Sponsored by:

sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:48 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sports chrono

how about some tips on how to use it? havent had a chance to really play with it yet..any tips would be appreciated
Old 01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
lmmotola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just hit the button.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM
MFC996
Instructor

You might need to play around with your seating position a bit as the quicker throttle response makes the interplay between clutch and throttle depression feel a little different.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
fontaines911
Intermediate

Talking

are you talking about the performance aspect or using it for lap times??

I did figure out the latter and tried to employ it at Willow this weekend but found it tough to remember to hit the stalk to start a new lap at the precise time. Kind of hard when you come out of turn 9 at big Willow- full on in 4th, then hammer it into 5th as you hit 120 on the straight. Maybe it's just me but I just could not think....." hit reset" at that moment.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:58 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i figured out the stop watch..is the performnace aspect just hit the sport button for quicker throttle response?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:01 PM
911csbcn
8th Gear

Default is it possible to get something from sportchrono in pcm

i find using sport chrono too dificult. i thought from the time you define a reference lap, witch has the lengh it would automaticly take times each time it covers that same distance. because if you have to hit the buttom its really hard even if your in the straight line cause maybe your trying to pass someone else. i couldn't introduce a preset lap and compare the first one to it cause for it the first one is always the reference. i asked the dealer and after telling me it was easy i told him to show it to me in the car, and after several tries recogniced he didn't know how to do it. to make it worse the instructions in the manual are absolutly confusing to the point i think they are an awfull translation from german to spanish made by someone that has never used the system.
i would apreciate any help from you all if you've been able to make some good use of the system.
thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Can somebody confirm the above?
I also understood first that once you do the firt lap and define the length of it, then it became and "auto" lap-timer.
However, the dealer told me yesterday whil;e I was trying to use it in a 997S that you always have to press the button every lap... Is this true?
If so, then the functionality of Sport Chrono has been grossely overstated in these boards (IMO, The throttle mapping thing is just a marketing gimmick with no added benefit or performance)
Old 01-30-2006, 10:23 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
If so, then the functionality of Sport Chrono has been grossely overstated in these boards (IMO, The throttle mapping thing is just a marketing gimmick with no added benefit or performance)
Halleluiah, somebody finally sees the light the hard way, after it’s too late to do anything about it, other than trade your car in and order one without the gimmicky gadget. I tried to tell you guys until I was blue in face (oh, I see I'm still blue in the face), but noooooooo.

Your friendly Anti-Wart Activist
Old 01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
henry_fr8
5th Gear

i find the sports chrono / pcm option very useful for storing and compaing lap times. i always start the "first lap" from the pits by pressing on the pcm: trip/sport display/begin trip. thereafter, i control the timing of the start and end of each lap from the stalk control on the steering columb without looking down to the pcm again till i have finished several laps. each time i go past the finish line, i push forward on the stalk control highlighting: interim time then new lap until i go back into the pits then i push onto stop timing. in the pits i can study each lap at leisure on the pcm using the on screen graphs.

driving a tiptronic, i have found the sport button to change the nature of the accelerator giving a much quicker reponse to peddle pressure though i really only use it on the track as i found it to be too responsive for normal road use. i have driven the manual 997s non sport chrono on a pde in australia and have found it to be as responsive as the tiptronic in sport mode, so perhaps sport mode is less effective in manual gearbox vehicles.

henry
Old 01-30-2006, 11:42 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the sport button also increase the treshold for when PSM kicks in?
Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by henry_fr8
i find the sports chrono / pcm option very useful for storing and compaing lap times. i always start the "first lap" from the pits by pressing on the pcm: trip/sport display/begin trip. thereafter, i control the timing of the start and end of each lap from the stalk control on the steering columb without looking down to the pcm again till i have finished several laps. each time i go past the finish line, i push forward on the stalk control highlighting: interim time then new lap until i go back into the pits then i push onto stop timing. in the pits i can study each lap at leisure on the pcm using the on screen graphs.

driving a tiptronic, i have found the sport button to change the nature of the accelerator giving a much quicker reponse to peddle pressure though i really only use it on the track as i found it to be too responsive for normal road use. i have driven the manual 997s non sport chrono on a pde in australia and have found it to be as responsive as the tiptronic in sport mode, so perhaps sport mode is less effective in manual gearbox vehicles.

henry
Agreed that using a lap timer is better than none, but I already do that with a lap timer velcro'ed to the steering wheel (no need for looking down) or a transponder than can be used with some clubs (and $20 one stores up to 100 laps down to 1/1000 secs).
However, having to press at the start/finish every time is very imprecise and your mistake screws up two laps (the one you are finishing and the one you are starting). I care about every tenth as I want to see the effect of any changes I made in that lap.
I also agree that faster gear changes with Triptronic are a real performance enahncement (Probably only performance advantage of whole thing b/c I drive all the time with PSM off, specially at the track), but with due respect I would never buy a Triptronic Sportscar. Not because I'm a believer, as some people are, that manhood goes with depressing a clutch, but because Auto transmissions are inefficient (significant loss through heat and turbulence in the way they transfer torque) and usually have loger than ideal gearing. I would be the first one in line when Porsche comes up with the PDK tranny. (Owned a M3 with SMG and loved it).
Old 01-31-2006, 04:46 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Originally Posted by OCBen
Halleluiah, somebody finally sees the light the hard way, after it’s too late to do anything about it, other than trade your car in and order one without the gimmicky gadget. I tried to tell you guys until I was blue in face (oh, I see I'm still blue in the face), but noooooooo.

Your friendly Anti-Wart Activist
Ben, that's it, I'm moving back to California just to kick your ***!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: sports chrono