Sponsored by:

Cleaning and Conditioning the Leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning and Conditioning the Leather

OC Ben: I promise that I searched this topic and found some responses, but was hoping to get a more comprehensive overview of how people care for their leather. So, my question is, what do you do to keep the leather seats cleaned and conditioned and how often should it be done? Any thoughts re Griot's leather products? I am concerned about clogging the little "pores" or perforations in the leather (I have the standard leather, not supple leather). Thanks!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:35 PM
P997C2S
Advanced

I used Lexol Conditioner and Lexol Cleaner on my '02 996 for almost four years and for 7 years on my BMW. The seats look almost new in both cars. I cleaned/conditioned the seats approx. every three to four months. I plan to do the same thing on my 997.

http://www.lexol.com/newauto.html
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM
MMD
Banned

Whatever you do use the correct product. I use the Porsche leather conditioner for one reason; Porsche approves it. There are horror stories of using some nice expensive but WAY wrong conditioner and softening up the painted leather and making it permanently sticky. Happens in the BMW forums. Anybody here know the trade names of good and the bad stuff?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
rjmaclean
Track Day

I was just going to post a question on this topic but I was afraid of OC Ben's wrath of not doing a proper search first.

I just started to also use Lexol also.

I have a coupe and live in a moderate climate here in SoCAL - so I would be interested in the ratio you should use the Lexol CLEANER and Lexol CONDITIONER or whatever cleaner/conditioner you all use.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by P997C2S
I used Lexol Conditioner and Lexol Cleaner on my '02 996 for almost four years and for 7 years on my BMW. The seats look almost new in both cars. I cleaned/conditioned the seats approx. every three to four months. I plan to do the same thing on my 997.
I too use the Lexol products.

More info here:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=11

www.carcareonline.com
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 PM
steve775
Instructor

LEXOL cleaner and conditioner. The dealer carries these products. Read the FULL instructions, not just those on the bottles.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 AM
raffi
Pro

I have always used the lexol products with good results in my previous 3 p-cars, but recently I purchased the 303 products and I really like them. The UV protectant is excellent for the leather seats and the vinyl dash. Every time I use it the leather feels new again, I have the standard perforated leather. It never leaves a film on my black interior. The lexol on the other hand felt like it left a little shiny film.
I try to use as little cleaner as possible, also, most of the detailing forums recc conditioning the leather before cleaning it as this loosens the dirt or something.
I also use the fabric guard for the carpets.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:31 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My seats are black and basically never dirty. I condition w Lexol wipe.

Zaino has good leather conditioner too. Lexol is easy to get at every auto store
Old 02-03-2006, 06:55 AM
raffi
Pro

I think the lexol would be great for untreated leathers like in older cars or maybe even the natural leather options in a porsche but with these new finishes I have started to prefer the synthetic products like klasse for paint and 303 for the interior.
I still put some wax over the Klasse but feel that I get more protection from these new products that are originally created for aerospace and what not...
maybe I am just falling for marketing schemes but so far I am happy with the results.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

www.colorplus.com Their cleaner and soffener is heads above Lexol products IME.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default !

Keep the Lexol inside the house!

If you really want the best cleaner/conditioner, go with Zaino Z-9 and Z-10. By far the best smelling and best feeling treatment for auto leathers!

For really damaged leather, these's always Leatherique!

I've been in the detail industry for some time and I have always have given customers with high-end cars bottles of Z-9/Z-10 as a gift. Only to those that like to play with their cars.

For rubber/vinyl I use 303 for engine detailing and dash detail as it does leave a flat shine after you wipe it in. It has UV protection as well.

Wheel wells, Meguiars Engine Kote (no longer avalible) or Stoner LTMS spray.

There are many very good high-end conditioners other than Lexol. Auto leathers need the best conditioners! Keep the Lexol inside the house and go and get a really good treatment just for auto leathers, you'll thank me later!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I too use Lexol Conditioner and Lexol Cleaner, go to Walmart to buy, they have great prices on this cleaner!

I tried Maguire’s but it fills up the perferated leather holes and I cannot seem to get it out!

I clean my seats every time I wash my car!

6 year old car and the seats are absolutly brand new! The smell of lether is strong even after 6 years!

Regards
Old 02-04-2006, 12:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
If you really want the best cleaner/conditioner, go with Zaino Z-9 and Z-10. By far the best smelling and best feeling treatment for auto leathers!
So are you saying these products add their own smell to the leather? I used to use a Meguiar's product for leather conditioning but it had too strong of an artificial leather smell to it that I really didn't care for. It overpowered the natural leather smell, as though it was intended instead to be used on vinyl to give it an artificial leather smell.

I'm only interested in a product that enhances the natural smell of leather and not overpower it with its own artificial leather smell. Tell us about your experience with these products as well as any comparisons to other products you used to use.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Lexol: Not much smell of natural leather, but high smell of waxy oils.

Megs: Not bad feel, but poor leather smell.

Hidefood: Very soft feel of leather, but kerosene smell.

Leatherique: Best used for non-treated leathers or very neglected leathers in autos! Even works well on good to fair leather. More labor intensive!

Zaino Z-10: Conditioner is the closest thing to new leather smell I've found. Very good conditioning, less oily feel.

Zaino Z-9: Cleaner works OK. There are better ways to cleaner leather and much cheaper.

Cleaning leather: Woolite, yes Woolite 6 to 1(6 parts distilled water & 1 part Woolite) for not to dirty leather. One of the tricks of the trade! Mix some up, spray it on and work it in. Then, just wipe off excess and any dirt. Works very well and is alwyas easy to get and use. Just make sure you replace your wif'e supply if you borrow, but at 6 to 1 it won't be missed! This is always in the shop in gallons!

Poorboys World: New leather conditioner yet to test.

303 Aerospace: Use ONLY on vinyl/rubber.

Regards,
Deanski
aka: Dr Shine (tm)
Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used Lexol for years as well as Connolly Hide Food (http://www.autogeek.net/conhid.html) However, I don't see much mention of the latter. It's a little more effort than Lexol. Anyone had good/bad experience with Hide Food. I honestly can't see an advantage of one over the other (i.e., Lexol vs Hide Food).

Quick Reply: Cleaning and Conditioning the Leather