Sponsored by:

How did/do you endure the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:31 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did/do you endure the wait?

Any ideas? Weather's getting good and I'm seeing lots of hot cars out there.

HTF are we waiters supposed to get thru a Carrera-less summer to the September delivery?

Any books, tips, special gifts, activities, distractions or medications you can recommend?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
sactogreg
Intermediate

Keep trolling the dealerships for canceled orders... then buy one that's pretty close to what you want! That's what I ended up doing, and I couldn't be happier!!! :-)
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Tse-Tse
Instructor

My car was supposed to be here last week. I'm dying.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm actually hoping mine gets delayed some. We're in the process of selling our home and buying another one. I'd rather have the car arrive after we've moved in and gotten unpacked and settled. But it doesn't look like that will happen.

It's just another case of Murphy's Law: That whatever you wish to happen, the opposite is likely to happen.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

If you think the wait is bad now . . . .

It gets much worse when your dealer calls and tells you that your new baby is on a boat.

I'm supposed to get my base 997 at the end of the month. The waiting was easier when the car was just an idea. Now that there is a physical embodiment of it out there some where, my patience has evaporated.

My only distraction is tons of work.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean. My sales lady informed me about two weeks ago that my order has an estimated completion date of May 9th. So that means my car is probably built by now, and all we're waiting for is a VIN number. So yeah, I'm starting to think about it more lately, now that my order on paper has probably been turned into an actual car fully configured with everything I ordered, with only time now separating me from my baby. I can just smell the strong scent of rich quality leather.... DOH!... Now I've done it! I can't get it out of my mind, just like a song that sticks and you can't shake it! ... Thanks a lot Bodhi!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

You ask "how we endure the wait"....some of us don't or can't, so we buy off the floor.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

endure the wait.......think about this. I was told my car would be delivered in mid to late August. I was then told Sept 10th. I was leaving on vacation the last two weeks of September. The car did not show up. I was then told it would be waiting for me upon my return. I got back and had my wife take me to pick it up.......it was not there! The sales manager told me the boat was held up by the hurricanes and it would be there in a couple of days........It did not show up and the sales manager left and moved back to Atlanta from St. Petersburg. I then found out he did not order the car when he should have and the car was scheduled for delivery in mid November........and it was finally delivered on November 14th.
P.S. I sold my nice Boxster in mid August.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Sold my 1996 993 on April 15th for a September 15-30 997S anticipated delivery. But had to sell the 993 in the spring to get the best dollars. So, after 4 years with the 993 I am convertible-less for the first time - and it SUCKS. Only saving grace is that the weather is less than spetatcular in the Mid-Atlantic, for now.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:55 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcf7
You ask "how we endure the wait"....some of us don't or can't, so we buy off the floor.

Thats what I did. I couldn't wait the two weeks it took for my car to be unloaded at the port. There is something to be said for immediate gratification.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The answer is alcohol my friend. The answer is at the bottom of the bottle. Seek and ye shall find.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:32 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
The answer is alcohol my friend. The answer is at the bottom of the bottle. Seek and ye shall find.
OR, get on a treadmill, run as FAST as you can so you tear your meniscus, then schedule knee surgery and have the operation, then get a prescription for percoset for the post-op pain. I know that did it for me, as I had my operation one week ago today, and feel 'much' better. As a plus, tear your left knee meniscus so you can't drive a clutch anyway.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I feel your pain. Sold my 1996 993 on April 15th for a September 15-30 997S anticipated delivery. But had to sell the 993 in the spring to get the best dollars. So, after 4 years with the 993 I am convertible-less for the first time - and it SUCKS. Only saving grace is that the weather is less than spetatcular in the Mid-Atlantic, for now.
Left my 97 Cab at the dealer last week, same reason. Build date on my C2S Cab from the dealer's Feb order was supposed to be last week, told the sale mgr if it's built Fri. 13, forget it....
I'm very much looking forward to it's delivery....June /July..
Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey, hang in there my friend. I placed my order the end of November and I finally will receive my car next week. It was completed on 4-20-05 and placed on a ship 5-04-05. The ship landed in Baltimore yesterday. Not bad, twelve days to get across the Atlantic. One week to go through customs and processing where they check for any manufacturing defects, and then a five hour ride up the 95 to Danbury, Ct. What a saga, but well worth it. How I got through it was plannig on what I could do at the moment to pass the time. I bought some accessories that I would eventually like such as key rings and hats. Purchased magazines such as GT Porsche, and Excellence and read as much as I could in the meantime. I also learned a lot by reading what others have done to their cars by adding pedal sets, clear side markers, springs etc... Learned how the engines were built as this could give me better insight on how to care for my first Porsche. And I just watched the calendar. Next week will be worth it. The baby I ordered will be here. That's how you make it. Good luck.

Jay (April Build)
Atlas Grey Metallic
997 S Cabriolet
Sport Chrono
Nav
Full Leather, black
Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM
PV
Pro

By posting this thread every week untill delivery. We will keep you going

Quick Reply: How did/do you endure the wait?