Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:26 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally missed the pics!
GREAT!
looks fantastic!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Can you tell us what parts need to be ordered to do the install? Also, what is your PCM revision # 2.1A or 2.1B?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
crg1717
Advanced

thanks for the thourough documentation of your install. the techs at my porsche dealer successfully installed sat. radio on my salesmens car(test case) and will be putting it on my new 911 when it arrives next month. I will definitly have them check out the photos you took . it is members like YOU that makes this forum so useful and informative . I am thanking you now and will be again as i am cruising down twisty roads in the middle of nowhere cranking some old time rock and roll. now if we can do something about the spare tire..... CRG
Old 02-26-2006, 10:19 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few replies....

1. OCBen and LTC - you guys need to chill. You are both very intelligent and know far more than me regarding electronics. I think you are both right in a sense. The reason the cables were looped is because we needed to use two of the three cable harnesses supplied in the parts box. The power and MOST harness (combined in one harness) was simply plug and play and there was not that much excess cable to loop. However, the looping you see is for the antenna. That was part of the two other harnesses that needed to be untapped and separated apart. As you know, the 997 is 1/4 the size of the Cayenne, thus, lots of excess cable to deal with. LTC is correct that the terminations are proprietary in the sense we never saw these before, i.e., not available at the local radio shack and no PAG part number. Ben is correct that we did know there could be a slight degredation of signal but we really think its quite slight. We thought about cutting and soldering to shoren the length but felt our so called hack soldering job would lead to more signal loss than simply looping the cable. So we looped it. Also, if we cut it and "%$$%##@" it up, we would be SOL. The tech is looking into making custom cables for future installs. As someone else mentioned, this area is readily accessable if I choose to deal with this later.

2. PIWIS: Was a hook-up to PIWIS required? Well, yes and no. At least in my car - and your results may vary - after the install when we "turned the key" we hit the AM/FM button twice (from FM to AM and then to SAT) and both the tech and I were quite surprised to see the SAT working perfectly. It appeared the NAV and CD players - both in dash and changer players - worked as well.

However, we still took a ride to the shop to hook up the PIWIS Tester. Sure enough, the SAT seemed to register itself, however, the tech told me things did not line up as they were supposed to "by the book". So he programmed the car with PIWIS the way its supposed to work and guess what? It stopped working. The display said "searching for SAT signal" and we had clear sky. WTF?? Then he reset the car with PIWIS (??) and it worked perfectly again - with his new settings. He said "I thought simply arming the alarm and disarming would do the reset" but then said he forgot that a PIWIS reset was required after changing the MOST system settings.

SO, while it did work "out of the box", apparently it still needed a PIWIS hook-up to do it "by the book" because some changes were needed.

3. I will post screen shots a bit later as requested.

4. Switching to SAT... rjmaclean is correct - cycling the AM/FM button repeatedly selects AM/FM/SAT.

5. I have PCM 2.1B

6. Part numbers were posted earlier in this thread. I forget where and dont know these offhand. But there are 4 kits. 2 for XM and 2 for Sirius. Each XM kit (and Sirius) kit can be ordered for cars WITH CD changers and WITHOUT CD changers. So pick whether you have the CD changer, and then select XM or Sirius to get the right kit.

Finally... I should add that last night I had a "hickkup". It may not be SAT related. See, a few months ago, before all this SAT stuff obviously, I noticed one day when I was driving that the audio data suddenly stopped showing in the instrument cluster near the speedo. The car was in the shop for a scrape repair under the bumper so I thought the body shop messed with a setting, but that was not the case. I was stumped and upset. But I shut off the car, opened the door, closed the door, armed the alarm, waited 30 seconds, un-armed the alarm, opened the door, shut the door, and turned the key, and everything seemed to "reset" and it worked again. That problem did not happen since that event about 3 months ago. I chaulked it up to a gremlin and moved on.

Last night, I get in the car after we went out to dinner with friends and when I switched to SAT, the SAT display was all greyed out with a message that says "To activate your Sirius radio, call [blah blah blah] and nothing worked. WTF? I already registered. I called the number and got the signal resent but nada. I knew it was not their fault anyway. So I am bummed out, right?

I get home and remember the glitch a few months ago. So I do those same steps described above and sure enough everything starts working perfectly again. So, was it SAT related or just a computer glitch? I am going with computer glitch because it makes me feel better. I will let you know if it happens again.

By the way, during the install I said to the tech "this car is amazing - its like a freakin computer" and he told me "actually, this car has 26 computers"!!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict

Last night, I get in the car after we went out to dinner with friends and when I switched to SAT, the SAT display was all greyed out with a message that says "To activate your Sirius radio, call [blah blah blah] and nothing worked. WTF? I already registered. I called the number and got the signal resent but nada. I knew it was not their fault anyway. So I am bummed out, right?

I get home and remember the glitch a few months ago. So I do those same steps described above and sure enough everything starts working perfectly again. So, was it SAT related or just a computer glitch? I am going with computer glitch because it makes me feel better. I will let you know if it happens again.

By the way, during the install I said to the tech "this car is amazing - its like a freakin computer" and he told me "actually, this car has 26 computers"!!!!
Awesome job ADAM!!! In regards to the audio not working, I think you are right. I have 2 newer model BMWs which have as many or more on board computers as the 997, and rarely I will get no audio or navigation function or display. I simply pull over, turn the car off, and restart, just like when you have to reboot your PCs from time to time, and everything works fine!! If you get a chance, will you ask your tech if this would work on a Cayman with PCM and CD changer? My girlfriend is getting one next month. Congrats!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Ill ask the tech about the Cayman, but I can tell you he wont know until someone tries. In theory, it would work because PCM is cross-vehicle technology. The antenna location might be different.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1080i,
The glitch you described is fairly well known....and BTW it happens on the Cayenne as well. It is not directly related to SAT.

You can sometimes get the dash I/P data display working again by merely changing PCM (or CDR23) modes/channels and it will re-initialize. Obviously the 'reboot' method works as well.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Ill ask the tech about the Cayman, but I can tell you he wont know until someone tries. In theory, it would work because PCM is cross-vehicle technology. The antenna location might be different.
The PCM platform comes in 2 S/W variations: 9x6/9x7 and Cayenne (955). Not really sure exactly why, but from a development perspective, they are 99% common...which is why 1080i was successful.

PCM3 (currently under development/testing.....very nice looking unit) will hopefully unify the PCM platform.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The PCM platform comes in 2 S/W variations: 9x6/9x7 and Cayenne (955). Not really sure exactly why, but from a development perspective, they are 99% common...which is why 1080i was successful.

PCM3 (currently under development/testing.....very nice looking unit) will hopefully unify the PCM platform.
Lewis,

Do you think sat radio will work in the cayman with PCM then???
Old 02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Screenshots. Sorry for the out of focus but for close-ups my dig camera is focal challenged:

Last edited by 1080iAddict; 01-07-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for that detailed post install account, Adam. We were enrapt from the start and were able to experience your joys and frustrations vicariously through your very well written account. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

I think if you look for those connectors with the same dogged pursuit you used in getting the system you should be able to find them. Maybe somebody here who is close to La Jolla Audio might be able to pick some up or at least get a part number. Or you might want to visit a local SAT radio installer (for other cars that is) to see if they use the same connectors. Good luck there. Oh, and we hope that gremlin goes into hibernation for good.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ben. That gremlin for now is gone...been out for 3 rides since last night and all is working perfectly. Knock on wood.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.hubersuhner.com/hs-p-rf-con-gr-series-arc
http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...FEAT&LG=1&I=13
FAKRA...funny name,
Old 02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts
Default xm parts for sale?

Congratulations Adam for your great work and Posts.. I was away for the weekend and feel like the Eagle landed and I missed it. I am so impressed with this forum I will have to become a member. It is such a nice feeling to pioneer something....(without a dealer) and be successful. ......If I can't upgrade my 2.1A to 2.1B I will have for sale all the parts for a XM sat radio for a 997 without the CD changer.......I really hope It doesn't come down to that....anyhow it appears that this is now a possibility for those with the 2.1B software.......I will continue to try to get mine working and if you have 2.1A stay tuned.........Again great work Adam!!! and thanks for your help so far.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lockie
......If I can't upgrade my 2.1A to 2.1B I will have for sale all the parts for a XM sat radio for a 997 without the CD changer.......I really hope It doesn't come down to that....anyhow it appears that this is now a possibility for those with the 2.1B software.......I will continue to try to get mine working and if you have 2.1A stay tuned.........Again great work Adam!!! and thanks for your help so far.
2.1A to 2.1B
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=101817
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...hmentid=101818

Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!