Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:10 PM
brickster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed xm on a 996 cab. antenna was under the front louvers in front of the windshield. worked fine. no external evidence of an antenna at all. don't know if the same works on the 997
Old 01-12-2006, 07:27 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Has anyone else here considered removing their stereo head unit and installing an after-market unit? I need satellite radio again (Howard Stern), iPod connection and hands-free BlueTooth for my phone.

Alpine is coming out soon with a "double-din" (double the height of regular head units) unit with all that stuff. It has a touch screen to control everything, even your iPod. I figure that if I can carefully remove the Porsche unit I can then have it reinstalled before resale.

I laugh at those stating that if you buy a sports cars you should not have all these extra gadgets, i.e. pop-corn maker. I use my 997 as a daily driver and I need Sat radio to keep me awake on the road and I need a hands-free phone to take care of business while on the road. An iPod weighs a lot less than a CD changer full of CDs.

Alpine model IVA-W200: http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=IVA-W200

Has anyone else installed a double-din head unit in their 997.

I love my 997 in every way, but Porsche really blew it on this subject.

Yes, I already wrote Porsche AG about future head units having these options.

'06 997 C2S - Seal Gray
Old 01-14-2006, 06:22 PM
loliver
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrcook02996
You might try to mount the antenna under the plastic by the wipers. I mounted mine on a 996 there and don't have any problems with reception. I put the antenna in the center and routed the wire through a rubber plug in the firewall to the interior.
I think there is someone with a picture of this posted in the 996 forum if you do a search.

This is the way to go. I changed to this location and have a strong signal. The factory GPS antenna appears to be in this location too. I want to change to an inline FM modulator but I ( the custom stereo shop) can not find the adapters needed for the Porsche antenna lead. Any one have any leads?

The 1st week of Stern was worth the cost and effort to add sat radio.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio