Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche For Everyday Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 06:07 AM
user 9089299
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Cayenne was a big no to me after 6 months. Way too heavy and bulky since I didn’t need the space. But I did liked the idea of a V8 Porsche that’s why I went for it.

However after getting the macan turbo and driving many other small SUV’s (during purchases for mom and partner) I can say the macan drives best. Also greatly reliable, I’ve put over 100K+ miles on mine with just regular maintenance. The thing also sounds hilariously nice if you upgrade the exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 11:48 AM
myltz400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Put around 100k miles on a Cayenne S. I thought it was a blast to drive. Reminded me of old muscle cars, V8 and steer with the throttle. Mine was reliable with great forum support here. If I were to do an SUV right now I would shoot for a GTS but certainly grab the right S if it came up for sale. Only experience with Macans have been loaner vehicles, but for me you are already getting out of the light sports car so go big with the Cayenne.
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:14 PM
SSMOKE-U
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe look into '20-'21 X3M. It is in the stated price range and it is super nice (my wife has a '20 X3M Comp). I'm a bigger guy so comfort isn't outstanding in the sport seats, but from an SUV/Hauler standpoint, its great. As far as fun goes, My wife's is tuned so the thing is fun because its a rocket. Not a whole lot out there like a 600hp SUV to put a smile on your face.

Last edited by SSMOKE-U; 03-07-2024 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SSMOKE-U:
Graufuchs (03-07-2024), Highline-Autos.com (03-08-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:48 PM
SpecialKay
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I took a modular approach

Your situation may require something different, but I have found that my 997.2 with the "modular SUV kit" has worked extremely well for everyday use. When I need the extra cargo space, I install it.

Graufuchs (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 08:27 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,129 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by SSMOKE-U
Maybe look into '20-'21 X3M. It is in the stated price range and it is super nice (my wife has a '20 X3M Comp). I'm a bigger guy so comfort isn't outstanding in the sport seats, but from an SUV/Hauler standpoint, its great. As far as fun goes, My wife's is tuned so the thing is fun because its a rocket. Not a whole lot out there like a 600hp SUV to put a smile on your face.
I briefly considered an X3M, they are very capable and not bad looking for an SUV. My best friend recently picked up a new M2. I just can't do BMW...I like the older E30s, some E34s but the modern stuff doesn't do it for me. Sharp pair of cars there!

Originally Posted by SpecialKay
Your situation may require something different, but I have found that my 997.2 with the "modular SUV kit" has worked extremely well for everyday use. When I need the extra cargo space, I install it.
I would have to put a child in that carrier up top...not an option unfortunately.

Originally Posted by myltz400
Put around 100k miles on a Cayenne S. I thought it was a blast to drive. Reminded me of old muscle cars, V8 and steer with the throttle. Mine was reliable with great forum support here. If I were to do an SUV right now I would shoot for a GTS but certainly grab the right S if it came up for sale. Only experience with Macans have been loaner vehicles, but for me you are already getting out of the light sports car so go big with the Cayenne.
That is really good to hear, definitely leaning towards a GTS as they come well equipped with options. I still have a 997 for fun, so having a piggy for everyday use is fine with me. The Cayenne GTS I test drove felt like a battle tank and that had a ton of miles on it, nice place to be for everyday use.

Originally Posted by rojo33
Cayenne was a big no to me after 6 months. Way too heavy and bulky since I didn’t need the space. But I did liked the idea of a V8 Porsche that’s why I went for it.

However after getting the macan turbo and driving many other small SUV’s (during purchases for mom and partner) I can say the macan drives best. Also greatly reliable, I’ve put over 100K+ miles on mine with just regular maintenance. The thing also sounds hilariously nice if you upgrade the exhaust.
If I had less kids I would side heavier on the Macan side for sure. Good to hear about the reliability!

Originally Posted by daddyscar
About two years ago I made an impulse buy on a 2015 Macan Turbo at a Chevy dealer in Sonoma from a salesman that used to be one of the lead sales guys at Sonnen Porsche where it was also routinely serviced at. It was loaded with lots of pebble grey leather and carbon trim, awesome Burmester sound, still my favorite 18 way seats, and just about every functioning button on the center console. I was nervous about PDK failure so I added a Fidelity platinum warranty. Loved that Macan Turbo. It was so smooth, solid and fast on the road. No problems. Only sold about a year later because of another impulse buy, a 2019 Range Rover.

Browse around for higher mileage and optioned Cayennes or Macans with a 2yr CPO if you don't plan to keep for too long. Some fun options pop from time to time.
What range rover did you end up with? I have also liked them. English and Reliability do not often end up as synonymous pair. How is it holding up? The Macan turbo is on the short list, great bang for the buck used.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 03-08-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:08 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

The Macan is too small for a 5 seater and anyone over 6' can't ride in the back seat without their head hitting the roof because of the sloping roofline. The Macan is the more fun drive but a turbo or turbo S Cayenne is it's own kind of fun as you amaze yourself with what a 5000 lb vehicle can accelerate and handle like (with PDCC).

I don't know what years you're considering, but I'm not interested in a Cayenne newer than a 2010. The shape got effeminate, the interiors are too fancy, they have too much tech that I won't be able to diagnose or fix myself, etc. The 957 generation of Cayenne is the equivalent to the 997 generation of 911 so if you loved that stuff about the 997 and don't want touchsceeens and a bunch of driver assist aids, consider that.

A 957 GTS has the same aero kit as the factory turbo S and 400 HP, vs the 500 HP of the turbo, and 550 HP of the turbo S. If you like acceleration and speed, the GTS just isn't the same, but does sound the best with it's standard sport exhaust.

The Macan is also PDK only, so if you're concerned about repairs on that, it's another thing to consider. All Cayennes have always been Tiptronics in order to be able to handle towing duties.

Early 958 Cayennes (2011 and some 2012) have 2 issues - ongoing transfer case failures even with the upgraded part and aluminum cam gear bolts that have the heads snapnoff and lose timing. There was a recall to replace them with steel ones. The aluminum ones have tamper resistant heads - the steel ones and you can get a look at them with a dental mirror through the oil fill cap.

My 2009 957 Turbo S has mods to 650 HP, 958 gen 410mm PCCBs, and body mods. I'll have it forever.

Graufuchs (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 09:28 AM
Nate R
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of good info here. I have had a Macan base as a loaner - was not terribly impressed. I believe it shares a frame with the Audi Q5/SQ5. I was interested in the Cayenne for a while. Test drove a 15 turbo - tons of fun, amazingly quick for its size - did not handle like a big SUV. I liked it. Sounded really cool. Also drove newer base and S (19?) and enjoyed those much less. The V8 GTS version I think has a lot of cool factor. I would recommend driving a turbo cayenne.

Ended up going a different direction and instead of getting a sporty SUV (which will always be a compromise) got a 16 MB G550. It handles like a military truck, and gets abysmal gas mileage. But supposedly is reliable, has excellent depreciation and is an absolute beast off road. Fun to drive in a different way. Gets more attention than the 911 (for better or worse). I like it way more than I thought I would. Unlike Porsche they come very optioned even at the base level. It is super heavy but has plenty of power and the V8 sounds nice.
Graufuchs (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 11:02 AM
user 9089299
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The Macan is too small for a 5 seater and anyone over 6' can't ride in the back seat without their head hitting the roof because of the sloping roofline. The Macan is the more fun drive but a turbo or turbo S Cayenne is it's own kind of fun as you amaze yourself with what a 5000 lb vehicle can accelerate and handle like (with PDCC).

I don't know what years you're considering, but I'm not interested in a Cayenne newer than a 2010. The shape got effeminate, the interiors are too fancy, they have too much tech that I won't be able to diagnose or fix myself, etc. The 957 generation of Cayenne is the equivalent to the 997 generation of 911 so if you loved that stuff about the 997 and don't want touchsceeens and a bunch of driver assist aids, consider that.

A 957 GTS has the same aero kit as the factory turbo S and 400 HP, vs the 500 HP of the turbo, and 550 HP of the turbo S. If you like acceleration and speed, the GTS just isn't the same, but does sound the best with it's standard sport exhaust.

The Macan is also PDK only, so if you're concerned about repairs on that, it's another thing to consider. All Cayennes have always been Tiptronics in order to be able to handle towing duties.

Early 958 Cayennes (2011 and some 2012) have 2 issues - ongoing transfer case failures even with the upgraded part and aluminum cam gear bolts that have the heads snapnoff and lose timing. There was a recall to replace them with steel ones. The aluminum ones have tamper resistant heads - the steel ones and you can get a look at them with a dental mirror through the oil fill cap.

My 2009 957 Turbo S has mods to 650 HP, 958 gen 410mm PCCBs, and body mods. I'll have it forever.

woof! That’s a clean one my friend!!! I think this model doesn’t look that great to the eye in recent years because people started treating them like sh8tboxes, almost like 1995 ford explorers. I’ve never seen one this clean on the road.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:43 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 416 Posts

There is only one answer…

The following 3 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
911grizzly (03-09-2024), Graufuchs (03-09-2024), TommyV44 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Originally Posted by rojo33
woof! That’s a clean one my friend!!! I think this model doesn’t look that great to the eye in recent years because people started treating them like sh8tboxes, almost like 1995 ford explorers. I’ve never seen one this clean on the road.
Thanks. I'll keep the back clean for you just in case you do see it on the road

I felt kind of lucky to find this one - FL car it's whole life so no cold climate bore scoring risk or any rust (thing looks like brand new underneath), only 28k miles when I bought it in 2016 (50k currently), and nice options list with the ruffled leather seats, pano roof, and a few other things. It had the carbon fiber interior trim package, which I loved, but the wife wanted the dark wood like she has in her 997, so I acquiesced in exchange for all the other mods I wanted to make. Paid top dollar for it at the time, but checked all my boxes for what I had planned to do with it.

I see some low mileage (under 60k) turbo Ss come up for sale from time to time. If you decide that's the one and can wait a little bit, keep your eyes open and scan the for sale sites frequently - PcarMarket, BAT, CarFax, AutoTrader, Cars.com, PCA Mart, etc.

Was originally black on black as that's the combo I always buy when planning to do a color change and knew I was going to make this one pearl white going into it.

As purchased

Had the stainless front & rear trim package and silver grill too

Had the top of the Yakima Skybox painted to match

1-piece aluminum driveshaft upgrade. Pic from 2018 but still looks like this underneath
Old 03-08-2024, 01:08 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I highly recommend a Mercedes Diesel SUV - I have a 2008 ML320 CDI which has been a great dependable daily for 6 years.
30MPG on highway/26 city and Diesel engines are bulletproof and go over 250K miles with ease.
The GL models are slightly bigger if needed but the ML serves me well.
Has much better visibility than the Cayenne, 7000 LB towing capacity and so comfortable. We have Mercedes Diesel sedans as well.

Is yours equipped with the OM642 3.0 liter V-6 (72 deg V angle) ? Those engines are in a lot of sprinters.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:13 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs

What range rover did you end up with? I have also liked them. English and Reliability do not often end up as synonymous pair. How is it holding up? The Macan turbo is on the short list, great bang for the buck used.
First on the Macan Turbo. After watching newer 3 year old 911's selling for close to msrp, I got intrigued by how Macan's still mostly depreciated normally during the same period. I still had my 2010 GT3 and wanted a more practical 911. I test drove a 75k mi CPO 2015 Macan Turbo at my local dealer but they wouldn't budge enough on the price. I found another 2015 Macan Turbo with much lower miles, more options and better color combo at the Chevy dealer someone traded in but serviced regularly at my local dealer at a better price even after the Fidelity warranty.

You have to really want a Land Rover. Nobody drives one because it's their only option. I had a 1994 and 1992 Range Rover Classic to fulfill a child hood dream, both with over 100k miles. The 1992 Range Rover was the longest I ever kept a car at that time, almost five years. The first was sold after our fist child was born and we wanted a more reliable only car. The 92 Rover was sold because parts were starting to become hard to find at the time. Also, someone bumped the front bumper and insurance wanted to total it for a $2500 repair that I talked them out of. We had a practically new 2004 Discovery HSE7 in between. That never left us stranded but would do what I think most Land Rover owners experience. It would throw oddball error codes that could never be recreated by the dealer. For this Rover a rear suspension error would pop up then go away without any actual problems. It also needed new rotors after 15k miles. Fourth Land Rover was a CPO LR4 that gave me a lot of confidence about owning a modern Land Rover. That LR4 was solid and problem free. I ended up getting a 2019 Range Rover with a V6 about a year and a half an ago. The alternator failed late last year but the $2k repair was actually covered under the refundable warranty I got that I didn't have too much faith in. I love this Range Rover though. I love the exterior design. The interior is gorgeous. The front door with all the metal, leather, and wood is just so nice. I've had a Mercedes GL and G and neither has received as many comments from passengers on how nice the Rover is. This won't be my last Land Rover, help me!
Graufuchs (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 02:42 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate R
Lots of good info here. I have had a Macan base as a loaner - was not terribly impressed. I believe it shares a frame with the Audi Q5/SQ5. I was interested in the Cayenne for a while. Test drove a 15 turbo - tons of fun, amazingly quick for its size - did not handle like a big SUV. I liked it. Sounded really cool. Also drove newer base and S (19?) and enjoyed those much less. The V8 GTS version I think has a lot of cool factor. I would recommend driving a turbo cayenne.

Ended up going a different direction and instead of getting a sporty SUV (which will always be a compromise) got a 16 MB G550. It handles like a military truck, and gets abysmal gas mileage. But supposedly is reliable, has excellent depreciation and is an absolute beast off road. Fun to drive in a different way. Gets more attention than the 911 (for better or worse). I like it way more than I thought I would. Unlike Porsche they come very optioned even at the base level. It is super heavy but has plenty of power and the V8 sounds nice.
I also wasn't impressed with a couple of base Macan loaners I drove until the third one when I actually drove it more aggressively and appreciated it more. I got a used 2015 Macan Turbo because I loved how it drove and it had depreciated over 50% in six years unlike a 2015 911. Was kind of cool driving a "top of the line" Macan too.

I'm also a big fan of g-wagons. I had a 2008 G500. Everyone, even my wife and daughter and their friends loved that car. Like you mentioned, a lot of attention, for better or worse. No other car I had more random people come up and ask about how I liked the car. I was trying to get back into one but the market went out of control for a while and I ended up with a 2019 Range Rover. It was interesting to see the G63 market change so fast, while the 911 GT market mostly held up.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:24 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
There is only one answer…

I agree but unfortunately outside of my budget....
Old 03-10-2024, 09:36 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Narrowed down search to this low mileage GTS:

2016 GTS w/ 33K Clean Carfax (along with dealer research/ VIN Search)

Acceptable trade-in value for Volvo V90.

The following 4 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
ATX_Native (03-12-2024), daddyscar (03-10-2024), ftc3 (03-13-2024), steveP911 (03-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche For Everyday Use