Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK - Boring Downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 10:03 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK - Boring Downshifts

How can I make the gen 1 PDK have a more pronounced blip on downshifts? I’ve been spoiled by having a 991.

Hoping someone may have some feedback on a couple options I’m considering:
1) Factory retrofit the sport chrono package
2) Softronic ECU upgrade - more power and website states it adds permanent sport mode to cars without it.
3) A company called 1016 Industries was discussed on forums many years ago about tuned PDK success - their website mentions nothing about this (waiting for email response)

I have a 997.2 “base” without sports chrono - no “fun mode” buttons 🥺. I miss the thrill of having the pronounced downshifts with that PSE on the 991. If any options enhance the upshifts too, that’s a big bonus as well.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:24 AM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a base 997.2 PDK car also. My car didn't have the sports chrono package either, I had it installed by the Porsche dealer. That improved the car when in automatic mode but in manual mode it is improved but still a little lazy shifting. The manual mode works best when I put it in Sports Plus mode.

IMHO - I would say the Sports Chrono is a must have option, I always in Sport or Sport Plus. I would recommend doing that first and seeing if that gets you close to what you are expecting. Also, check out the COBB tuning for PDK cars.

Good Luck!

Rick

Last edited by RABjr; 02-24-2024 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:43 AM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 622 Likes on 240 Posts

@TommyPcar1
I have a 997.2 base PDK also:
No PDK car should be allowed to ship from the factory without Sport Chrono option imho. Definitely do that first.
2nd very easy addition is Transmission Mount Insert: see thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html

I have a 9702 Panamera Turbo as a DD for comparison and I can tell you that the above two options make the 997.2 PDK way better and closer to later generation Porsches.

By Porsche enthusiasts
For Porsche enthusiasts

The following users liked this post:
RABjr (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 11:09 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RABjr
I have a base 997.2 PDK car also. My car didn't have the sports chrono package either, I had it installed by the Porsche dealer. That improved the car when in automatic mode but in manual mode it is improved but still a little lazy shifting. The manual mode works best when I put it in Sports Plus mode.

IMHO - I would say the Sports Chrono is a must have option, I never drive unless in Sport or Sport Plus. I would recommend doing that first and seeing if that gets you close to what you are expecting. Also, check out the COBB tuning for PDK cars.

Good Luck!

Rick
Sounds like a consensus to add the Sport Chrono pack. We also own a 987.2 Boxster and I’ve never felt an overwhelming difference between auto and sport like I’ve been used to on the 991… maybe it’s more pronounced of a difference on the 911 vs Boxster?

I am still curious to hear from anyone who has tried the ECU upgrades and how it may or may not change the shifting.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:27 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emc2design
@TommyPcar1
I have a 997.2 base PDK also:
No PDK car should be allowed to ship from the factory without Sport Chrono option imho. Definitely do that first.
2nd very easy addition is Transmission Mount Insert: see thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html

I have a 9702 Panamera Turbo as a DD for comparison and I can tell you that the above two options make the 997.2 PDK way better and closer to later generation Porsches.
Good info, thank you. I will look into it. Agreed, I can’t believe they ever shipped them without a sport button at the least. The sport chrono add-on must really make a difference on a 911? Hesitant as our 987.2 PDK with SC is not a huge improvement from auto to sport/sport+ in terms of shift performance.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:15 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Adding sport chrono function as well as installing new engine mounts and having the PDK serviced should remedy the shift action.

Any production year of of 997.2 is at least 12 years old. So it stands to reason that the gearbox would be due for service and the engine mounts need to be changed as well. That's just taking proper care of the car, and the improved shift action is a side benefit.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyPcar1
I have a 997.2 “base” without sports chrono - no “fun mode” buttons 🥺. I miss the thrill of having the pronounced downshifts with that PSE on the 991. If any options enhance the upshifts too, that’s a big bonus as well.
Originally Posted by Emc2design
@TommyPcar1No PDK car should be allowed to ship from the factory without Sport Chrono option imho. Definitely do that first.
2nd very easy addition is Transmission Mount Insert: see thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html.
Sums it up without anything else necessary to add. PDK without SC is a miserable experience if you can even call it an experience. And I've said the exact same thing in previous posts on the same subject: "No PDK car should be allowed to ship from the factory without Sport Chrono".
The following 2 users liked this post by sandwedge:
TommyPcar1 (02-25-2024), vg247 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 09:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Every 2 pedal 997 needs Sport Chrono.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
sandwedge (02-26-2024), TommyPcar1 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 11:09 AM
myltz400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's a street only car like mine, be sure to clear out all the Porsche lazy algorithms from driving in traffic (fleet mileage/emissions constraints). Keep in D and perform some hard pulls with the accelerator all the way to the kick down part. Back this by some foot tap only downshifts. Just jab the pedal quickly like you are heel/toe a manual but again keep it in auto so the car has to respond to the commands electronically. Basically an "Italian tune up" for your computer. I find this gets the cars "head right" and becomes much more crisp to drive in any mode.

I don't think the early PDK cars can be made to blip like an E90 M3 or the later P cars. Other than making the car louder of course. It seems Porsche was concerned with reliability and kicking butt on the track initially. The smooth refinement and fun noises probably came from the marketing department.
The following users liked this post:
TommyPcar1 (02-25-2024)

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK - Boring Downshifts