Sponsored by:

Opinions on tarett rear toe control arm on non tracked car

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 08:21 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Opinions on tarett rear toe control arm on non tracked car

I just say a post where tarett rear toe control arms were discussed... I do not do track, but do lots of very spirited canyon driving! Lots of left to right and vice versa transitions.. Would the improvement in installing these be worth it???
Old 04-01-2024, 10:13 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
I just say a post where tarett rear toe control arms were discussed... I do not do track, but do lots of very spirited canyon driving! Lots of left to right and vice versa transitions.. Would the improvement in installing these be worth it???
I would get your alignment checked/updated. If your rear toe is asymmetric and/or out (as in toe out), you definitely need realignment and the locking kits are a cheap way to keep it from changing. For the cost, I would buy a set and have them handy for your realignment.

How do I say this without being condescending? Spirited driving is not track driving. If you are street driving hard enough to loosen your alignment, then you're dangerous. Why not give track driving a chance? Should be easy enough to try. You will see the difference, and you just may start the slippery slope slide!!

Cheers.
The following 2 users liked this post by steveP911:
jbkusa (04-01-2024), nwGTS (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 09:43 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Did track time before... not anymore... alignment is spot on... but more concerned is there really is a diff that can be felt with very little toe changes with the rear suspension when compressing and extending the rear with the removal of the rubber bushings from the equation... there are 3 advantages with the tarett I see; 1 locked mounting- toe won't change even with extreme forces, 2- removal of the rubber bushings making for a more consistent setting and 3- adjustability... with my driving 1 and 3 really is not a concern it's more of whether number 2 is discernable...

Last edited by slicky rick; 04-02-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:56 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

I would not bother for a street only car unless you see that your rear toe is slipping for whatever reasons. Most of the aftermarket toe arms don't have sealed bearing or even dust boots (only one I can find are the ones from Elephant Racing, which is what I got), so they really aren't best suited for street use.

Btw, if you are hitting over 1g of lateral G on the street, IMO you have bigger worries than suspension setup.
The following users liked this post:
nwGTS (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:31 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 158 Posts

If you're just street driving, you'll see a much greater difference by setting your front toe to zero. The turn in is sharper without being darty. It may tram on highways but I've not really noticed that much and my toe has been at zero since I bought the car 10 years ago.

You may also need aftermarket rear toe control arms if you lower the car beyond SPASM height since the OEM toe control arm can't be adjusted enough to stay within spec when going low.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 3,956 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
I would not bother for a street only car unless you see that your rear toe is slipping for whatever reasons. Most of the aftermarket toe arms don't have sealed bearing or even dust boots (only one I can find are the ones from Elephant Racing, which is what I got), so they really aren't best suited for street use.

Btw, if you are hitting over 1g of lateral G on the street, IMO you have bigger worries than suspension setup.
I put the rubber boots on all my RSS joints...my fingers may never be the same.

My alignment hasn't changed since 2013 when I did this whole project and had it for er balanced.

​​​​​​
Old 04-03-2024, 08:44 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 80 Posts

I lowered my car 20mm from PASM height and did not need to change out to adjustable toe links. I returned the Tarrett links and installed factory links with Elephant monoballs instead.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:28 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
I would get your alignment checked/updated. If your rear toe is asymmetric and/or out (as in toe out), you definitely need realignment and the locking kits are a cheap way to keep it from changing. For the cost, I would buy a set and have them handy for your realignment.

How do I say this without being condescending? Spirited driving is not track driving. If you are street driving hard enough to loosen your alignment, then you're dangerous. Why not give track driving a chance? Should be easy enough to try. You will see the difference, and you just may start the slippery slope slide!!

Cheers.
It doesn’t take hard canyon driving to shift the rear toe adjustment, it can just as easily be done by mistakenly dropping a rear wheel down a pothole or hitting a raised/sunken expansion joint.

I think the benefits of the Cup style adjustable rear toe arms, and specifically the deletion of the rubber bush, is more beneficial on high power/high torque cars with wide grippy tires, such as 996 GT2, and rear wheel drive converted 996 Turbos.

The lockout kit is a good fix for cars which have had their subframes trashed by over-zealous Neanderthals over tightening the toe and camber eccentric bolts/nuts, whereby they no longer clamp the subframe properly. For cars whose crossmembers haven’t been trashed, using the Cup toe links and setting the eccentrics (preferably new bolts, washers and nuts) to their fully inboard setting and torqued up to the factory specs, should ensure they don’t shift.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:49 AM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes it will improve the feel even on the street. I could easily feel the deflection and that squiggly feel in the rear suspension before going to a solid toe link. I used the RRS links but same same. Big difference
Old 04-04-2024, 02:54 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
What problem are you trying to solve? It's difficult to answer your questions without knowing what you're trying to improve (or fix).

Installing Tarett or similar rear toe arms has no huge downside. The NVH impact was negligible when I did it. Changing your rear tire pressures by 2 psi will have a bigger NVH impact than swapping out that one rubber bushing.

If you are experiencing unpredictability in corners that feels like an unwanted alignment deflection, then absolutely investigate and fix what's wrong. These toe control arms may play a role in that solution. But if currently your car feels great and your alignment is holding, then the only effect these will have is a slightly more visceral and direct feel in the rear (all else being equal).

If you decide to proceed, the next question is: what else should you change? All the rubber bushings in these cars are too old to be perfect any more. It quickly becomes a question of how much you want to spend to restore the original feel and consistency of your car (or take it beyond stock to something more precise and visceral).

Have fun!
Old 04-04-2024, 07:54 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I put the rubber boots on all my RSS joints...my fingers may never be the same.
​​​​​​
I went through 3 days of hardship installing rear toe arms because my OEM ball joints were jammed. And even that was no contest compared to trying to slip on the dust boots, lol

Quick Reply: Opinions on tarett rear toe control arm on non tracked car