Blinking Bottom Oil Bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad to see that Porsche finally put this notice about the moisture/fuel addition to the oil, and the subsequent rapid drop after sustained highway driving.

I drove my 993 from home to Salt Lake City, and was really worried when I checked my oil and was down 2 quarts. I added the 2 qts, drove on to Jackson Hole, Boise and back home and didn't use an appreciable amount after that. Big relief!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben and all, you do know that HAL from the movie just happens to be one letter off from IBM don't you?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 160 Posts

My '06 S has asked for a little oil twice (one bar down, added 1/3 quart each time) in its first 2500 miles, which I considered pretty normal.
However, it has shown me "one bar down" at start up on a Monday, then, without my adding any oil, shown "no bars down" on Tuesday. It's done this more than once, too. So, I've been reluctant to add oil the minute I see "one bar down."
Give me a good old dipstick anytime.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dweiser
Ben and all, you do know that HAL from the movie just happens to be one letter off from IBM don't you?
Of course. That's old movie trivia. Each lettter in the acronym HAL was exactly one letter ahead alphabetically from IBM. Yep, the HAL 9000 - great movie: "I wouldn't do that if I were you Dave."

I also happen to like Stanley Kubrick's last film Eyes Wide Shut as well. Every time it comes on HBO or the other movie channels I make a point of seeing it again and again and again. My wife says I should just buy the DVD since I like it so much. She thinks the reason I like it so much is because Nicole Kidman is fully nude and is having forbidden sex. I have no idea why she would think that - just because I happen to think Nicole Kidman is the hottest goddess ever.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
"I wouldn't do that if I were you Dave."
I heard my PCM say that the other day when I almost put 91 octane in by mistake.
-dave
Old 01-17-2006, 11:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
I heard my PCM say that the other day when I almost put 91 octane in by mistake.
-dave

That was good Dave. That was good.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by npp
GEEZ --
3600 miles on my 06 997 S coupe and I haven't added a drop of oil -- the level is still normal.
Should I be worried?
NPP
yes, your engine can blow up at any minute distroying you and your family and your whole neighborhood....i would get rid of it asap..being the nice guy that i am, i would be willing to take the from you before it causes any futher damage!!!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
boolala
Race Car

That actually is a reasonable question and one I've asked myself. It basically boils down to whether the oil gauge is accurate or not. That's where the real concern lies. I've had my doubts as no oil consumption was recorded after 10,000 miles. I find that hard to believe. On a single occasion it was one bar down only to go back up to baseline until my first oil change yesterday. When I see and hear of fluctuating levels like that it does not engender confidence.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Cogito
Racer

Ben,
www.deepdiscountdvd.com
and the sister site
www.deepdiscountcd.com
low prices, free shipping, no tax.
You'll be able to repeat your fav scenes forever!
p.s. Describe Nicole's "forbidden sex" in an essay of 30 words or less please.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks a lot Don (it is Don, isn't it?). Now I can stock up on my favorite movies!

LOL...As for Nicole's forbidden sex scene, it's actually in the form of a dream she has of being seduced by a Naval Officer. She tells her husband the dream (Tom Cruise - her husband in the movie as well) after she is startled awake from it breathing heavily, and it bothers him later that day as he imagines the things she did in her dream. And of course to be able to show the dream sequence in a movie the actors have to get down and dirty and act it out. It's actually the turning point in the plot, in my opinion. It is here that he decides to try to get even.

Awesome movie. Go rent it if you haven't seen it, and/or you like seeing a lot of gratuitous nudity and sex. ... Oh, did I exceed the 30 words limit?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Cogito
Racer

Thanks Ben. Yes, it's Don here.
Hmmmmm, " .... a lot of gratuitous nudity and sex"?
Excuse me, I think I need to go rent a certain DVD right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:59 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Awesome movie. Go rent it if you haven't seen it, and/or you like seeing a lot of gratuitous nudity and sex. ... Oh, did I exceed the 30 words limit?
I just wished that Cruise would have given it good to the chick in the small apartment. That was a major tease that it never happened.

I think I have watched Full Metal Jacket as many times as you have seen Eyes Wide Shut...Stanley Kubric is great.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 AM
OCBen
Banned

Yes, if you haven't seen it, by all means rent it. It is a good movie that will keep your interest. The tasteful nudity only adds to the realism and lets you get absorbed, drawn in and lost inside this fascinating story.

Quick Reply: Blinking Bottom Oil Bar