Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceratec Ceramic + MoS2 vs MoS2 only? Flame alert!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 05:10 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

This is what I have...
Old 03-15-2024, 05:13 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Is this your preferred level, Wayne?
Old 03-15-2024, 05:14 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hope you don't mind my questions Bruce...
Old 03-15-2024, 01:12 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick

Is this your preferred level, Wayne?
That, or the block below.

Oil expands with heat. With the amount of oil our cars hold, when we run the Sierra passes in hot thin summer air, we see significant rises in oil temperature that can represent almost a half quart of expansion. So suddenly we are full or even over full.

You don't ever want to be over full. This can cause sloshing resulting in excess oil vapor in the pan which then can overload the AOS and cause premature failure. The 9A1 AOS is robust and the pan has good baffles coupled with better pick up pumps, so this is more of a 997.1 thing. But still, why push it?

If you read Hooked on Driving for their preparations before taking your car to the track they state that your oil level should be on the low side.

It has often been stated that it is better to run oil low than high in these cars. There's lots of reserve so you can be really low but still safe. The same doesn't apply to really high.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:13 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Wow, an intentional oil thread ... courageous!!!!

What hasn't been mentioned here is LSPI. For 9A1 motors, the DI40 has (may have?) an advantage here.

I've got bottles of DI40 on the shelf to try in another 1500 miles (I want to go the distance on my OCI so that the analysis of the third dose of LiquiMoly is a valid comparison to the Mobil One I've used for 140K + miles). So I'm not sure if when I pour in the Driven oil I will need to shake it up to get the moly out or not. Since moly is a solid that does not stay in suspension (or affect the oil), if I don't have to shake the bottle first, what magic is going on?

And that brings up another question ... What is the fluid in the MoS2 can, and does that affect (or dilute) the oil?
My M97.01 engine was getting LSPI with Liqui Moly and Mos2 so I switch my oil to Motul 5w40 x-cess and it virtually eliminated all my LSPI .. I still use Mos2 and alternate every fourth oil change to Ceratec . My used oil reports are very comparable to the Driven oil reports. I would just use Driven oil , unfortunately here in Canada the price for Driven oil is ridiculous ...
The following users liked this post:
aasilvia (03-19-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 04:08 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts

LSPI mostly applies to turbocharged direct injection engines.... so not the 997.1.
The following 3 users liked this post by silver_tt:
8x57IRS (03-18-2024), ADias (03-19-2024), Charles Navarro (03-19-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
LSPI mostly applies to turbocharged direct injection engines.... so not the 997.1.
Or just DFI in general. That's why DT (or FR) for 997.1 and DI for 997.2.
Petza914 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 04:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 196K miles

Why no love for Ceratec when so much love for MoS2 (aka Moly)? As I understand the threads here, oil with Moly is very important. OK.... Driven has moly and the Porsche approved A40 spec does not. OK, Driven is better... got it. But adding Ceratec is ignored here or is considered inferior than Moly. As I understand it, Ceratec has both Moly plus their "new and improved" additive of ceramic particulates. These ceramic particulates are touted to have superior friction reduction properties than just Moly. It seems to me that those that like moly in their oil would jump on this as moly PLUS more stuff would be better. No? Why no love here?

I use Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 a Porsche A40 oil and I add Ceratec. I wanted a heavier oil than 0w and Liquimoly is available in 5 litre jugs... and I usually get a 10% discount by ordering on line at Napa and picking up the next day. Hard to beat those numbers and what I think is a killer formulation.

Flame away!!!

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
LM Leichtlauf HT 5W40 and Ceratec is what I use. All good.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Or just DFI in general. That's why DT (or FR) for 997.1 and DI for 997.2.
Yes, but smaller displacement engines. I think less on 3.8L engines driven judiciously - i.e., do not hammer it when driving slow and low revs in 3rd gear...
Old 03-18-2024, 05:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

Update... some more data....

Dang, c'mon... I am amazed the ceramic is shutting everyone down. I guess there is so little good information out there. Soooo......

Well... I discovered the ceramic in Ceratec is actually hexagonal boron nitride (BN, or h-BN). Apparently, there is quite a bit of science on the use of this molecule and some even when mixed with MoS2. In short, this crap looks great!!! No kidding. In short, I am sticking with Ceratec... this stuff really does contain some good stuff. BTW, LM is not the only products to use h-BN...

From some of the links below:

https://xenum.com/solid-lubricants-c...amic-additive/

Solid lubricants: Ceramic additive (hBN)

In our last article we compared MoS2, Teflon and graphite as solid lubricants. Now it’s time to talk about the cream of the crop: ceramic (boron nitride). Also called “white graphite”, the ceramic powder of hexagonal boron nitride is the best dry lubricant in the oil additive business. Keep reading to discover why.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ls.1366 Abstract

Friction and wear behaviour of different concentrations of hex-boron nitride (h-BN) nanoparticles in engine oil of grade SAE 20W50 were studied at various loads. These tribological studies were conducted using a four-ball wear test machine and a pin-on-disc universal tribometer. Anti-wear properties of SAE 20W50 + h-BN were studied on the four-ball wear test machine as per ASTM D4172 standard. Friction and wear properties of SAE 20W50 + h-BN on piston ring and cylinder liner tribo-pair were studied using the universal tribometer. Nanoparticles of h-BN mixed in lubricant showed excellent tribological performance. In most of the cases, h-BN nanoparticles as additive reduced the wear loss by 30–70% at various loads. The minimum value of coefficient of friction (0.0401) was found with SAE 20W50 + 3 wt% of h-BN at normal load of 100 N. Scanning electron microscopy and Raman spectroscopy were used for characterisation of h-BN and wear scars. Copyright © 2016 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride

...Settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricant applications in a combustion engine to automotive racing, where engine re-building is common.....
...h-BN has been used since the mid-2000s as a bullet and bore lubricant in precision target rifle applications as an alternative to molybdenum disulfide coating, commonly referred to as "moly". It is claimed to increase effective barrel life, increase intervals between bore cleaning and decrease the deviation in point of impact between clean bore first shots and subsequent shots.

https://chuckhawks.com/hbn_dry_lubricant.html

...We found a general increase in muzzle velocity similar to that obtained by the National Laboratories in centerfire rifles. However, there were significant variances in the muzzle velocities for the powders we tested. One powder did not result in any increase in muzzle velocity, while the others produced increases ranging from 5% to 15%.
...Testing at a national laboratory confirmed that the HBN does, in fact, penetrate into the pores of the steel and produce a long-lasting lubricating effect. How long no one really knows for sure, due to the many variables, but independent testing with an AR-15 indicates no significant reduction in the ceramic coating after firing 4,500 rounds. Bruce: Maybe LM is really telling the truth in that you should add it every other oil change alternating with MoS2??

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ls.1366 ABSTRACT

Oil additives is a chemical compound that dispersed in mineral oil to improve its tribological
properties. High demand of oil additives has led to development of new additives such as
nanoparticles which can give great impact on lubrication system. In this study, 70 nm h-BN
nanoparticles with various concentrations (0.01 vol.% to 0.1 vol.%) have been dispersed in
the mixture of SAE 10W40 mineral oil, Bardal B1 additives and RBD palm oil by sonication
technique. The engine oil has been tested on Satria 1.5cc engine for performance analysis
using chassis dynamometer. The analysis was conducted for engine speed of 1500 rpm to
4500 rpm. The result shows that the presence of h-BN nanoparticles as oil additives has
increased the average torque and average power of the engine by 0.18% and 1.03%
respectively for concentration of 0.01 vol.% to 0.1 vol.%. The maximum enhancement of
engine performance can be obtained by 0.1 vol.% h-BN nanoparticles. It can be seen that the
ball bearing behaviour of h-BN nanoparticles that changes the friction situation from sliding
effect (dynamic friction) to rolling effect helps to reduce friction between rubbing surface and
thus improve the engine performance. Besides that, lamellar crystalline structure of h-BN
nanoparticles that serve as spacer has eliminated a direct metal-to-metal contact.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0921883121005008 Abstract

One of the primary causes of lubricating oil failure in automobile engines is thermal degradation caused by high temperatures, which prejudices the lube oil capacity between friction pairs. This research aims to comprehensively investigate the effect of the h-BN/MoS2 hybrid nanoparticles and ionic liquid (IL) on the thermal performance of engine oil (5 W-40). The rheological results showed that nanolubricants (NL) behave like non-Newtonian fluids and IL promoted the viscosity value of lubricant due to the extension of alkyl chains. The thermal peculiarities of lube oil were analyzed by thermogravimetric (TGA/DTG/DSC) analysis to explore the thermal stability of h-BN/MoS2 hybrid nano-lubricants modified by IL and further revealed how IL improved the thermal characteristics. The results strongly showed the synergistic effect between the IL and h-BN/MoS2 hybrid nanoparticles produces a complicated interaction at high temperatures, forming a layer of film which can delay the erosion of high temperature on the surface of the nanoparticles. Ultimately, this study revealed a delay of burnout temperature in thermal degradation by approximately 8.1% under the use of hybrid nano-lube oils in a wide temperature range.

For more scholarly articles on h-BN: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-18-2024 at 05:56 PM.
ochristofferson (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:13 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 916 Posts

So someone give us stupid folks the pedestrian version
lololl
Robocop305 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

This statement leaves me with some concern ...

...Settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricant applications in a combustion engine to automotive racing, where engine re-building is common.....
Old 03-18-2024, 09:29 PM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully LM did their homework and doesn't cause filter clogging!
ADias (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

Yea, I wanted to be totally transparent about my findings. This was the only negative comment I found and nothing that is similar. I suspect that LM solved this issue. Not all h-BN powders (the raw stuff) is similar and like all this crazy chemical stuff, can be purchased with differences both in the source material and then how you cook the stew. I am not worried, as I did not notice any oil pressure changes in all of my ownership. I do pay attention 'cause I am a geek, but also I am on the lookout for changes given the age of the car.

OK, now for the conspiracy side of me: how come this additive is not more popular and from other brands? I know Ceratec is very popular, Charles Navarro mentioned it in at least one of his videos.

Check this out, you can buy it in powder form on Amazon... notes the material is graphite ????? Any chemists out there?
Amazon Amazon

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-18-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:30 PM
Der Mechaniker
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yea, I wanted to be totally transparent about my findings. This was the only negative comment I found and nothing that is similar. I suspect that LM solved this issue. Not all h-BN powders (the raw stuff) is similar and like all this crazy chemical stuff, can be purchased with differences both in the source material and then how you cook the stew. I am not worried, as I did not notice any oil pressure changes in all of my ownership. I do pay attention 'cause I am a geek, but also I am on the lookout for changes given the age of the car.

OK, now for the conspiracy side of me: how come this additive is not more popular and from other brands? I know Ceratec is very popular, Charles Navarro mentioned it in at least one of his videos.

Check this out, you can buy it in powder form on Amazon... notes the material is graphite ????? Any chemists out there? https://www.amazon.com/MICROLUBROL-H.../dp/B01N4CSJCB

Peace
hey Bruce reading the Amazon blurb it also refers to it as “white graphite “ so my guess is it’s a common name referring to its lubricant properties along the same lines as “black” graphite having lubricant properties ??

Quick Reply: Ceratec Ceramic + MoS2 vs MoS2 only? Flame alert!!!