Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 0W-40 Fans - 997.2 Owners Take Note

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

In light of all of the thoughtful and insightful comments throughout this thread, it's given me pause to deeply contemplate the whole issue of motor oil choices.

And based on the persuasive assertions in the comments posted throughout this thread that imply or overtly suggest that some if not most of the critical motor oil YouTube videos out there are probably nothing more than ploys to get you to spend money on products that they themselves benefit from - I've concluded the following:

Mobil 1 sucks and I'll never use it.

The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (04-22-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Mobil 1 sucks and I'll never use it.
As I said in an earlier post, isn't Mobil1 what you get if you have a Porsche dealership do your oil change. And aren't factory new cars delivered with Mobil 1? I may be behind the power curve on this and have no preference on motor oil but if the factory and the dealerships still keep pouring Mobil 1, how bad can it be? Just curious.
ADias (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 04:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Mileage is the more important factor regardless of which oil you're using.
I've only put a little over 2,000 miles on my car since the last oil change a year ago. Best I can tell it hasn't burned a drop of oil since then. I have the "service now" alert on the dash now. What's your opinion? With what's basically new oil in the engine, can't it go a little longer? If yes, how far would you take it? I've read different opinions on this. Some say the old rule of thumb of oil change once a year or 10K miles whichever comes first is dated and no longer valid. The argument is that the 10K mile reference is still good but once a year regardless of miles during the year should be ignored.

I guess I don't see how new oil and filter a year ago with just over 2,000 miles of use can be damaging to the engine. I don't mind the minor cost of an oil and filter change but I don't like the idea of draining oil that's barely been used along with replacing a filter that probably looks as good as new.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

As long as the oil is not acidic I don't see time as a factor. When does acidity become a problem? Hmmm. At 2K miles I would wait. And with 4 to 5K mile OCIs I don't think acidity becomes a factor in these motors anyway.

The major contaminants over time are fuel and water. Both of these burn off when you drive a long enough distance.

And oxidation over time? I don't see that as a factor either.

Regardless of time (other than years) I would go by mileage.

Just my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Carrera2RS (04-23-2024), vg247 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I've only put a little over 2,000 miles on my car since the last oil change a year ago. Best I can tell it hasn't burned a drop of oil since then. I have the "service now" alert on the dash now. What's your opinion? With what's basically new oil in the engine, can't it go a little longer? If yes, how far would you take it? I've read different opinions on this. Some say the old rule of thumb of oil change once a year or 10K miles whichever comes first is dated and no longer valid. The argument is that the 10K mile reference is still good but once a year regardless of miles during the year should be ignored.

I guess I don't see how new oil and filter a year ago with just over 2,000 miles of use can be damaging to the engine. I don't mind the minor cost of an oil and filter change but I don't like the idea of draining oil that's barely been used along with replacing a filter that probably looks as good as new.
I took my Cayenne to 2 years for 5k miles it's last 2 changes. Metal wear was just a bit higher and acidity level increased just a bit too. I would go 5k miles or 18 months - 2 years might be just a bit too long, although at fewer miles (like the 4,000 you might be at) it might be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
KLS (04-23-2024), vg247 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
As I said in an earlier post, isn't Mobil1 what you get if you have a Porsche dealership do your oil change. And aren't factory new cars delivered with Mobil 1? I may be behind the power curve on this and have no preference on motor oil but if the factory and the dealerships still keep pouring Mobil 1, how bad can it be? Just curious.
I would love to know how much money Porsche receives from Exxon/Mobil to use their oil and put that sticker in the engine compartments. I bet it's astronomical.
The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
Carrera2RS (04-23-2024), Graufuchs (04-23-2024), Ironman88 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:00 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

Oil acidity.... ah... another axe murder hiding in our closets... what, that is silly? Oh yea, how do you really know? Are you in your closet right now?

FWIW, I used Copilot and asked this question: "How long does it take for automobile oil to become acidic in a car?"

Automobile oil typically becomes more acidic with extended use, especially during long oil drain intervals. The buildup of acidity is related to lubricant oxidation and the ability of additives to neutralize the acidic materials formed. Here are some key points:
  1. Acidity Formation:
    • As oil circulates through the engine, it oxidizes due to exposure to high temperatures and contaminants.
    • Oxidation produces acidic compounds in the oil.
  2. Factors Influencing Acidity:
    • Service History: The longer the oil remains in service, the more acidic it becomes.
    • Oil Drain Intervals: Extended intervals lead to greater acidity buildup.
    • Additive Effectiveness: Overbased additives help neutralize acids, but their effectiveness diminishes over time.
  3. Monitoring Acidity:
    • Infrared spectroscopy is a meaningful method to monitor acidity and the neutralization of corrosive acids in the oil.
    • It provides insights into the performance of metallic detergents and the concept of “reserve TBN” (Total Base Number).
  4. Maintenance Recommendations:
    • Regular oil changes (around every 5,000 miles or 6 months) help maintain oil quality.
    • Fresh oil replaces acidic oil, ensuring proper lubrication and preventing engine corrosion.
Remember to follow your vehicle manufacturer’s recommended oil change intervals to prevent excessive acidity buildup and maintain engine health. 🚗🔧 1: Control of Engine Oil Acidity - SAE International
-------
What I find interesting about the above answer, is acidity is caused by use, not sitting or lack of use.... implication is you can let your car sit forever. I will note that as I understand it, if you car is stored, cycling between cool at night and warm at day, condensation will form on the inside of you engine and that can cause corrosion... another murderer in your closet.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (in Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-23-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:11 PM
myltz400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I heard Exxon/mobile was caught buying used cars on the private market to cover up excessive wear in the engines. The collusion is thought to be between a few major automotive companies and the problem seems to be crappy oil.

Meanwhile a micro company in Georgia owned by an unsuccessful race family was purchased for billions by NASA due their patented discovery of a solution that totally prevents metal on metal wear.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:55 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I would love to know how much money Porsche receives from Exxon/Mobil to use their oil and put that sticker in the engine compartments. I bet it's astronomical.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Extension-Deal

https://investor.exxonmobil.com/news...n-of-strategic

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/Wha...-collaboration

"Strategic Collaboration" which is perfectly fine, however ...these rarely benefit the consumer. Is this the BEST oil for your car or is it an OK oil for your car, that's the question.

Mobil 1 has gone under numerous formula changes over the years, I stopped using it in the mid 2000's after the initial change. I believe it was a lower zinc content and a high detergent content. (83 911 SC at the time)

Since then I don't trust the brand anymore. That's my personal experience.

Old 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
"Strategic Collaboration" which is perfectly fine, however ...these rarely benefit the consumer. Is this the BEST oil for your car or is it an OK oil for your car, that's the question.

Mobil 1 has gone under numerous formula changes over the years, I stopped using it in the mid 2000's after the initial change. I believe it was a lower zinc content and a high detergent content. (83 911 SC at the time)

Since then I don't trust the brand anymore. That's my personal experience.
Interesting, but I don't see anything in these articles that suggest something bad for Porsche car owners. Porsche has long-term, strategic relationships with many suppliers... Porsche does not cast its own blocks... nor make control arms, nor make electronics... and on and on and on... Oil is one of the components from vendors that consumers can buy directly at many retail outlets, so I am not surprised the nature of the relationship is a bit different than say engine management systems. It benefits both to co-brand each for the benefit of the other. The benefits could be raw sales or discount pricing... I don't see this as any indication the products marketed this way, or the business relationship, will result in a compromised, lower-than needed quality product.

After all, in general, all out-sourced components are usually awarded to the lowest bidder who can meet specifications... in all industries.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-23-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 736 Posts

I ran Mobile One 0-40 in my 2010 C4S PDK for 135K miles. My wear metals were the same as Pete's with Driven when I had the same miles between OCIs. What I did notice is that above 4 or 5K miles the metal numbers climbed at a faster rate.

This was with or without MoS2. In retrospect I would not recommend more than 4K miles between changes with this oil.

So I switched to LM (blue jug) and added MoS2. Impressions and observations
... The car seemed to run a bit quieter. While I had never burned oil before, I burned a half quart between changes with this oil.

I just did my third oil change. Cross contamination should not be a factor. The sample is mailed and I'll see what the results are.

In the meantime, I picked up 8 quarts of Driven DI and that is in the car now. I'm curious to see the differences. Results? To be seen.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2024, 01:20 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 919 Posts

Porsche branded products are all manufactured by someone else to their specs or paid to use the branding
this does not mean that aftermarket is inferior or not to spec
the challenge is dissecting the info which is nearly impossible because manufacturers have layers and cross referencing with label owners
so follow the light it could be a way out or a train coming at you 😳
The following 2 users liked this post by EVOMMM:
Graufuchs (04-23-2024), Ironman88 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:04 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 531 Posts

Remember, a manufacturer specified oil only has to help get the engine past the warranty expiration date. Not a day later.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Remember, a manufacturer specified oil only has to help get the engine past the warranty expiration date. Not a day later.
Not to mention the factory specified maintenance schedule with the 10,000 mile oil change interval.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Also, the A40 additive package guarantees the exhaust system (cats) will make it to the 10 year mandatory emissions warranty, so they're short on Phosphorous and Zinc to mitigate the risk of cat replacement. Those components prevent valve train wear but at the potential risk of cat damage, and cats are expensive from a warranty standpoint. I'd rather buy new high performance cats for $1,500 then do a $5,000 head job but Porsche has figure out what package makes the cats and rest.of the engine make it paat the warranty periods.

If using an A40 approved oil, it probably doesn't matter much which one you use because they all use the same base additive package. What separates the Driven oils is that they're NOT A40 approved and why they have the high ZDDP and Moly that other oils don't since those aren't in the A40 package
Graufuchs (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0W-40 Fans - 997.2 Owners Take Note