhaust, so I planned to replace everything down the road (see this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...at-to-fix.html)

Living in Europe also means that I would need an exhaust with TÜV approval or something similar. It also needs to pass emissions, so sadly no de-cat.

The sounds I've liked more are the ones from these videos:

I don't need it to be valved as long as it sounds good and there's no drone.

From those two videos, I think I could get:

- Equal length headers (no need to get the X51 as these should flow better, right?)
- 200 cell cat pipes (doubting on x-pipe or crossover)
- What about the mufflers? Do you think my OEM ones can be saved? If not, do I need sport mufflers (are they different to the stock ones?) I understand Fister/Gundo modify these but still, not sure if I'd be able to get the sound I want from the stock ones or I need the S / sport mufflers

I don't want to lose the flat six sound. I've heard Cargraphic, FVD, Fabspeed, Tubi... these all sound good in their own way, but still, the sound from that Fister video (the cold start one) is intoxicating to me. I'm happy to mix and match the parts I need to get it, and I am open to all options.
The following 2 users liked this post by smrpr:
carguy999 (01-31-2024), Graufuchs (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 05:00 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 432 Posts

I like the Fister exhaust myself for a Non-PSE car.

Since you are in the EU, maybe pick up a used exhaust from an S model, have the cross-over pipe welded and have the exhaust ceramic coated? With the S exhaust you will be able to run S exhaust tips.

Appearance wise its a stock muffler which would be TUV certified.

That's what I did on my 3.6L. Super happy with the unmistakable flat 6 sound, as its similar to my PSE (disconnected) equipped 3.8L.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
I like the Fister exhaust myself for a Non-PSE car.
Since you are in the EU, maybe pick up a used exhaust from an S model, have the cross-over pipe welded and have the exhaust ceramic coated? With the S exhaust you will be able to run S exhaust tips.
Appearance wise its a stock muffler which would be TUV certified.
That's what I did on my 3.6L. Super happy with the unmistakable flat 6 sound, as its similar to my PSE (disconnected) equipped 3.8L.
Yes, I'm leaning towards this option more and more. Mufflers that look stock and won't raise any eyebrows at the inspection, a good set of headers and smaller cats.

Couple of questions: Do the S exhausts have a different diameter than the regular ones? As in, should I be getting S "parts" for the headers and/or crossover pipes? Are the muffler supports different from the regular ones or I can reuse mine?

And given I'll be getting equal length headers, should I go x-pipe or crossover? I've read all sorts of opinions in here. I kinda like the looks of the x-pipe, but I'd rather have more performance. Does going one option or another change the sound?
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 06:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

the fisters are really quiet compared to what else I hear in my neighborhood (in the video above). I never cringe to start it at home or at work and it does not pique the interests of cops, which in CA is KEY.
oh, also, from being around PSEs back to back and side by side at the same time with my car, the sound is undiscernable to me between the fisters vs. PSE.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:43 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by smrpr
Yes, I'm leaning towards this option more and more. Mufflers that look stock and won't raise any eyebrows at the inspection, a good set of headers and smaller cats.

Couple of questions: Do the S exhausts have a different diameter than the regular ones? As in, should I be getting S "parts" for the headers and/or crossover pipes? Are the muffler supports different from the regular ones or I can reuse mine?

And given I'll be getting equal length headers, should I go x-pipe or crossover? I've read all sorts of opinions in here. I kinda like the looks of the x-pipe, but I'd rather have more performance. Does going one option or another change the sound?
Mufflers - Same Inlet Diameter (S & Base)
Muffler Exits (Tips) - Different Diameters (S is larger than Base)
Headers - Same Part # (S & base)
Catalytic Converter - Same part# (S & Base)

I apologize, I meant the cross-over for the muffler ( IE FisterD/Gundo hack).

No traditional X-pipe or cross-over as they are for the 997.2.

smrpr (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:34 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

here is a totally unhelpful In-Car.

My wife doesn't know how to use my cupholders, so don't flame me you monsters.

This is with the BMC filter/IPD plenum/GT3TB/Fisters/X51 Headers...

This is unhelpful because the IPD/GT3TB SCREAM over 5k RPM and also in different situations the exhaust sounds really raunchy...but here it is pretty chill.

Last edited by jamesinger; 01-31-2024 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:43 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Not unhelpful at all since I plan on doing the same IPD Plenum + GT3 throttle body at some point too

Apart from the exit pipes diameter, do you guys know if there's a difference between the Carrera and Carrera S mufflers? Where I live they're asking around $150 for the pair of standard Carrera ones and around $1200 for the Carrera S ones. I don't mind using my current tips (only 1 exit) if the muffler insides are the same than the S and doing the Fister mod will result in the same sound. I'd rather save some $$ on this!

Last edited by smrpr; 01-31-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:15 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

There is a difference between the 2 mufflers but IDK what it is.
https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/categories/9971
Darrin actually delineates between C2 and C2S mufflers.

Last edited by jamesinger; 01-31-2024 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Yes, equal length long tube headers are better than X51 versions.

The Fister muffler is essentially the same design as an OEM PSE muffler but without the valves.

200 cell cats should prevent any CELs or emissions issues.

For a TUB approved system you're probably going to have to go with the big names and maybe those in Europe like cargraphic or FVD, both of which make good systems. FVD quality is superb.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:20 AM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I was very happy with the cross over cat pipes from these guys in the UK.
they might do tuv certification, just ask

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...alved-cat-back
Old 02-03-2024, 12:36 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Fister or factory PSE.

You are severely overpaying with most of the other aftermarket options IMO (and that’s why there are so many of these companies). Akrapovic, Europipe are exceptions. But they don’t make systems for 997.1 Carrera sadly.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:03 AM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

In Europe, just drive to Carnewal and leave with a smile on your face.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:25 AM
smrpr
Instructor

I acquired an OEM standard pair of mufflers, as my understanding is that on the inside they are exactly the same as the Sport ones but with a smaller outlet. I will mod these with the bypass and then get a set of equal length headers and some 200-cell cats from Topgear in the UK, which seem to be a good value:

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...-200-cell-cats
https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-91...rera-manifolds

Graufuchs (02-05-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:50 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Bumping this thread because I think I'm ready to order. Been looking at headers and although the Soul Performance ones look really good, I can't justify over $2k plus shipping to Europe vs $600 for the TopGear ones, so I think I'll bite the bullet even if they're not equal length. Read enough good reviews about them to give them a try.

What I'm not sure about is the middle section. Should I go x-pipe or crossover? I've been watching a lot of videos but can't make my mind between the two systems. According to Fabspeed, crossover pipes kill the flat six bark more than an x-pipe system. I would love my car to sound like a Porsche, I'm not after a V8 sound or pops and bangs. Just pure flat six sound that gets louder as the revs increase.

I already received the OEM mufflers and I've been busy cleaning them with a wire brush before sending them to the shop to do the Fister mod. Still a bit of work left, but looking good:

The following 2 users liked this post by smrpr:
BRN9121 (02-22-2024), Graufuchs (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:33 AM
smrpr
Instructor

After some consideration, I will stick to the original plan of getting crossover cats instead of an x-pipe. I don’t want to lose torque on the low/middle rpms as I don’t usually floor it.

Quick Reply: 997.1 C2 - let's talk exhausts