Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio

OK I need my Stern!! Going to put sat radio in my 997. The receiver is easy as it fits in the cubby in front of the shifter. However my guy wants to put the antenna on my dash board and I am having a big problem with that. So has anyone placed the antenna out the back window and if so how does it work for you?? Also any pictures of the antenna mounted in the car would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.
Josh
Old 12-14-2005, 03:19 PM
r@rhcrlaw.com
Track Day

As a waiter I am pondering this also. I gave thought to ordering the car with the AM stick roof antenna then swapping it with a satellite antenna. I figured a factory drilled hole was better that the radio installer at a local shop doing it-but I balked. I think mounting to the back window is least offensive-I await my car to figure out how to get the wire from the window into the car inconspicuously. I have not seen any threads on this issue.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

I am with you guys - Porsche really blew it when they passed on the SAT option for the 997. Hell, Cayanne has the option, what about their premium priced 911?!?!?!?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 AM
littlebigfish
Instructor

fm modulator is pretty bad from what i gather
Old 12-15-2005, 11:38 AM
mss8022
Track Day

I installed an XM Radio Pioneer Airware in my 997 Cab S. Did it myself. Used a vent mount just to the right of the steering wheel so that I could see the screen when I needed to. I use it for business (listening to Bloomberg and CNBC).

I put the antenna on the outside of the car just below the rear convertable window (on the piece that goes up when you raise or lower the top). The antenna is magnetic, you just have to be real careful not to move it around when you wash the car.

I tried the antenna on the dash but got terrible reception.

I use the FM modulator in the Pioneer Airware unit. It works fine for listening to the stuff I do with XM (talk) but is not the greatest for music.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car used from a buddy, and he had ATTEMPTED to install the XM. He mounted the display just to the right of the steering wheel, and the little round antenna thingy on the base of the windshield. It's a clean installation that you barely notice. The problem is, it doesn't work! There's not power going to the display. So when I press the power button, it's dead.

Does anyone know how that baby wires into the car's audio system? I'm assuming there's another box mounted up under the dash somewhere, and it wires into the stereo somehow. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:55 PM
mss8022
Track Day

I wired mine into the fuse box in the drivers footwell. Used an "add a circuit" fuse plug to attach it to fuse CF6...that is the switched fuse for the dimmer mirror, the rear window wiper (which I do not have because I have a Cab), and the park assist (which I do not have). You can just plug the wire in there without the add a circuit, but it is cleaner with the add a circuit.

I do not have mine plugged into the stereo system....use FM Modulator. I know of no way to add the audio directly into the stereo system, although my guess is that you could use a direct wire FM modulator that plugs into the OEM radio antenna...I just did not want to take the car apart just to have XM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aerosmith, what about your buddy who has one installed in his 996? Doesn't he have a few scratches from the magnetic base?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
loliver
Instructor

I just had the Sirius S50 installed. If you have to hang something off the dash this is about the best looking thing. This can record up to 50 hours of Sirius, plus MP3 from your computer. I am going to have an inline FM modulator installed between the radio and the antenna lead to clean up the reception from the receiver to the radio. I have done this in another car. It makes the connection nearly perfect. I am still experimenting with the antenna placement. My installer had a great idea but while it works OK, it does drop the signal momentarily along tree lined roads. He removed the front center speaker, made a bracket which lowered the speaker and mounted the antenna above the speaker. You can't see it at all with the speaker grill in place. Some other people have placed the antenna in the back, looking up through the back glass, but this doesn't work if you tint the window.
The installer made the mount and covered it in matching leather, very nice. You can pop the upper part of the receiver off, leaving the bottom part, with the large button, in the car. Then, you can get a home dock station which you plug the upper part in, like an iPod and play it through a home sound system or a computer.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

That's a great install Larry. I just picked up the Sirius Starmate Replay, and find that it fits perfectly in the cubby in front of the shifter. Right now the antenna is in the right corner of the dash, and it's barely noticeable. I usually get excellent reception with the antenna placed at that location. The factory default setting is 88.1, which is my local NPR station. Even with a strong terrestrial signal, the sat radio has no problem overriding that signal and provides very good sound quality.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Jason, did the car have to be wired? I have a lease and don't really want to mess around by taking the car apart or paying a fortune for a system and install that will stay with it when returned.

Would you guys bring the car to a Circuit City type of audio store for install or do I need the dealer?

How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:58 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcf7
Jason, did the car have to be wired? I have a lease and don't really want to mess around by taking the car apart or paying a fortune for a system and install that will stay with it when returned.

Thanks.
Carlos,

My 997 is leased as well. The install took me about 5 minutes, and I am a total goob when it comes to tinkering with wires. Here's how simple it was:

1. I pluged the radio's power cord into the outlet located on the left hand side of the passenger footwell (great spot for an outlet, btw);

2. Called Sirius to activate the account (should have done it on the web since the operator I had barely spoke English); and

3. Set the antenna up on the forward part of the dash.

That's it. No hard wiring, no permanent installs. I will try to conceal the antenna wire a little better but overall, it couldn't have been easier. Some users will install an FM modulator for an even better signal and sound quality, but at this point it isn't necessary for my tastes.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
mss8022
Track Day

A word of caution about using the passenger side footwell aux power plug. I think that plug stays on at all times....and some cigarette lighter chargers use power even if the attached device (in this case, a satellite radio) is turned off. I know this from draining a car battery before even though the xm radio was off.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mss8022
A word of caution about using the passenger side footwell aux power plug. I think that plug stays on at all times....and some cigarette lighter chargers use power even if the attached device (in this case, a satellite radio) is turned off. I know this from draining a car battery before even though the xm radio was off.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I left it plugged in overnight last night with the radio off and had no problems, but It's something I should keep in mind. The radios tend to get warm when drawing power, so maybe I'll go out and check to see if it's powered even with the unit switched off.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 PM
mrcook02996
Advanced

Default antenna placement

You might try to mount the antenna under the plastic by the wipers. I mounted mine on a 996 there and don't have any problems with reception. I put the antenna in the center and routed the wire through a rubber plug in the firewall to the interior.
I think there is someone with a picture of this posted in the 996 forum if you do a search.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio