Sponsored by:

Tell me about the factory paint proccess

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about the factory paint proccess

As some of you may have read I'm in a big battle with PCNA over the prior damage to my car.

They are saying they can just repaint the car and it will be as good as new.

So my question is:
How is the paint applied at the factory and is it "super heated"
and baked on vrs. just spayed on at a body shop?

How will this hold up vrs. factory paint?

And what kind of a loss will I take when I resale the car?

The sticker on the car was $115, 080.00 and I added the PSE and 3M on top of that.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 01-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

A competent paint shop can come very close to matching the workmanship from the factory. Don't be too concerned about it as more and more competent shops are out there. Just be selective.

Even the factory can screw things up. Years ago a new 911 of mine had significant paint damage (thanks to my dealer in Heilbronn, Germany) and it went back the 30 minutes to Zuffenhausen for a total repaint. They did a good job but it did have overspray on it that had to be worked off later.

Another 911 and another paint story,--had a fender worked on and they did such a great job you would never know it wasn't factory. These guys are out there,--so don't get too concerned about it. Just do your homework first in finding them.

Where are you located?

Dan
Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Factory paint is "baked" at high temperature as the car passes through an oven cure conveyor system, as I understand it.

Bodyshop paint cannot obviously be cured at those temps because of the nonmetallic content of the completed car.

Presumably, then, factory paint is more durable than bodyshop paint, though the difference may just be slight.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:33 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Default Repaint

I would not advise you to accept a repaint (don't take this as legal advice). Keep in mind that under the law, you will have to disclose to any subsequent buyer that the car was damaged and had a field repaint. That clearly affects marketability.

To determine the diminution of value, you will need to take a point in time where you would establish as the selling point and obtain a dimminution of value report. If you search the Internet, there are many appraisal/adjuster services available. In that price range you could be looking at $20,000 hit. As examples in a couple of cases we are handling, a Mercedes CLK 2004 is taking a $10,000-$12,000 hit even after restoring with full replacement (no repairs) to factory new from a rear ender.

The big issue is your legal duty to disclose to subsequent buyers. If it was my car, I would not accept it. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The painting process for Porsche vehicles comprises five steps:

Pre-treatment: The fully galvanised bodies are cleaned, degreased and zinc-phosphated.

Cathodic dip priming: Cathodic dip primer is applied to the entire body and baked in at approx. 180º C to enhance corrosion resistance.

Undersealing with seam sealing: The underseal consists of a PVC coating of between 0.4 and 1.3 mm in thickness.

Automatic filler coating: The filler coating serves to protect the body from flying stones. After application, the filler coating is dried at approx. 160º C.

Manual application of top coat: The top coat is applied in special cabins in which clean-room conditions prevail. The drying temperature is approx. 140º C.

In addition to standard and metallic colours, Porsche also offers special colors and custom paintwork. All Porsche paints – with the exception of clear lacquer – are produced by means of an environment-friendly water-based paint technology.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:17 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

MJ, you never cease to amaze me. Man of all knowledge.

Jay
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Sobe
Pro

$115, 080.00 is too much to pay to have a repainted car . Get the attorney ASAP and get another car ordered you will never be happy with a repainted car . Porsche will take the car back but they will make you fight but you can not have your new car repainted it is just not acceptable .

P.S.
those pinholes are fisheyes I went through this with a new 993 in 98 .
Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
[B]
Cathodic dip priming: Cathodic dip primer is applied to the entire body and baked in at approx. 180º C to enhance corrosion resistance.
Can you just get it with protestant dip priming
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 PM
vm
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the paint chemistry body shop paint is never exactly the same as factory paint because the mass production requirements of a factory needs paint that can be cured quickly, hence the high temperature process. Certain brands and types of paints are as good (or even better) than the factory finish. The key point is that the quality depends a lot on the skill of the painter. You can go with a german paint like spies hecker www.spieshecker.com of glasurit www.glasurit.com and specify an urethane (AKA catalyzed enamel). If the paint is hand rubbed it would be even better than the factory finish (no orange peel) and in resale in can be marketed as "custom paint job". The only point is that a paint job like I describe could be up to $10k.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Can you just get it with protestant dip priming
I LOVE it!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am not a paint expert, and don't claim to be, but I recall reading some posts on the 996 forum regarding getting the bumper cover repainted due to having stone chips. Many of them stated that the new clear coat was not as durable as the factory clear coat.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:31 PM
steve775
Instructor

When you get your car painted, request a show-car finish. Maybe then they will try harder and understand upfront what you expect. Demand zero orange-peel.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 192 Likes on 108 Posts

Get a lawyer. Just go see a top notch attorney in your area. I would never accept the car in that condition new from Porsche. It is totally unacceptable.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

At the risk of being repetitive. If you purchased a new car without knowledge that it had previous damage or had been or needed repaint, not only you do not have to take it but you are entitled to your money back and cancellation of contract. Anything else is unacceptable.

In addition you may have additional remedies against the dealer and Porsche. Talk to a commercial litigation attorney. If you PM me, I will discuss with you your legal rights in private.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

do an internet search for lemon law lawyers
there are several that specialize in just such matters
the specialty guys know which buttons to push and get the manufacturer to pick up their tab

Quick Reply: Tell me about the factory paint proccess