Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceratec Ceramic + MoS2 vs MoS2 only? Flame alert!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 12:25 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This statement leaves me with some concern ...

...Settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricant applications in a combustion engine to automotive racing, where engine re-building is common.....
No joke.

Ceratec - no thanks...

Old 03-19-2024, 01:25 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 104 Posts

I like ceretec and have been using it in my .2 C2S with Motul for a while. Runs super smooth, Burns no oil, and makes me feel like I’m taking good care of things. Why do I like it? (As Bruce would say)…..I dunno, I just do.
The following users liked this post:
ADias (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 02:51 AM
Der Mechaniker
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Mechaniker
hey Bruce reading the Amazon blurb it also refers to it as “white graphite “ so my guess is it’s a common name referring to its lubricant properties along the same lines as “black” graphite having lubricant properties ??
Actually after posting my reply- I just googled it which is probably better than guessing
Interesting stuff, lot more to it than I thought !
Old 03-19-2024, 11:03 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
No joke.

Ceratec - no thanks...
Yea, one unaccredited sentence on a Wikipedia page can kill a product, or an opinion, or start a conspiracy. I totally disregard this sentence... I examine my filters each change... if the filter was "clogged", I think I would have seen something or at least heard stories of seized engines from oil starvation... or witnessed increases (or drops) in oil pressures. They sell tons of this stuff. This may have been an issue early on, engineering is amazing and could have addressed this if it was even an issue, and on and on.

The other links in my posts were from academic papers and disciplined research... all impressed with its performance.

I just ordered a two-pack from Amazon in prep for changing Her oil.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-19-2024 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
anewman (03-19-2024), LucV (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 11:37 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Examining the oil filter after using the stuff is a wise move.

If Ceratec is so good, there has to be some discernible attribute that comes through when driving / operating the vehicle.

What is it?

Old 03-19-2024, 12:27 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Examining the oil filter after using the stuff is a wise move.

If Ceratec is so good, there has to be some discernible attribute that comes through when driving / operating the vehicle.

What is it?
Good question... in short, I dunno. I guess my oil analysis should show however I suspect there is much diversity between engines given different operating environments and driving styles. My wear appears good. I did not use an additive (either Ceratec or MoS2) until about 70K miles. Prior to that... give or take some miles... I did 5K oil changes with Porsche-prescribed Mobil 1 0W. So who knows? The question you ask can go deeper into the whole additive or alternative oil question, to which I say "I dunno". In the end, I do this because it entertains me. Sure, my emotions say I am doing something good for my car particularly because I keep my cars a long long time. But I don't really know.

Here are the only rules I really live by regarding oil... and I don't have any science on any of this: Older engines should have a higher viscosity hence my use of 5W, 5K oil changes are better than 10K, and high heat environments lessens the life of oil. I do subscribe to one "reasonable" conspiracy, is that oil companies have competing objectives in that they want their engines to "last" (yes I do believe this), they have to conform to growing legislation from around the world, they want their cars to get better gas mileage, and, they have to keep their costs down as low as they can to meet objectives. So, yea, maybe Mobil 1 isn't the "best" oil for any car, but that doesn't imply it is evil.

Here is oil analysis trend from Blackstone: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ts-please.html

Wait a minute.... Actually, I do have some information about real experience... sound. My wife's IS250's lifters (or something) clacks for about 10 minutes at start when cold in the Philly winters. She hated it. So, on a lark, I added LM Hydrolic Lifter Additive... wow! No more clacking at startup. This is not needed in the summer but when the temps dropped, the clacking started. This was almost always a lovely characteristic of owning this car from new. Then, when I started adding Ceratec to my car, I tried it in Her car in winter... yep, reduced the clacking too although not as well. So there, I have real experience that Ceratec is certainly doing something and doing a similar job as what their recommended product for quieting lifters/tappets does so well. What does this mean? I dunno.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/hyd...0004.html#2770

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-19-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Ironman88 (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 02:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
This statement leaves me with some concern ...

...Settlement can clog engine oil filters, which limits solid lubricant applications in a combustion engine to automotive racing, where engine re-building is common.....
I see no evidence of that in the filters I have examined. Oil pressure is always right. Never seen higher oil pressures due to a potential filter clogging.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Check this out, you can buy it in powder form on Amazon... notes the material is graphite ????? Any chemists out there? https://www.amazon.com/MICROLUBROL-H.../dp/B01N4CSJCB
And yes… if one plays chemist and throws stuff into the engine... sure all bets are off.

Incidentally… LM changed in the last 2 or 3 years its Leichtlauf HT 5-40 additive package. Lowered Ca content and increased Mg content. Probably to mitigate LSPI. Figure shows my latest oil analysis showing that:

Last edited by ADias; 03-19-2024 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I see no evidence of that in the filters I have examined. Oil pressure is always right. Never seen higher oil pressures due to a potential filter clogging.
I haven't either. But the sentence seemed strong and worth examining. I find it hard to believe that it would be accurate. And racing motors, whether rebuilt frequently or not, need full oil pressure always. Then again, who amongst us measures filter flow restriction before and after changing oil? Back to you Bruce!!!
ADias (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 04:02 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
My M97.01 engine was getting LSPI with Liqui Moly and Mos2 so I switch my oil to Motul 5w40 x-cess and it virtually eliminated all my LSPI .. I still use Mos2 and alternate every fourth oil change to Ceratec . My used oil reports are very comparable to the Driven oil reports. I would just use Driven oil , unfortunately here in Canada the price for Driven oil is ridiculous ...
This is also what I do, except I don't use ceretec, just Mos2 and any A40 approved 5w-40 which around me is usually Castrol Edge Euro.

Funny thing is I also have a 2012 535i Msport and 2017 Infiniti QX30 and have been using Ceretec on both cars for a couple years now. It just seems to be the history and usage at least on these forums suggest Mos2 as more proven over time vs ceretec.

Last edited by aasilvia; 03-19-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
My M97.01 engine was getting LSPI with Liqui Moly and Mos2 so I switch my oil to Motul 5w40 x-cess and it virtually eliminated all my LSPI .. I still use Mos2 and alternate every fourth oil change to Ceratec . My used oil reports are very comparable to the Driven oil reports. I would just use Driven oil , unfortunately here in Canada the price for Driven oil is ridiculous ...
LSPI on a 3.6/3.8L flat6 is very avoidable. Just do no not lug the engine.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:50 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

To complete the report on additives… I also use LM DI-Jectron to maintain/service the injection pipeline. One bottle every 2400 miles. I also use standard Jectron on my port injected engine in another car (that one a bottle every 1200 miles). Stopped using StaBil 360.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:07 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Why does no one talk about Pennzoil Ultra platinum? It contains moly and Lake Speed did a video on it saying that he was going to use it in his Porsche. Seems like a much better oil than Mobile 1. I'm going to switch from Motul to the Ultra next change.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:17 PM
aasilvia
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
LSPI on a 3.6/3.8L flat6 is very avoidable. Just do no not lug the engine.
I agree, but how do you balance not lugging the engine with also keeping revs under 3000rpm until you get to operating temp? This seems like a bit of push/pull at least during the initial startup of your engine. Unless, you're not lugging the engine if you're driving under 3000rpm but in the proper gear?
Old 03-19-2024, 05:31 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 200 Posts

THIS >>>>>
Originally Posted by aasilvia
Unless, you're not lugging the engine if you're driving under 3000rpm but in the proper gear?
ADias (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 06:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aasilvia
I agree, but how do you balance not lugging the engine with also keeping revs under 3000rpm until you get to operating temp? This seems like a bit of push/pull at least during the initial startup of your engine. Unless, you're not lugging the engine if you're driving under 3000rpm but in the proper gear?

Precisely! 3000RPM is a good range. No need to lug the engine in that range, just use the right gear as you well said.

LSPI, IMHO, is improper engine use. Even in smaller engines, but yeah I see a lot of that.

Quick Reply: Ceratec Ceramic + MoS2 vs MoS2 only? Flame alert!!!