Sponsored by:

Porsche For Everyday Use

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 09:07 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 429 Posts
Default Porsche For Everyday Use

I am considering a Porsche for daily duties, that include running the kids around, household errands and light duty business. I recently sold one of the 997s and now have the opportunity to get a P-car for everyday use.

Currently considering a Cayenne S/GTS (987.2) or Macan GTS. Needs to be a 5 seater, so the Panamera is out. (Sport Tourismo GTS is outside of what I would like to spend) (Budget around 40-45K)

Not afraid to turn a wrench so maintenance is not an issue, as long as its not an engine out procedure.

My question for us 997 owners who owned or currently own a Cayenne/Macan how was/is the car in the following aspects?

Reliability -

Daily Usability -

Fun To Drive -

The following users liked this post:
smrpr (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 11:06 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 87 Posts

For me, the Macan is more fun to drive but the Cayenne is a better utility vehicle with seating, storage, and towing (especially with the full air suspension, standard on GTS and up)
Graufuchs (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:48 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a 997 GTS. I was wanting to buy a Macan for a few years before I finally did. I bought a 2020 Macan S. I had it for a year before I sold it. I wouldn't describe it as fun to drive. It's competent for an SUV, suspension is very well sorted. It's entertaining to drive, but fun is not a word I'd use. I sold the Macan because it's an SUV and I don't care to be driving one when I don't require the space. Replaced it with an Audi TTS hatchback. Very glad I did.

Reliablility - Had no problems, as expected
Utility - Great utility for my uses, but I don't have children so I don't really need the space mostly
Fun to drive - lets not kid ourselves, this is a 4400lb SUV

Out for a wash

Last edited by Fined; 03-06-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Graufuchs (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:30 PM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 2015 Macan S with 70000 miles (and a 2006 997S). Had it for 5 years. Absolutely love the car, have no need to "upgrade" to the Cayenne at this stage. It's not a 911, but some of the driving dynamics are there. Great exhaust sound from the 3.0 V6TT (engine has since changed), adjustable suspension (mine has air so can go hard and low, or soft and high, or either), off road capable with A/T tyres and high ride height with air suspension. Not the biggest trunk or back seat, but kid and dog fits. Two kids and a dog might be a stretch.

Reliability - Never left me stranded. Besides routine maintenance, I've only replaced front wheel bearings and control arms. And tyres. The high performance summer tyres don't last very long (partly why I went with more durable A/T's).

Daily Usability - 10/10 Doesn't feel much bigger than my wife's Golf, but has a much better presence on the road. Enough luxury for me, super comfortable seats. Even used it to haul 500kg of sand and cement (in the trunk) to my house once. Won't do that again though.

Fun To Drive - 8/10. Really good in Sport mode, pretty dull in normal mode but sometimes that's what I need. I drive it in normal mode 90% of the time. f I want excitement, I use my 911.
Graufuchs (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,716 Posts

I highly recommend a Mercedes Diesel SUV - I have a 2008 ML320 CDI which has been a great dependable daily for 6 years.
30MPG on highway/26 city and Diesel engines are bulletproof and go over 250K miles with ease.
The GL models are slightly bigger if needed but the ML serves me well.
Has much better visibility than the Cayenne, 7000 LB towing capacity and so comfortable. We have Mercedes Diesel sedans as well.

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-06-2024 at 01:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Graufuchs (03-06-2024), TRINITONY (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:57 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

My daily is a base 2018 Macan, I really like it as a daily, plenty of room, handles great, comfortable and in general reliable. Or course "fun" is a relative term, it's not as fun as my '11 Spyder or '08 Carrera 4S but it's more fun than my previous daily a '12 Subaru Outback. I've had some electrical issues with the Macan. I purchased the car in January 2020, in February 2021 the alarm system went off, randomly several times in a 24-hour period for no apparent reason. I brought it to the Porsche Dealership; they diagnosed and fixed the problem. There was a short in wiring under the hood caused by rodent chewing likely a squirrel. I was surprised, yes, I keep the car outside yes, there are a number of squirrels around here (a lot of trees) I daily drive it but thought that kind of stuff only happens to cars in storage. Dealer says no, they've seen it before in non-storage cars. I write this as the Macan is back in the shop with the same issue: the alarm going off randomly for no apparent reason, don't have the diagnosis yet. Otherwise, no problems and I like the car as a daily.
Graufuchs (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 02:20 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I have a 997 GTS. I was wanting to buy a Macan for a few years before I finally did. I bought a 2020 Macan S. I had it for a year before I sold it. I wouldn't describe it as fun to drive. It's competent for an SUV, suspension is very well sorted. It's entertaining to drive, but fun is not a word I'd use. I sold the Macan because it's an SUV and I don't care to be driving one when I don't require the space. Replaced it with an Audi TTS hatchback. Very glad I did.

Reliablility - Had no problems, as expected
Utility - Great utility for my uses, but I don't have children so I don't really need the space mostly
Fun to drive - lets not kid ourselves, this is a 4400lb SUV

Out for a wash
If I didn't have kids, an SUV wouldn't be a thought. I would have kept the 991.2 for a daily driver. I really liked my Audi TTS, great car. Good taste!

I have (3), twins just turned 13 and the little guy is turning 12. So its sports (Baseball, Golf, Lacrosse) and local running around (Grocery Store/Costco etc). An occasional trip to work at a friends shop once in a while.

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I highly recommend a Mercedes Diesel SUV - I have a 2008 ML320 CDI which has been a great dependable daily for 6 years.
30MPG on highway/26 city and Diesel engines are bulletproof and go over 250K miles with ease.
The GL models are slightly bigger if needed but the ML serves me well.
Has much better visibility than the Cayenne, 7000 LB towing capacity and so comfortable. We have Mercedes Diesel sedans as well.
I considered another GLE 63 AMG....or even the fat pig GLS AMG 63. My uncle loves his Mercedes SUVs. They hold up pretty well, especially for the (used) price point.

Originally Posted by TomiK
I have a 2015 Macan S with 70000 miles (and a 2006 997S). Had it for 5 years. Absolutely love the car, have no need to "upgrade" to the Cayenne at this stage. It's not a 911, but some of the driving dynamics are there. Great exhaust sound from the 3.0 V6TT (engine has since changed), adjustable suspension (mine has air so can go hard and low, or soft and high, or either), off road capable with A/T tyres and high ride height with air suspension. Not the biggest trunk or back seat, but kid and dog fits. Two kids and a dog might be a stretch.

Reliability - Never left me stranded. Besides routine maintenance, I've only replaced front wheel bearings and control arms. And tyres. The high performance summer tyres don't last very long (partly why I went with more durable A/T's).

Daily Usability - 10/10 Doesn't feel much bigger than my wife's Golf, but has a much better presence on the road. Enough luxury for me, super comfortable seats. Even used it to haul 500kg of sand and cement (in the trunk) to my house once. Won't do that again though.

Fun To Drive - 8/10. Really good in Sport mode, pretty dull in normal mode but sometimes that's what I need. I drive it in normal mode 90% of the time. f I want excitement, I use my 911.
Thanks Tomik, yes leaning towards the cayenne for the additional space with 3 kids. Good to know its been pretty reliable and somewhat fun to drive. I mean fun/entertaining with all things considered, its an SUV at the end of the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
groovzilla (03-07-2024), TomiK (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 02:23 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
I am considering a Porsche for daily duties, that include running the kids around, household errands and light duty business. I recently sold one of the 997s and now have the opportunity to get a P-car for everyday use.

Currently considering a Cayenne S/GTS (987.2) or Macan GTS. Needs to be a 5 seater, so the Panamera is out. (Sport Tourismo GTS is outside of what I would like to spend) (Budget around 40-45K)

Not afraid to turn a wrench so maintenance is not an issue, as long as its not an engine out procedure.

My question for us 997 owners who owned or currently own a Cayenne/Macan how was/is the car in the following aspects?

Reliability -

Daily Usability -

Fun To Drive -

I've owned a 997.2 (has been replaced with an '88 3.2 Carrera coupe.) For daily transportation, I have a 2019 Cayenne (base 3.0L V6).

You've indicated that you need 5-passenger capability. Based on that, the Macan is out. (The rear seat area in the Macan is really very tight - even for two adults. For three - won't really work I don't think. At a minimum, I would check it out to verify based on your particular circumstance / needs.)

My Cayenne is year one of the 9Y0 generation. The 3L V6 is an Audi-sourced power plant. It has historically been very reliable and maintenance on it is not much of an issue - particularly as compared to a 997 (by that I mean accessibility to things in the engine bay). The Cayenne has a ZF8 eight-speed transmission which is arguably one of the best automatics ever made. Flawless performance; very reliable; and from a maintenance and repairability perspective - a cakewalk as compared with a PDK. (The Macan on the other hand has a 7-speed PDK.) From a size and comfort perspective - the Cayenne is great choice. The steering / suspension / ride / handling is outstanding for a vehicle of its size and overall weight.

Depending on your budget - an outstanding choice would be a 9Y0 Cayenne GTS. V8 engine is just fantastic.

When you're shopping for either a Cayenne or Macan - (and you may be very much already aware of this) virtually everything is an option. It would be beneficial to carefully study the various options that are (or were) available (depending on if you're opting for new or used) so that when you're evaluating a vehicle, you have a clear sense of what to look for (based on your needs.)

Good luck with the process and outcome.

My 9Y0 Cayenne base -

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Graufuchs (03-07-2024), groovzilla (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:35 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
If I didn't have kids, an SUV wouldn't be a thought. I would have kept the 991.2 for a daily driver. I really liked my Audi TTS, great car. Good taste!

I have (3), twins just turned 13 and the little guy is turning 12. So its sports (Baseball, Golf, Lacrosse) and local running around (Grocery Store/Costco etc). An occasional trip to work at a friends shop once in a while.
Maybe try to get an extended test drive with an Audi S7. Seats 5, still has a hatch for easy access, 444hp. No high center of gravity to sap the enjoyment out of driving. 2020 models are in the stated price range or close.
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:48 PM
towbar
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Macan? Recommended👍

Prior to buying my 997.2 I owned two totally different Macans.
first was a 17 Turbo 3.6litre… great fun, super comfortable and superb everyday car. I then swapped that at the main dealer for a Macan GTS my20. 2.9litre ‘Audi’ engine.
This car was chipped (unknowingly at purchase but confirmed a little later) and was amazingly good fun. Superb ride even though it wasn’t airbags.
I loved this car and it rode like a big hot hatch…but our main dealer had a 997.2 on the showroom floor and I had to scratch that last itch.
The 997.2 is our only car. If we go away on holiday we hire an suv.- Rav 4 or something like that.
It’s a lot cheaper to hire a load lugger when required than to own a second vehicle
I would certainly recommend a 2019 on Macan as a fun suv. Trunk isn’t big for 4 people but there are just the two of us.
The 997 is my 9th Porsche and due to finances and a wish to retire probably my last.- but what a way to go!
😢
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 09:05 PM
Wagon Master
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Would you give consideration to a Mercedes E Series wagon? My daily is a 2014 E350 4Matic wagon and I absolutely love it. If you really have a need for speed, you can look at the AMG version. The big Merc wagon can haul all you need to lug around, has the built in 3rd rear facing jump seat in the back for 2 kids to bring your total to 7 passengers. It has been one of the cheapest vehicles to operate, although at 10 years old now, she is needing some TLC. But as a rock solid vehicle that hauls like an SUV ( maybe carry even more) and still drives like a car, not a barge, I would suggest you toss it in your discussion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wagon Master:
Graufuchs (03-07-2024), groovzilla (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:01 PM
r_towle
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Cayenne for sure, not Macan.

i have older aircooled cars
i have a 997
i have a 2005 Cayenne Turbo

get adjustable air suspension
get as much power as you can afford

enjoy it
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 01:59 AM
Dbrentski
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So well said..
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:19 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 104 Posts

I have what for me is the perfect combo. A 2011 997.2 C2S for me and a 2018 Cayenne Platinum Edition (V6) for Her.
Graufuchs (03-07-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:43 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

About two years ago I made an impulse buy on a 2015 Macan Turbo at a Chevy dealer in Sonoma from a salesman that used to be one of the lead sales guys at Sonnen Porsche where it was also routinely serviced at. It was loaded with lots of pebble grey leather and carbon trim, awesome Burmester sound, still my favorite 18 way seats, and just about every functioning button on the center console. I was nervous about PDK failure so I added a Fidelity platinum warranty. Loved that Macan Turbo. It was so smooth, solid and fast on the road. No problems. Only sold about a year later because of another impulse buy, a 2019 Range Rover.

Browse around for higher mileage and optioned Cayennes or Macans with a 2yr CPO if you don't plan to keep for too long. Some fun options pop from time to time.

Last edited by daddyscar; 03-07-2024 at 02:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by daddyscar:
Graufuchs (03-07-2024), Highline-Autos.com (03-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche For Everyday Use