Sponsored by:

FCP Euro Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 07:06 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry FCP Euro Experience

What is the general feeling about FCP Euro? I’ve ordered from them without any problems previously, but have an issue I wanted to float out there.

I purchased a Front/Rear brake kit for the 997.2. When the tech received, it didn’t fit. Further cross-checks showed that the kit was for a 997.1.

FCP doesn’t have a place to enter VIN like some sites, so when you add a vehicle to your “garage” it uses the year and make/model/trim. Mine is in properly as a 2009 Carrera Coupe. When the brake kit pulls up, and you look at the fitment tab, the 2009 model is in there. If I had entered my vehicle as a MY 2010, a search for brake kits returns the correct kits and part numbers. Its fitment tab also shows the 2009 model. I’ve ordered a host of other parts for deferred maintenance correction, and they all seemed to be correct. My guess is this is just a standalone database error.

No worries, right. I’ll just RMA the kit and get the correct one. FCP’s policy is that they do not reimburse return shipping costs. Problem is, the parts in the brake kit come in three boxes, weigh over 100 lbs, and cost about $200 for the cheapest UPS shipping. To add insult to injury, the return address for the RMA didn’t have their suite #, and UPS charged another $21 per package for an incorrect address.

FCP customer service doesn’t seem interested in owning up to the errors. After I provided the agent my VIN, he provided a screenshot of the same 2009 kit showing a need to confirm fitment, where my exact same search returns a confirmed fit. His screenshot doesn’t show the VIN, but that seems like it could be the only way the results would pull up differently. (I sent my search result screenshot to them with no response.)

Technically, FCP doesn’t have to do a thing and just adhere to their policy. However, I would think they would correct their issue and do something to reimburse some of those shipping charges. I’ve received a refund for all the parts I returned, so all’s good there. The lesson here for me is to call sales first and confirm fitment after providing my VIN since I can’t trust the search results (or just load my car with the 2010 MY.) However, I was curious what others think and does anyone have a preferred source for parts. (I’ve used Pelican a lot too.)

Update: FCP did refund the $63 for the RMA address error

Last edited by Jclauer; 04-16-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:30 PM
duns997gts
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I just contact them today for rotors for my 997 GTS.

They said the part will 'Work' for my car but could not tell me if its for center lock wheels. But it will fit?
Old 04-16-2024, 08:13 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 381 Posts

Agreed, it's best to talk to them before ordering anything expensive/heavy just to make sure. I need to talk them about some parts I want to order. What is the contact number for FCP? Apparently I am an idiot because every time I click on the Talk to Us link it always spawns their Chatbot window. TIA.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:23 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

They don’t provide a phone number on the website (I hate that trend.) I went to the contact us chatbot and fumbled around until I seemed to find the number. It wasn’t easy, which is another reason I think they should own the mistake. If their website data is bad and you can’t enter a VIN to confirm, it would be nice to easily speak with someone. The bot isn’t too smart. Number is 860-388-9001
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 09:36 PM
digs
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

I have been using them with good results , too bad shipping is such a costly situation for you .That can make local suppliers more attractive for sure ? Free replacement is tough to overlook on the other side of the coin !
I usually talk to order with most of my online buys anyway ? Old fashion I know .
Old 04-16-2024, 09:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

2009 C2S 197K miles

My experience with them has been very very good... not always the lowest price, but you get the drill.

I virtually never rely on on-line vendor matches to my car... I just never thought to do it as I am paranoid... too many parts for too many variations for too many makers... just a risky situation as far as I'm concerned. Download the Porsche parts diagrams and catalog direct from Porsche, find your part number and shop that part number. That is the way I have always done it. If you enter an old part number, usually the last two digit sequence number changes over time, the parts site will tell you what the updated part number is... I usually google that new number and just cross check.

Get your catalog (they used to spell it Katalog) from Porsche here: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...artscatalogue/
BTW, in that PDF catalog, you will see a column called "model"... that is where you can differentiate an S vs base etc... they use some goofy codes but the lexicon of codes is in the front of the PDF.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-16-2024 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPatrick31 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:40 AM
Jclauer
AutoX

Originally Posted by digs
I have been using them with good results , too bad shipping is such a costly situation for you .That can make local suppliers more attractive for sure ? Free replacement is tough to overlook on the other side of the coin !
I usually talk to order with most of my online buys anyway ? Old fashion I know .
Thanks. It was just expensive to return because there were four rotors. They aren’t exactly light. If it wasn’t for that, return costs would have been reasonable.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Jclauer
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 197K miles

My experience with them has been very very good... not always the lowest price, but you get the drill.

I virtually never rely on on-line vendor matches to my car... I just never thought to do it as I am paranoid... too many parts for too many variations for too many makers... just a risky situation as far as I'm concerned. Download the Porsche parts diagrams and catalog direct from Porsche, find your part number and shop that part number. That is the way I have always done it. If you enter an old part number, usually the last two digit sequence number changes over time, the parts site will tell you what the updated part number is... I usually google that new number and just cross check.

Get your catalog (they used to spell it Katalog) from Porsche here: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...artscatalogue/
BTW, in that PDF catalog, you will see a column called "model"... that is where you can differentiate an S vs base etc... they use some goofy codes but the lexicon of codes is in the front of the PDF.

Peace
What’s funny is I am usually that guy too. I even already have parts catalog pdfs for the Porsche models I’ve owned. I could have looked at Eurospares which also has diagrams of all the systems and associated parts…However I’ve been using FCP for a few years with great luck, and got used to their parts catalog being accurate and full of good choices. My fault for not double checking them - but shouldn’t have to. If I had to guess, whomever developed and entered information for database queries isn’t a Porsche person. If they were, they would understand the mid-year and mid-cycle model changes and develop a query response that asks a few more questions. (Or at a minimum, a caveat that you as a customer needs to double check or call for verification.)

I think the point of their website is to make it easy for retail customers (us) or really small indies to navigate what can be a difficult procurement process by aggregating available parts from multiple distributors. Correct, they aren’t the cheapest, but they are supposed to be convenient, accurate and quick. (A good example of that is the assemblage of these service kits.) Most shops aren’t going to rely on FCP and buy through other sources on terms vs. by transaction etc.

I guess being semi-retired, cranky, and with time on my hands combined with the CS rep’s refusal to answer my questions or acknowledge that there is indeed an error is rubbing me the wrong way. The $200 sucks, but isn’t a huge deal. Their response is. (This issue came on the heels of another parts order where the picker threw dozens of parts in a huge box that was 1/3 full with no protective packaging. It fell apart during transit and was a huge hassle to inventory and check for missing or damaged items.) Also means I will probably go out of my way to source from other vendors unless I have to use them again.

Cheers. PS, I love that you’ve got 200k miles on yours. If these cars had souls, they’d love being appreciated like that.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

I order from FCP a lot and have never had an issue with them making an error right. I would call in again and see if you get a different customer service rep that's more helpful. See if you can get Kevin K or Jason M and tell him he came recommended by another active Rennlist member.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:57 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 432 Posts

Order a lot from FCP, prices are fair to good depending on what it is. Customer service on occasion is lacking at times.

If the parts were listed for your vehicle, they should cover the return shipping, its an error on their end.

That is the bottom line and if I shipped parts out to a customer that didn't fit I would send a return label and eat it. It was extremely rare but it happened.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 866 Posts

I had received a defective control arm from them... before they agreed to a return/replace, they wanted evidence, a picture. So I sent them a picture of my caliper on the their part and one with the caliper on my Porsche original showing 1 mm difference. They then sent me out a new part without return... I got the part overnight.

Peace
Old 04-17-2024, 12:18 PM
jalvani
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I've used FCP Euro a ton over the years - a longtime Audi and MINI guy. They're fine. I had the same experience where Pelican sent me 997.1 parts when I needed .2 recently, despite my informing them I needed the .2 parts. With all vendors, screwups happen but how they respond to them is the part worth focusing on. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the parts I need from them and escalate. You're right that it's the principle.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

They arent what they used to be for a lot of reasons. Rmeuropean is who I've used lately
Old 04-19-2024, 08:46 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
They arent what they used to be for a lot of reasons. Rmeuropean is who I've used lately
Wow their pricing is pretty good
Old 04-19-2024, 11:56 PM
Jclauer
AutoX

Just an update. I received an email from a gentleman in charge of the catalog that saw this thread and he offered to refund the shipping charge. That was super nice of him. I haven’t seen it yet, but am sure it will hit at some point. Thanks all for your input, insight and suggestions.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jclauer:
dave_987 (04-22-2024), digs (04-20-2024), Graufuchs (04-20-2024)

Quick Reply: FCP Euro Experience