Car Bra needed for track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Car Bra needed for track?

Hi everyone,

Thinking of taking the 997S for its and my first track event. The car does not have a clear bra.

I am wondering if I should put a car bra on (those traditional black plastic one) during the track event to avoid taking too many rock chips damage to the front bumper and hood. Are rock chips damage common during track events?

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Are rock chips damage common during track events?
_________
yes, but if you are just donig your first event, there will not be much rock damage unless you go off course.

clear bra does help.

the traditional black bra may flutter around at high speed and flap against the paint, you may want to securely tape down all the edges.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
cmoss

hell yeah
and grease
and oil
and these little bits 'o rubber
yup, it's a mess
Old 04-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

A great idea. I'm taking a bra to Europe to carry me through the three weeks there until I can decide what to do (wrt a clear bra here in the states). I lot of people also go pretty wild with colored tape on their cars covering up headlamp assemblies, etc, and the leading edge of the cars and fenders for the track,--and then remove it after the event. All a good idea. Regular race cars get heavily pelted during even ONE event.

Dan
Old 04-24-2006, 02:11 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubbermaid makes a rubber shelf paper that will work very well for a DE weekend. In combo with Blue painters tape. Shelf paper is tacky glue that comes off...test to make sure you got the right one...the one I'm talking about is Black. Put it on half way up your hood and down the sides. Will stop a lot of stuff..but won;t work agains large rocks..bra will protect agains most anything (Except a bolt or a pig/hog or a deer...I have seen all of these on the track at some point....missed all of them (bra got the bolt stuck in it..did not hurt the car.)

I used a bra fora while but one day it did come loose and you could not tell inside the car...wore a dime size hole in the paint right over the wheel well.....if you use a bra put down LOTS of painters tape in case it comes loose it should save you...if so then here is another tip with the bra....get some packing "cloth foam" thin stuff...get (3-4) layers in shape of head light lens...(just a little bigger) then using racing tape (or duct tape) cover the foam with the tape so that you are making a pad...tuck it UNDER the bra so the bra holds it in place to protect your lenses works great (Pick a race tape color that best suits your car.)

My 996 got the last of its break-in miles on the way to the track for her first event....you hate to see your baby get all chipped up and oiled...but heck....its why I bought mine....rather be behind the wheel at the track than shining it for a show....(oh the next weekend after that track event I won first in class at a local car show.....so you can live in both worlds......)

You 997 owners have my envy...great cars.....

Armando
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a white car so a clear bra will turn yellow, so I got a white bra and use it on the track. I am convienced that it works well because it is a mess when the day is done. Bugs, Rubber, and dirt. Some of the dings I have are all over including the top of the car just aft of the windshield, so the bra is not 100%.

When you do track events it is just like following a truck on the highway....you will get dings. Have fun on the track!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a bra with racers tape. Also put some racers tape on paint so the vinyl/fastners do not rub on directly paint. Should also put racers tape on leading edges of fender wells, mirrors and maybe headlights. After each run check to make sure it stays secure.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

It's all relative to your tolerance for minor "imperfections". If you don't want anything at all, and want to make sure it keeps looking exactly as when showroom new, then yes, you need a Bra. however, even if you use a Bra, you will get a lot stuff in the rear panel due to the wide derriere of our 997S

If you are like me who doesn;t want the paint or metal to be ruined but can tolerate a minor (<1/32" big?) chip, then you are OK if you use one the transparent films (3M in my case).

If you have the film, you just have to be aware that it takes a lot more effort to get the rubber marks out of it, so I certainly recommend taking those right away after each session with one of those "Instant waxes" (Griot's I use) and a cloth.

I have found the paint in the Porsche to be much better than in my prior cars and extremely "chip" resistent, but then my other track car is a Lotus Elise, and that one gets chipped just by a "bad look".

Quick Reply: Car Bra needed for track?