Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK Noise Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 09:41 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK Noise Question

Recently purchased a ‘09 Carrera PDK w/100k miles. It didn’t have any maintenance records other than the little bit on CARFAX, so I decided to do all maintenance that’s supposed to be completed between 60 and 120k. Part of this was a PDK service, diff service and new motor mounts. I also added Function First soft transmission mount inserts. (The PDK was a little clunky from rest. I figured it was the motor mounts, but also added the inserts for good measure.) I did purchase a transmission mount for my independent to install, but held off as the old one looked decent.

The results have been good. The PDK shifts much smoother accelerating and decelerating. However, I’ve noticed something new. I can hear the PDK pre-selection and engagement clicking into gear, and actually feel it complete gear changes when my arm is on the armrest. Seems more noticeable when it downshifts while decelerating, but that could be that the engine drowns out the clicking gear clicking when under load. The independent mechanic noticed the difference too.

I’m not sure if this is an issue. It’s not necessarily unpleasant, but I like mechanical sounds. It really only bothers me if it’s not supposed to happen. However, I’m curious if maybe the Function First inserts stiffened things up so much, even though they are the soft orange ones, that I can hear and feel what the PDK is doing (also the independent’s theory.)

I’m curious what others think or have experienced. I could always remove the inserts as a test (in hindsight, probably should have done one thing at a time.) Had a 991.1 with PDK that didn’t do this, but realize it was a little more refined than the first gen PDK and this is my first experience with the 997.2.

Last edited by Jclauer; 04-02-2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:54 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

sounds unsettling. can't say I have ever heard a pre-selection sound
curious to hear from others who have the function first mounts installed with PDK, as it's a popular upgrade.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:34 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
sounds unsettling. can't say I have ever heard a pre-selection sound
curious to hear from others who have the function first mounts installed with PDK, as it's a popular upgrade.
Thanks. I’m not worried yet, just curious leaning toward “should I be concerned…” like I’d said, it does feel better, just sounds weird. I might see if I can pick it up on a recording tomorrow and post. It might not be pre selection. I just hear click before it shifts like the clutch is changing, then a click after it shifts.

Also forgot. We did’t do the PDK calibration because when he dropped the pan, it was fluid was on great shape and it was clear that the PDK had been serviced at some point. Since the drive belt was in good shape and the spark plugs had been changed, we figured the PO was keeping up with maintenance. Maybe we are supposed to calibrate after every service?
Old 04-03-2024, 12:26 AM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2009 997.2 with 58k miles.
I have never heard any of the sounds you mention coming from the PDK.
Its fairly quiet to me.
I only hear the stock exhaust when accelerating aggressively.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 735 Posts

2010 C4S PDK with 157K miles.

I have the stiffest motor mounts and transmission bushings. No noise or other symptoms that you describe. Maybe I'm numb.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:58 AM
Jclauer
AutoX

Originally Posted by Rico
I have a 2009 997.2 with 58k miles.
I have never heard any of the sounds you mention coming from the PDK.
Its fairly quiet to me.
I only hear the stock exhaust when accelerating aggressively.
Thank you. I don’t hear it accelerating either. Just engine and stock exhaust too. But when I let off the throttle to brake, I will hear it as it downshifts to stop. Slower speeds like from 50 down to 15 (5th or 6th gear down to 2nd.) I’ve only driven maybe 20 miles since the service and will drive more tomorrow to see if I can nail down the conditions. Also set an appt at the dealership for recalibration.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:30 PM
myltz400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

My money is on the inserts. I have a pair but have not had time to install. Rear motor mounts did wonders for mine in regards to down shifting, over all smoothness but also off idle rpm dip.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:11 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Thought I’d update to close this out. Apparently the sound of click clacks is “normal” according to the dealership tech. He said that these early PDKs do vary from car to car, but since it shifts perfectly, was serviced correctly and didn’t have any material in the transmission pan, I shouldn’t worry about it and it is possible that the inserts are helping transmit some additional sound and feel.

Admittedly, I have pretty acute hearing and a sensitive back side to feel the trans changing gears.

Thanks to any who commented.

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK Noise Question