Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bravo Porsche!. Earnings high...but quality low.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But this enthusiast owner didn't have to worry about fancy elctrical graemlins, such as electric trunk opener (why the **** does a car need to have electric trunk opener anyway?!
The 911 being touted as a practical everyday car, its very very convenient to not have to go into the car to unlatch the trunk. Imagine if you have your hands full, with say groceries, you can just have your key and open the trunk, since there is no key hole for it. How's that?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

There are problems with any car when new.....

Who cares! Life is to short to not drink fine wine, enjoy fine women and drive fast cars!!!!!!!!

Here here. I'll drink to that. Viva la Porsche!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
The 911 being touted as a practical everyday car, its very very convenient to not have to go into the car to unlatch the trunk. Imagine if you have your hands full, with say groceries, you can just have your key and open the trunk, since there is no key hole for it. How's that?
Sure it's more convinient but for a guy like me who wants his sportscar as a sportscar it's useless. All I care are the things that make the car go, turn or stop faster. Some basic things as heating & a/c I can accept since without them in certain climates it would just be unbearable.

But as far as electrical things such as trunk latches etc. I'm not lazy enough to need the "convinience" of electrical trunk, I can to open the door and unlatch the trunk, even if it means I need to lover my bag to the ground.

There are always more things such as that trunk opener, I mean wouldn't it be nice if you could remotely start the engine, electrically open the door so you don't have to pull it open, especially if you have your hands full of groceries... (sorry, couldn't resist ) seat belt would automatically close (remember those car in the 80's...) & so on, all these "conviniences" mean more weight, which is enemy of an sportscar, not to mention they can create more problems as we have learned.

To me, 997 GT3 with bucket seats, stripped out interior (ala 911, 964, 993 RS'), non power steering, non ABS, non sunroof, non cupholder etc. with only a/c or heat (depending whether I have it here or in Finland, but I don't need both) would be perfect new Porsche model.

When I need luxury of leather & comfortable ride, I'll take MB, Volvo, Lexus or similar, I don't want to compromise my sportscar with "features" for "everyone.

If I were responsible for Porsche models, there would be this kind of "stripped" model available from all 997 variation: S, GT3 & TT.
I know they would not sold in big numbers but since they would all be stripped out versions, that would be ok. By doing those "sptripped" versions I would keep enthusiast and motor journalists very happy which would make Porsche more "real sportscar" again which then would sell more those "pimped" out models which in the end would make stock owners happy too.

And in the end I honestly beleive Porsche as a brand would benefit from that.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911

Your class is exceeded only by your wit.
That is kind of you.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Viken you may be out of line. He indicated his opinion and reasons for his judgment regarding Porsche. Also, recent quality surveys show Porsche has taken the biggest fall. Now I know the comeback line is quality is only an issue with with the Cayenne and that is the reason for the big fall. That may or may not be so.

BTW according to the today's Wall Street Journal , Porsche sport cars have sustained a 43% drop in sales from 2001. There may be more at work here than your ownership of a GT3.
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=334811

Don't you honestly have anything better to do with your day than repeatedly troll Porsche forums?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=334811

Don't you honestly have anything better to do with your day than repeatedly troll Porsche forums?
Too bad these search links are not valid for more than one time. For those who are wondering, that was a search of all Nick's posts on Rennlist. If you guys think that's bad, go search for his posts on Rennteam. It is great entertainment.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:30 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viken
Too bad these search links are not valid for more than one time. For those who are wondering, that was a search of all Nick's posts on Rennlist. If you guys think that's bad, go search for his posts on Rennteam. It is great entertainment.
I threw him on my ignore list over there. He peddles his opinions and biases as fact with little viable support in an effort to rile up Porsche owners.

It's rather pathetic when you think about it - A Ferrari owner who gets his jollies out of going to Porsche forums and belittling everyone's purchases.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

i dont know why all this complain about quality. yes, 996 isn't the best. but my 993 wsan't any better made than comtemporary bmw or even hondas. same goes with my 964. i am talking about quality of matierial and workmanship here. porsche isn't known for that. my 1993 miata has less rattle than 993 or 964 and it's far cheaper. i bought p car for it's performance. try prosche brakes even the non big reds. they are far far better than anything out there (other than ferrari's, as i haven't logged enough mileage on those)... the brake pedal feel alone on any porsche is worth the price of entry.
as far as porsche making big profit and margin, great. it shows they are smart and if you don't like them to making big profit, just buy somethings else.............
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread began by a Porsche owner who expressed concern regarding Porsche as a company. The response by most of the posters( included the board moderator) was to viciously attack him. When I defended his and my position, rather than counter argue the points raised, I was personally attached. Surprise suprise.

Let me put your small minds at ease because you need the security. Porsche makes the world best cars, has the best resale value and is the most stylish car that ever graced this planet. Now feel good about yourselves; go out drive your Porsche's and enjoy them.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread began by a Porsche owner who expressed concern regarding Porsche as a company. The response by most of the posters( included the board moderator) was to viciously attack him. When I defended his and my position, rather than counter argue the points raised, I was personally attached. Surprise suprise. Let me put your small minds at ease because you need the security. Porsche makes the world best cars, has the best resale value and is the most stylish car that ever graced this planet. Now feel good about yourselves; go out drive your Porsche's and enjoy them.
You call this a vicious attack, Nick?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...82&postcount=3

If so, you need to get your head examined.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was personally attached. Surprise suprise.
Well, I for one think that it's really nice that you're attached, Nick. Good for you. But, you don't think that maybe she's just with you for the Ferrari, do you?
Old 04-03-2005, 05:38 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

This thread began by a Porsche owner who expressed concern regarding Porsche as a company. The response by most of the posters( included the board moderator) was to viciously attack him. When I defended his and my position, rather than counter argue the points raised, I was personally attached. Surprise suprise.

Let me put your small minds at ease because you need the security. Porsche makes the world best cars, has the best resale value and is the most stylish car that ever graced this planet. Now feel good about yourselves; go out drive your Porsche's and enjoy them.
Those who live in glass houses, etc., etc.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine that, a mayority of posters of a Porsche enthusiast site spoke in favor of Porsche, what nerve they have... no wonder that a non-Porsche sportcar owner who patrols the Porsche forums just to bash Porsche every chance he gets is outraged at that conduct...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
You call this a vicious attack, Nick?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...82&postcount=3

If so, you need to get your head examined.
Viken I can go through the majority of Poster's here and find ALL their post are positive about Porsche. Are they pathetic and sick?

Your comments regarding Raul post were totally out of line for a moderator. He had an opinion, gave it and was chastised by you and others joined into bashing. Yes I think that is vicious to the point he began to regret posting his comments.

I have posted that Porsche makes a fine sport car. My beef is with the direction Porsche is taking with its cars. Especially its approach with its customer base. I plan to continue my negative comments when warranted.

Once again why not attack my points as opposed to attacking me.

A good starting point is to list your vin# and the number of days you tracked your car. Why don't the rest of you do the same? After all, Porsche is selling you a car for the track and street and even options a sport clock for the track.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Once again why not attack my points as opposed to attacking me.
Because you make no points that are either worth addressing or are so transparent that they're obviously seen as an attempt to take a cheap shot at Porsche's design/marketing/sales/quality/customer service.

You, sir, are nothing more than a:

People come here to share an interest and a passion, not defend their purchase from some condescending poseur.

Last edited by MrBonus; 04-03-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Bravo Porsche!. Earnings high...but quality low.