Sponsored by:

I had H&R springs installed this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I had H&R springs installed this week

I finally broke down and decided to go with H&R springs. While I had reservations about messing with the suspension geometry and wearing out the PASM dampers, I had heard enough positive feedback to take the plunge.

Honestly, the difference in ride and handling are almost negligible between stock. The car feels slightly more compliant over smooth surfaces but doesn't suffer from any of the dreaded bump steer often associated with lowering springs.

Overall, you can tell H&R spent time to ensure these springs wouldn't mess with the delicate balance of the stock car, which as most of you know is already extremely well sorted. If you are considering them, understand that the most noticeable improvement will be cosmetic.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
CButler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks fantastic!!

May I ask how much it cost to install them?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CButler
May I ask how much it cost to install them?
I paid ~$1000 at the dealership (Brandywine Porsche) including an alignment. I've heard you can get them installed for cheaper but I don't necessarily feel comfortable shopping for an independent shop.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
rsbartley
Intermediate

Now get spacers-at least in rear.
10-18mm rear, 5mm front
You'll be happy with look.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM
billco
Instructor

What will spacers do?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 382 Posts

Very nice... great color and right height.

Rob
Old 04-28-2006, 11:50 PM
drbf
Pro

Looks great, how is the handling at moderate to higher speeds?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
What will spacers do?
Spacers will move the tires/wheels further out toward the sides of the car, giving you a wider track. Done mostly for looks.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 AM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...anyone have any pics (ideally b4 & after pics of a lowered & spacers car)?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:52 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks nice Ian.

One thing that I've noticed with cars lowered by the H&R springs is that the kit seems to lower the front end more than the back end. At least it always looks like the front end sits much lower after the fact. Don't know if the back end sits higher than the front end from the factory and the springs just lower the car by equal amounts, giving the appearance that the front end sits lower after the fact.

I wonder if it's possible to lower just the rear with the H&R's while keeping the front end stock height, without having adverse effects on handling. Too bad the H&R engineers didn't design the kit so that it lowers the rear more than the front to give the car the appearance of a level ride height.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:13 AM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Looks nice Ian.

One thing that I've noticed with cars lowered by the H&R springs is that the kit seems to lower the front end more than the back end. At least it always looks like the front end sits much lower after the fact. Don't know if the back end sits higher than the front end from the factory and the springs just lower the car by equal amounts, giving the appearance that the front end sits lower after the fact.

I wonder if it's possible to lower just the rear with the H&R's while keeping the front end stock height, without having adverse effects on handling. Too bad the H&R engineers didn't design the kit so that it lowers the rear more than the front to give the car the appearance of a level ride height.
ditto ,in EVERY pic i see with these springs, the front end looks lower than the rear.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:21 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drbf
Looks great, how is the handling at moderate to higher speeds?
It handles largely like the car did stock.

Originally Posted by OCBen
Looks nice Ian.

I believe the raked look is an intended effect. I think if you're really looking for a desired stance, the only viable option is a set of coilovers.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 AM
merbesfield
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Default suspension pics

i too did the H&R swap the first week i owned the car, but my impression is a little different. the car was really comfortable as stock, but after the swap it became fairly rough, much like the sport button was on all the time. does not bother me but could bother others. here are my before and after pics. and yes the front is a little lower, but the is the way all cars are designed from the factory, even pickup trucks. too me the springs are a must b/c the car looks like it is a lifted 4x4 without them. i had my springs ordered before i even took delivery of the car.
Attached Images     
Old 04-29-2006, 10:40 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking at your before pic. you can see that the front end is already sitting a little lower then the rear.Though, I wouldn't want anymore rake then the stock on a aftermarket spring. I also do think spring are a must b/c of the 4x4 look..Oh by the way your car looks great.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

merbesfield, thanks for that before and after pic of the rear end. Most of us here agree that the stock "SUV" ride height of the back end is not a very flattering look. Your after pic highlights the stance that makes the rear look the best.

Yeah, I'd really like to know if it's possible to lower just the rear with no adverse effects on handling. If so, I'll probably do so just for the improved look.

Quick Reply: I had H&R springs installed this week